The End of Reef Keeping in the US?

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen this? I received an email from Salgado Aquatics with this information. We should all take action. I love reef keeping and have done it for 40 years. This law could end it! Read the content below and take action.

#### Email From Salgado ####
We need your help! Contact your friends, family, neighbors, doctors, lawyers, teachers, milk men, (prescription) drug dealers, etc and ask them to contact their House of Representatives Representative!

A last-minute amendment has been made to the America COMPETES Act (HR4521) that would impact all pet animals except for dogs and cats, despite the originally stated purpose of HB4521 being to strengthen America's economic and national security. We need you to take action today!

What's at stake:
-The amendment to HR4521 is concerning for the pet care community, because it would:
-Create a white list of approved species that can be imported, where any animal not listed is treated as an injurious species by default and banned from importation into the United States;
-Change the Lacey Act shipment clause to ban the interstate transport of species listed as injurious; and
-Establish new emergency powers that would allow USFWS to use an "emergency designation" that is effective immediately after publication in the Federal Register unless extended up to 60 days to prohibit importation of species if found injurious to humans, ag, horticulture, forestry, wildlife or wildlife resources of U.S. for no more than 3 years.

So if you have a fish tank of any kind, this is for you! Let's use our voices to let them know how this will impact and possibly end our hobby. First, the Hawaii ban and now this?! Don't let them take away our beloved hobby!

PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM IN THE LINK!

cqrcengage.com/pijac/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=513850

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already 1 thread ^_^

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sky-is-falling-getty-1536x1028.jpg

You want me to fill out a form with a lot of my personal information via a link?

You think I'm that stupid?

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

Not quite....

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elaborate?
Its not the end of the hobby. The sky is not falling. Technically corals are not even included in the current language of the bill(fish are). However anything that is currently being legally imported "more than a minimal amount" would automatically be on the whitelist. I have some concerns with it because they dont define "minimal amount", but i also think this is a lot of panic for nothing.

The real intent of the bill is to have more control over new specimens that get imported and possibly stop dangerously invasive animals before they get here.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously controls are needed. However, any time you start with a "White List", you risk by default even what is currently collected and transported. It is a bad law. If they started with a "Black List", I would feel much better.

In addition to the so called "White List", this also give unprecedented new powers to enforcement agencies who can at their discretion with very little oversight take restricting actions. These actions could be applied to coral and other invertebrates regardless of the "White List".

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my only concern
This is one of my concerns. Also, in my opinion, it would be easy for the bill to be modified or interpreted to be applied to coral and other invertebrates.

I support the control of dangerous and invasive animals but think this bill is poorly worded and defined. I have also noticed that laws intended and legislated for one purpose are often applied for a different purpose.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If us hobbyists aren’t aggressively enforcing sustainable practices (as a group we aren’t, here we do)… then govt steps in.
My concerns are regarding the non reefing public and politicians not understanding that the collection of reef animals can be sustainable. They dont relize that the actual major risks to reefs are:
  • Human microbes from septic fields and other forms of direct human to coral exposure.
  • The rapid increase in ocean water temperature and related storms
  • Agricultural nutrient run off

The reefing community is a lightning rod for anything bad that happens to coral reefs. And this law, could be easily modified to capitalize on the preception.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sky-is-falling-getty-1536x1028.jpg

You want me to fill out a form with a lot of my personal information via a link?

You think I'm that stupid?

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

Not quite....

There are many ways you can take action. You don't have to use that link... It's pretty easy, to read the bill, write down a few points that concern you regarding the bill, and send a quick email to your state representitive.

I'm sure the link was intended for people who don't know their state representative, and that they can directly email them.. You can also get that information here by providing your zip code.

and here is a link to the bill.

Last edited:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply to canada too?
One of the things people are opposing are controls on the import of CITES controlled species we already have that in Canada. This wont effect canada at all plus if the Liberals passed a bill revision like that it would only last until the conservatives take power again...

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion illustrates why sometimes State vs federal makes more sense. I mean, I live in Ohio. There are very few opportunities for tropical corals to establish a foothold as invasive species in Ohio rivers and lakes. Florida? Sure. Maybe a concern. But, Nemo ain’t swimming up the Cuyahoga River.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a large bill that covers many things. I was just wondering if people were aware of the parts of the bill that could negatively affect this hobby and the companies that enable it.

The are many parts of this bill that I personally agree with. If anything, I hope this thread encorages people to read the bill (at least the parts that affect them), and to get involved as they see fit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back