The easiest and hardest coral to thrive in YOUR saltwater reef aquarium is...

When it comes to corals in my aquarium..

• I have trouble with certain corals

Votes: 406 72.5%
  • I have trouble growing any coral at all

Votes: 47 8.4%
  • I can grow any coral no matter what

Votes: 59 10.5%
  • I haven't tried any coral yet

Votes: 40 7.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.4%

• Total voters

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason after a year all my hammers and frogspawn died and I mean totally gone. Easiest growing in my tank are palys and xenia.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
War Coral, Blastos, and Frogspawn have been ridiculously easy. Short tentacle plate and torch were the hardest for me (well it was mostly due to Really high phosphates in my tank that)

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk about the easiest and hardest coral to thrive in YOUR saltwater reef aquarium. I realize the answer to the QOTD today is going to vary for many different reasons. But I am curious to know what all of you think the answer to this question is for yourselves. I don't want to know based on what you have read or seen but what you have experienced. So let's talk about it!

What is the easiest and hardest coral to thrive in YOUR saltwater reef aquarium?

image via @tom66645
IMG_20170826_191141.jpg
For some i can not get a bubble tip anemone to grow. Ive gone through three in six months. Smh
Let's talk about the easiest and hardest coral to thrive in YOUR saltwater reef aquarium. I realize the answer to the QOTD today is going to vary for many different reasons. But I am curious to know what all of you think the answer to this question is for yourselves. I don't want to know based on what you have read or seen but what you have experienced. So let's talk about it!

What is the easiest and hardest coral to thrive in YOUR saltwater reef aquarium?

image via @tom66645
IMG_20170826_191141.jpg

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest are LPS ( I have zoas, hammers, euphyllia, torches, goniopora's, 1 duncan, 1 ricordea) all doing great.
Can't get SPS to grow or thrive to save my life. Had a digi and rainbow monti die. I'll just stick with the LPS

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my main display it’s Toadstools and Montis and zoas pretty much all LPS and softies that are huge thrivers and the nemesis is Duncan’s.
I had a nice fairly large head from a friend that I kept on the frag rack to make sure it was good, placed it on the rocks and bam BJD.
2nd is a nano and Duncan’s love it and thrive.
30 gallon grows LPS well.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is Kenya tree but my plating montis grow super well.

Corals that died in less than a month or two are leather, acropora, acans, zoas and a torch. Also I can't seem to keep clams alive and I have a lobo that isn't thriving.
Are you feeding your lobo after lights out? About an hour after lights out, it would love small bits of clam. If its not been fed, it may have given up, so just set some on it. Shrimp or other nighttime CUC may try to steal food from it. After a couple of nights in row same time, it will realize FOOD and pull food into its mouth. Once it starts eating, then feed 2-3x weekly. Our lobo is now doing great

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some i can not get a bubble tip anemone to grow. Ive gone through three in six months. Smh
Suspect 1) lighting parameters or 2) water quality. 1x weekly give them TINY bit (1/2 pinky nail) of Reef Frenzy. We can't get our RBTA to stop growing/splitting! Every 2 months another split - got up to 13 - sold & gave away to get counts reasonable.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most interactive "Back From Grave Underdog" is pink suncoral BF gifted me... dead from LFS across town... After week, molecule peeked out - CELEBRATION! After 2 months, will peek +1/4" when food bath bowl treatment (out of tank - that much food would crash any tank). Some day when big/strong enough to eat own food, here it is modeling it's future protective food cover, wedged under rock overhang.

Attachments

• Sun Coral peeking out under bottle with hole in top.JPG
    Sun Coral peeking out under bottle with hole in top.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 34

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cannot seem to keep a trachyphyllia for more than 6 months. Everything else grows like weeds...
Do you feed your trachys after hours? About an hour after lights out, 2-3x week we feed ours bits of clam or BF uses old shrimp food pellets for his convenience (wish he would stop, but trachy doubled so can't complain). Nighttime CUC figure out regular feedings, trachy knows food coming and has learned to close up fast while we are still there to keep peppermint shrimp away.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed your trachys after hours? About an hour after lights out, 2-3x week we feed ours bits of clam or BF uses old shrimp food pellets for his convenience (wish he would stop, but trachy doubled so can't complain). Nighttime CUC figure out regular feedings, trachy knows food coming and has learned to close up fast while we are still there to keep peppermint shrimp away.
I could never get mine to eat. Maybe I was doing it wrong

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora hyacinthus

October 2019 after heavy fragging

P1120903 (1).jpg

October 2020 (the coral is above the green montipora capricornis on the right):

IMG_8484.jpg

This coral had to be fragged again last October shortly after the above photo was taken to allow it to regrow.

Tofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get chalice corals to survive they last about 6 months then gone . Other LPS and so far SPS doing fine and growing well no issues and RFA no issues at all spawn at least 2 times a year .

Last edited:

EagleEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on torches. I have Frogspawn & Hammers but torches have been an adventure. With the prices these days - I'll pass.

image via @tom66645
IMG_20170826_191141.jpg
While many corals do well, I have been having a few zoas slowly wither away. Possibly lack of Nitrates/nutrients.

But the 2 most sensitive are my Jawbreakers and Torches.
I don't need an apex to know my Alk has swing. I will just notice my Torches looking horrible or my Jawbreakers missing as they seem to pop at any change.
And love my jawbreakers and torches.

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things I've bought multiple times and all have died - euphyllia, chalice, favia and goniopora. And smooth skin acros are a no go, except a garf bonsai I've named Lazarus.

Things that do well in my tank - stylophora, stylocoeniella, millepora (just OK on milli), frogspawn, hammer, trachy, acans, setosa, plate coral, toadstool, digitata, galaxea, bubble coral, toxic gonastrea, xenia (boo), gsp (double boo), blasto merletti, aussie blasto, duncans (hit or miss), lobo and last but not least red discosoma which I have to cull on a regular basis.

Zoas and palys, some thrive and explode, others melt and die - I have no idea why

Back