The End of Reef Keeping in the US?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millions upon billions being made may as well say the tropical and cold water industry is ending as well will never happen too many big cats in the game and government who can’t afford the loss in revenue
what? the US makes chicken scratch off of it. We are not that big, we are a small group with a few companies that are not unified, we are easy to bully because we cannot push back as much as others.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need something to control the **** and pillage mentality that dominates this hobby, I am so sick of all the death. This is even far enough for me.
I'm so confused by this post your saying were raping and pillaging the reef? Local food fisheries do more damage than our hobby. Not even counting the climate crisis and ocean acidification.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? the US makes chicken scratch off of it. We are not that big, we are a small group with a few companies that are not unified, we are easy to bully because we cannot push back as much as others.
See you all in two years dooms day unless Russia invade oh yeah that’s meant to have already happened for the past 3 weeks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See you all in two years dooms day unless Russia invade oh yeah that’s meant to have already happened for the past 3 weeks
Im not saying the bill is guarenteed to pass (it has dead animals included, fishing is really big and will likely do something, at least about that part) but to simply pass it off as nothing isnt correct. Also Russias not gonna invade, its a political ticking contest (thats some weird censorship R2R lol)

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add your a huge country compared to the uk the revenue difference makes you more than a chicken scratch off it compared to us across the pond

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need something to control the **** and pillage mentality that dominates this hobby, I am so sick of all the death. This is even far enough for me.
I admire your passion for the reef and life. However, the vast vast majority of reef damage has nothing to do with the reef keeping community. I would argue that the reefing community and sustainable harvesting improves and protects many reefs.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying the bill is guarenteed to pass (it has dead animals included, fishing is really big and will likely do something, at least about that part) but to simply pass it off as nothing isnt correct. Also Russias not gonna invade, its a political ticking contest (thats some weird censorship R2R lol)
DE fish has a point

"American pet owners live in the company of 116 million fish, birds, small animals and reptiles. Fish tanks can be found in 7.2 million households and bird cages in 4.6 million households."

Thats alot of people and alot of mula

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add your a huge country compared to the uk the revenue difference makes you more than a scratch off it compared to us across the pond
It isnt that much revenue, $330 million is chicken scratch industry wise , the bill is not about revenue, its about PETA and others kicking and screaming for attention.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DE fish has a point

"American pet owners live in the company of 116 million fish, birds, small animals and reptiles. Fish tanks can be found in 7.2 million households and bird cages in 4.6 million households."

Thats alot of people and alot of mula
If I remember its about $200 to $330 million annually. Its a decent bit, but small in terms of industry overall here.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so confused by this post your saying were raping and pillaging the reef? Local food fisheries do more damage than our hobby. Not even counting the climate crisis and ocean acidification.
Tired of hearing the world is going to end every 10 years from climate change, then when 10 years is up the goal post is pushed another 10 years.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgive me for being so ignorant about how this stuff works, but how were these amendments proposed and or formed? just want to know who was responsible for all of this.

Thats a whole look into the US politcal system, heres a TLDR

Super oversimplified and somewhat innacurate TLDR: a few "animals rights" groups started ******** and coughing up money

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired of hearing the world is going to end every 10 years from climate change, then when 10 years is up the goal post is pushed another 10 years.
Yep dooms day everyday in every newspaper, media outlet till the nukes start dropping or god swipes me or the earth im cracking on with my life

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world isn't going to end we'll just drive ourselves and countless other species to extinction. The world will always heal just not on a timescale that humans can comprehend. It always surprises me when people try to claim that everything's fine and dandy and our reefs aren't bleaching. Sure this post will get taken down but this is not political its a scientific fact.

Attachments

• _110520516_meantemps4-nc.png
    _110520516_meantemps4-nc.png
    471.1 KB · Views: 34

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be kind... Many Canadians purchase from US companies... Also, some live imports are transported from the US to Canada. I think that maybe the concern.
Yep, I agree with what you said and I was wondering the same thing. Even if it doesn't affect imports from the US it might not be long before Canada follows (unless we already have these regulations in place).

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world isn't going to end we'll just drive ourselves and countless other species to extinction. The world will always heal just not on a timescale that humans can comprehend. It always surprises me when people try to claim that everything's fine and dandy and our reefs aren't bleaching. Sure this post will get taken down but this is not political its a scientific fact.
By banning the hobby that won’t save the world it’s just plain stupid. Mass depopulation via man made viruses or war is the only way to save the planet. Perhaps that’s why they are pushing ww3 with Russia to save the planet or is it the massive amount of money the arms dealers will receive

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's not just climate change. It's everything from pollution (air, land, water), loss of habitat, poaching, over fishing, etc. Way too many people have their head in the sand regarding the entirety of the threats. I also get more than a little ticked off that the sole focus seems to be climate change when I think we (and every other creature) are going to drown in our own garbage or die of microplastic poisoning long before we drown in the flooding oceans and lakes. Humanity needs to get the garbage problem under control in lock step with climate action.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree except for the part "well kill ourselves with climate change". It's the height of human hubris to think we can effect the entire climate of the planet to such a degree. But Killing off animal populations and reefs? Totally doable and sad to see.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ready for gold fish ban!!!! Coming soon lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back