The end of copper treatment

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am coming up on the last day of copper treatment for 2 clowns and a melanarus wrasse that are established dt fish that had developed ich (or what I believe it was, velvet, it took out my midas blenny:( ) do I need to run prazipro treatment still or should they be good to go? I've had the fish for around 3 months in total with them being in copper for the last month. they seem happy and healthy but should it be done as a precaution? Thanks for any advice you can provide

Edit: just remembered, the tank still needs to stay fallow for a couple weeks so maybe I should just do the prazipro while I wait for that?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am coming up on the last day of copper treatment for 2 clowns and a melanarus wrasse that are established dt fish that had developed ich (or what I believe it was, velvet, it took out my midas blenny:( ) do I need to run prazipro treatment still or should they be good to go? I've had the fish for around 3 months in total with them being in copper for the last month. they seem happy and healthy but should it be done as a precaution? Thanks for any advice you can provide

Edit: just remembered, the tank still needs to stay fallow for a couple weeks so maybe I should just do the prazipro while I wait for that?
If you already have the prazi pro I would consider it (I would if it were any rare/expensive/favorite fish). If I didn't have any and it was just a few common fish I would look over the fish and debate it. Since I've been keeping damsels lately QT feels almost optional. Did your wrasse have ich problems? Wierd my yellow coris' never did.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the prazi pro I would consider it (I would if it were any rare/expensive/favorite fish). If I didn't have any and it was just a few common fish I would look over the fish and debate it. Since I've been keeping damsels lately QT feels almost optional. Did your wrasse have ich problems? Wierd my yellow coris' never did.
No he actually never showed signs of parasites but the clowns did and he was a neighbor. But yea I do have some. My air stones are kind of being weak right now so thTs my only concern with doing it. Idk if they need to be cleaned or replaced..

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he actually never showed signs of parasites but the clowns did and he was a neighbor
Hmm. I think we have a disease resistant group of fish here with these wrasses. If I remember right these haliocoris group wrasses tend to survive ich consistently. I would be a bit careful with the prazi pro in this case. Since 1/3 fish is immune and will not get sick. Also the other two are clownfish that should be good to go after a copper treatment. I don't know if you need prazi pro. If you suspect flukes or worms then go ahead. If the fish look healthy, swim well, and are otherwise normal I would go ahead and observe for a few days to a week after the treatments ends before starting a new med.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would end the quarantine and move forward. Prazi will simply reduce oxygen and appetite causing possible stress

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only use the prazi if you see some indications of parasites......either on fins, or labored breathing, etc. If not, then I'd say you are good to go. As one of the others indicated, copper will create some stress....adding another treatment on top that may not be needed is risky.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only use the prazi if you see some indications of parasites......either on fins, or labored breathing, etc. If not, then I'd say you are good to go. As one of the others indicated, copper will create some stress....adding another treatment on top that may not be needed is risky.
This is part of the qt for new fish tho, yea? This was my first run qt.. or is it only if you see signs in the new fish as well? I swear I've read the qt protocol I just get confused, and I have another qt tank going with new fish going through copper right now.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is part of the qt for new fish tho, yea? This was my first run qt.. or is it only if you see signs in the new fish as well? I swear I've read the qt protocol I just get confused, and I have another qt tank going with new fish going through copper right now.
I'm not a fan of treating fish for some presumed disease.

I put newcomers into a QT tank where I simply observe.
I do not stress fish by treating for a disease they may not have.

If they are still clear after a week to 10 days I assume no disease, especially if they come from a reputable LFS.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of treating fish for some presumed disease.

I put newcomers into a QT tank where I simply observe.
I do not stress fish by treating for a disease they may not have.

If they are still clear after a week to 10 days I assume no disease, especially if they come from a reputable LFS.
Yea it's all a bit confusing because everyone seems to have their own ways that work best for them and I guess I'm still trying to figure it out through personal experiences. I've lost fish along the way already and I'm seeing that qt is generally a nice thing to do for the fish but I really believe I did not acclimate my previous fish well enough and that's what ultimately led to them not making it.

Right now my anthias are in qt and I spent 2 hours slowly raising salinity for them and taking the extra time seemed to make a good difference. Thank you for the advice. Qt sure is time consuming and right now I've had 3 separate tanks needing water changes and testing. It's a bit much

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's all a bit confusing because everyone seems to have their own ways that work best for them and I guess I'm still trying to figure it out through personal experiences. I've lost fish along the way already and I'm seeing that qt is generally a nice thing to do for the fish but I really believe I did not acclimate my previous fish well enough and that's what ultimately led to them not making it.

Right now my anthias are in qt and I spent 2 hours slowly raising salinity for them and taking the extra time seemed to make a good difference. Thank you for the advice. Qt sure is time consuming and right now I've had 3 separate tanks needing water changes and testing. It's a bit much
I think it's about risk management.

There are some very well respected folks in the community who treat every fish with copper and then with prazi.
Generally they are running big tanks with a gazillion bucks worth of fish where a single infected fish could result in a huge loss.

For most of us though, putting a fish into an observation tank for a week or two suffices.
If they get sick treat, otherwise just take a little risk and take the stress away both for you and the fish.

That's just my view, and since I started doing this, no fish losses to to disease.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If those fish were taken from the DT and never had any signs of flukes/worms before, then you are probably fine not doing the prazi treatment on them if you don't want to.

Saying that, prazi is very gentle on fish. it is gentle on everything... being a totally reef safe med. So there is very very little risk with Prazi.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about risk management - flukes infestations can be pretty subtle. I always treat preventatively.

The story I always give is this: We had a school of midas cichlids in a stream exhibit. Another public aquarium wanted some, so we gave them 100. Since these fish had been raised right there in that stream, the aquarium that got them didn't quarantine them. A couple of months later, I got an irate call - didn't I know that those fish had gill flukes? There fish were now all dying for them, but ours were still fine. Turns out the population all had sub-clinical gill flukes and when the fish were moved, the stress level went up and the disease went into an acute phase.....

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of info to consider I know.

If I understand correctly, you've had the fish for 3 months. The last month has been in QT with copper. You are keeping the display tank fallow so you have several weeks remaining before you move the fish back to DT.

Normally, we recommend new fish be placed in QT upon arrival and a 30 day copper treatment is followed by two rounds of prazipro 7-8 days apart.

Since you have time before returning to the DT, and you have prazi available, I believe following the prazi protocol at this point is low risk and will get your fish to the point where they would have been had the full QT protocol been followed initially.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of info to consider I know.

If I understand correctly, you've had the fish for 3 months. The last month has been in QT with copper. You are keeping the display tank fallow so you have several weeks remaining before you move the fish back to DT.

Normally, we recommend new fish be placed in QT upon arrival and a 30 day copper treatment is followed by two rounds of prazipro 7-8 days apart.

Since you have time before returning to the DT, and you have prazi available, I believe following the prazi protocol at this point is low risk and will get your fish to the point where they would have been had the full QT protocol been followed initially.
I am under the belief that the parasite was actually introduced while adding corals. Going forward do you see a coral dip enough to protect this from happening again? I have koral MD on hand now..

Yes I do indeed wish the fish were placed in qt at the start. I believe sites like Dr reef only do 14 days in copper, and other people have success just observing for a week or two. But the safest way is to do the min 45 day qt I'm sure. For my original 3 fish I will probably bypass the prazzi unless flukes can be present for 3 months without showing signs? But for newcomers I will most likely run prazzi after copper.

But yea today is day 30 of copper treatment and the dt needs 2 more weeks of fallow period if I'm not mistaken? Also I am using cupremine which states on the bottle treatment should be 14 days which I also find to be a mixed message..

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those fish were taken from the DT and never had any signs of flukes/worms before, then you are probably fine not doing the prazi treatment on them if you don't want to.

Saying that, prazi is very gentle on fish. it is gentle on everything... being a totally reef safe med. So there is very very little risk with Prazi.
The issue with prazzi that concerns me is how unsuitable these qt tanks are and how the med strips away o2 levels. My little air stones and crumby filter don't seem to be up to the task

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about risk management - flukes infestations can be pretty subtle. I always treat preventatively.

The story I always give is this: We had a school of midas cichlids in a stream exhibit. Another public aquarium wanted some, so we gave them 100. Since these fish had been raised right there in that stream, the aquarium that got them didn't quarantine them. A couple of months later, I got an irate call - didn't I know that those fish had gill flukes? There fish were now all dying for them, but ours were still fine. Turns out the population all had sub-clinical gill flukes and when the fish were moved, the stress level went up and the disease went into an acute phase.....

Jay
If I post a picture of the air stones in the tank could you tell me if it's enough to get the fish through a prazi treatment? I have one pump that came with 2 outputs and I have each of those outputs connected to a splitter so I have 2 airstones connected to each output or 4 airstones total 2 going to one qt and 2 to another. So the o2 output seems to be slowed by the splitters.. if that makes sense

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my quarantine protocol. Feel free to copy it as I don’t have a patent on it yet :)

45-60 min Formalin bath
30-45 day of copper power
14 days of prazipro (two rounds total)
45-60 min Formalin bath
Display tank

The shorter time period is for prophylaxis and the longer time period is for active chas

I’ve put about 15 fish through this with only one loss and he was already diseased

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my quarantine protocol. Feel free to copy it as I don’t have a patent on it yet :)

45-60 min Formalin bath
30-45 day of copper power
14 days of prazipro (two rounds total)
45-60 min Formalin bath
Display tank

The shorter time period is for prophylaxis and the longer time period is for active chas

I’ve put about 15 fish through this with only one loss and he was already diseased
I've seen formalin mentioned on forums a few times but don't know anything about it. I will look into it now ty

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back