OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my quarantine protocol. Feel free to copy it as I don’t have a patent on it yet :)

45-60 min Formalin bath
30-45 day of copper power
14 days of prazipro (two rounds total)
45-60 min Formalin bath
Display tank

The shorter time period is for prophylaxis and the longer time period is for active chas

I’ve put about 15 fish through this with only one loss and he was already diseased
Is Methylene blue a formalin treatment?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option (instead of formalin) is to do a 5 min freshwater bath in the beginning only. Or you can skip that part and just do copper and Prazi (but then you will not be covering Brook and external Uronemia.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Methylene blue a formalin treatment?
No.

I ordered 37% formaldehyde from Amazon. You add 0.6 mL (roughly 12 drops) to each gallon of water. Make sure you aerate heavily. Use protective equipment including a mask when dealing with Formaldehyde as it is a known cancer causing agent.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option (instead of formalin) is to do a 5 min freshwater bath in the beginning only. Or you can skip that part and just do copper and Prazi (but then you will not be covering Brook and external Uronemia.
In my second qt tank I have 2 anthias that I was told are susceptible to uronemia. I picked up metroplex and was going to use that alongside prazi when they get to that point. This will help with possible uronemia yes?

Sorry, I have so many questions all the time with this hobby..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I post a picture of the air stones in the tank could you tell me if it's enough to get the fish through a prazi treatment? I have one pump that came with 2 outputs and I have each of those outputs connected to a splitter so I have 2 airstones connected to each output or 4 airstones total 2 going to one qt and 2 to another. So the o2 output seems to be slowed by the splitters.. if that makes sense

It is mostly tanks without any aeration that develop issues during prazi treatments. If you have just one good air stone, all the way to the bottom of the tank, you should be fine.

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an air stone and a hob that dumps water and breaks the surface is fine for o2 for prazi treatment.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my second qt tank I have 2 anthias that I was told are susceptible to uronemia. I picked up metroplex and was going to use that alongside prazi when they get to that point. This will help with possible uronemia yes?

Sorry, I have so many questions all the time with this hobby..

I use a 1 hour formalin bath before QT for any new uronema susceptible fish like chromis and anthias.

Saying that, I don't know what is more effective, formalin vs metro for external uronema.... I believe Jay has stated that chloroquine is best for uronema, but that's something I don't have any experience with.

I QT'd a couple anthias recently and used a 1 hour formalin bath, followed by a 45 min methylene blue bath, and then into QT for copper and prazi treatments, followed by observation. I ended up QT'd them for a total of 90+ days before releasing them into my DT, where they have now been for almost 2 months. (issue free)

I'm QT'ing 3 chromis now that were put through a formalin bath and have now been in the QT tank for several weeks in copper/prazi. No signs of uronema with any in this batch.

I've also attempted to QT previous batches of chromis the same way in the past, and have lost entire batches of them to uronema, so it certainly isn't 100% method. I don't think any method is100% when it comes to uronema.

so I'm coming around to a view that the most important thing is finding fish that don't have uronema because treating it is pretty tough. You can try to treat proactively, but if you see any signs of the disease, it's probably too late to do anything about it.

I've lost two batches of chromis to uronema before. The chromis I'm QTing now, I was more selective when purchasing them and am having much better luck with them this time.

Back