The EBB and FLOW of reefing enjoyment! What keeps you coming back for more?

What's your most favorite thing about reefing right now?

• The coral

Votes: 236 48.9%
  • The fish

Votes: 116 24.0%
  • The equipment

Votes: 32 6.6%
  • The chemistry

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • The community

Votes: 40 8.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked fish as I really love fish. I really do also enjoy soft corals that sway in the current. Xenia that pulses is one of my all time favorites. Next tank I set up will def have some more. So mesmerizing!
Don't know how but I have Xenia frags all over my tank now. It really is a gorgeous coral.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live just 4-5 hours from the Florida Keys. We, my wife and I, both love to snorkel the shallow reef flats just off shore. I get to do some collecting and she takes lots of underwater photos. We often visit some of the same sites over and over and have been surprised by the amount of change from year to year (or after a hurricane).

So I keep a tank or two just to have a touch of the reef in our home. I've been doing this long enough that I can keep some pretty delicate animals alive that most reefers may not even be aware of.

I was ready to give up the home aquarium and sold my big tanks. But I just couldn't give it up completely. That's when I discovered the 'aio' tanks and how easy they are to keep. I had a standard 40g breeder and a diy, custom 40g cube that I built. So I got an insert for the 40g breeder and it's working OK. I'm getting a custom insert from Tenecor to put in my 40g cube. I'll run both for some period of time (until I get tired of working on one) and make a decision on which one to keep. The Tenecor aio will be similar to their standard inserts, which means it can use bigger (4" rather than 2.75") filter socks and a bigger return pump.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals

Questions arise similar to my latest ones. At what speed is a coral capable of deciding whether or not to capture food or discard? What is happening on a microscopic level when the tentacles are detecting things it is touching? I LUV corals.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough time deciding on fish or corals. I’m new to the hobby - my tank has been up since late May - at first it was the fish that drew me in. I did freshwater in high school and college - and always loved the color and vibrance of saltwater fish.

Now that I have a few corals - I love the pop of their colors and the swaying of my first Torch. Of course, just by choosing to do corals you eliminate the possibilities of some really cool fish that aren’t reef safe. So, based on all of that - I guess it’s corals for me!

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the local community, when there are get togethers. Folks here aren't bad either ;) BUT, when it really comes down to it, It is all about the CORAL. A healthy, happy looking reef can make my week. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View results: What's your most favorite thing about reefing right now?
  • The coral​

Votes: 13648.4%
  • The fish​

Votes: 6824.2%
  • The equipment​

Votes: 134.6%
  • The chemistry​

Votes: 165.7%
  • The community​

Votes: 238.2%
  • Other (please explain)​

Votes: 258.9%

• I enjoy the combatative dialogue and angry outbursts filled with brutal swearing whenever a reef topic is brought up instead of football, hot celebrity gossip, or the unpopular political positions some folks have on here. Lets face it; no one want to discuss reefing when the world is falling apart from global warming, the senseless consumption of fossil fuels, and the blatant greed of the other political classes. If we all get together we can stop it and make the world a better place. You can make the difference, put a tang in that stalled cycle tank!

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fish, of course, but my favorite thing is really the constant challenge of there being something new to learn. I’ve finally found something I’ll never be able to run out of challenges with.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'm still in is because I don't give up on "pets" that I've taken on. I'm the guy that spent $9k saving my girlfriend's recently adopted senior cat, and 5 years later spent another almost $4k for same cat just to have to put him to rest a few days later.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View results: What's your most favorite thing about reefing right now?
  • The coral​

Votes: 13648.4%
  • The fish​

Votes: 6824.2%
  • The equipment​

Votes: 134.6%
  • The chemistry​

Votes: 165.7%
  • The community​

Votes: 238.2%
  • Other (please explain)​

Votes: 258.9%

• I enjoy the combatative dialogue and angry outbursts filled with brutal swearing whenever a reef topic is brought up instead of football, hot celebrity gossip, or the unpopular political positions some folks have on here. Lets face it; no one want to discuss reefing when the world is falling apart from global warming, the senseless consumption of fossil fuels, and the blatant greed of the other political classes. If we all get together we can stop it and make the world a better place. You can make the difference, put a tang in that stalled cycle tank!
Is it global warming or is it just the world getting back to equilibrium from when the roomed the earth. Remember california had LaBrea tar pits. Personally I like the brief moments where everything seems to be in equilibrium.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dream of having one of those tanks with gorgeous corals and happy fish keeps me coming back.
Unfortunately for me coral happiness seems to constantly evade me. Fish seem good though!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dream of having one of those tanks with gorgeous corals and happy fish keeps me coming back.
Unfortunately for me coral happiness seems to constantly evade me. Fish seem good though!
Hopefully you’ll eventually get there with corals, it just takes a bit of patience :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 107 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 30.3%
Back