The effect of certain spectrums of light at night on clownfish breeding

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this paper published three months into the future (lol, s'cuse the bad joke) that investigated the effects of cool-white and warm-white lights at night: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022098121000496

I only just skim-read it as I got some stuff to do, but long story short, seems like the conclusion is there is not a significant effect on clutch size, but there was a negative effect on spawning interval, and the 'health' of the eggs and hatched larvae.

It is free-access, so anyone can read the paper. :D

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting read. There are a few issues I saw with the research (opinion) nothing more, mainly regarding the inconsistencies in age of the brood stock. Any breeder will tell you that there is a curve in terms of egg numbers, egg health, hatch rate, and embryo success directly related to the age of the broodstock. By not controlling this the results of the data may have serious flaws.
That being said I wonder if using captive bred fish would show similar results. If they could replicate the results with a controlled age cohort, there could be validation to this.

All of this is only my opinion though. I am not a scientist. :) thanks for posting the article.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting read. There are a few issues I saw with the research (opinion) nothing more, mainly regarding the inconsistencies in age of the brood stock. Any breeder will tell you that there is a curve in terms of egg numbers, egg health, hatch rate, and embryo success directly related to the age of the broodstock. By not controlling this the results of the data may have serious flaws.
That being said I wonder if using captive bred fish would show similar results. If they could replicate the results with a controlled age cohort, there could be validation to this.

All of this is only my opinion though. I am not a scientist. :) thanks for posting the article.
You are probably not wrong to be honest. Yeah would be nice to see better standardization.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back