The easiest way to clean the sump?

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my tank and i noticed there are some gunk in my sump. That and what looks like sand from the dry rocks. What is the easiest way to clean that out? I guess siphoning it out is not an option because i will not be able to create a full siphon to the bucket. Maybe a turkey baster will do?

What is your approach, other than having to drain the whole thing?

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my tank and i noticed there are some gunk in my sump. That and what looks like sand from the dry rocks. What is the easiest way to clean that out? I guess siphoning it out is not an option because i will not be able to create a full siphon to the bucket. Maybe a turkey baster will do?

i use a wet vac 35 bucks that clips to a 5 gallon bucket also like other said maybe just put some sort of mechanical filtration on return pump and stir some stuff around

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a wet vac 35 bucks that clips to a 5 gallon bucket also like other said maybe just put some sort of mechanical filtration on return pump and stir some stuff around
Bucket head shop vac. Sold at home depot.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket head works great. Either restrict the intake hose, or pulse the on/off switch. Sucks alot of water fast.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
saw this option too but won’t get larger debris I suspect. Not bad for $80

JD_Inshore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wet vac is a good option or the vacuum attachment for a powerhead. Just run a hose to a bucket or filter sock.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drain my sump as best I can then use a wet/dry shop vac to clean stuff up. I usually do this instead of a “regular” water change and replace the sump water with new saltwater.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1- bucket buddy- the wet dry vac head that connects to 5gal- Home Depot has them I think either 20 or 30 bucks (can’t remember) it’s only for the tank. Great to clean sump. You can Re-use water if you want- just pour it thru a filter sock.
Good luck

Last edited:

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bucket head gets my vote too. every 3rd water change i drain the whole sump and fudge that,s built in.

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? How would you be doing water changes in the future?

If you were to buy the Python hose siphon, which for me.. is a life saver for water changes.. I use that to siphon out my sump when I do water changes. I also use a turkey baster to swish the gunk around so it can get hosed. BRS sells this too.

Otherwise-- as others have said, shop vac.

Eric Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back