The eternal fight against ICH *shakes fist*

Gus Henry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I have ich in my DT and yes, it's because I didn't QT (sigh) I was also going to do a build thread but instead have been busy getting this fiasco under control.

Anyhoooo...I have resigned myself to a lifetime of management vs eradication. I have a 200 G (possibly 180 G) and I went nuts with the live rock so its almost impossible to get the fish out to treat. Somehow, it's not getting out of hand (yet). I've been feeding super good with live and fresh prepared food and also have pellets on a feeder when I'm at work. I think this is really helping the fish deal at the mo. I'm also running two 36w UVs linked and Ozone in my skimmer at night which I think really also helps.

I've also been scouring the net about management and I came across this! https://aquanswers.com/saltwater-ich-treatment-in-marine-fish-best/

WHAT AN INTERESTING READ.

Especially the part about ich tomonts dissolving in an hour when in contact with brass sheets that are and alloy of 60% copper and 30% zinc. Since copper is so tough on the fish as well, this could such a game changer. Mind. Blown.

But since I'm doing management, I bought two Oxydators in case my UV/Ozone one two punch stops working. Thought you guys might also find it an interesting read.

Peace and Reef on all!

Nicky

ps: I also threw a bunch of grocery store clams and oysters on to my sand bed cuz I do think they might help filter out some theronts and cut their dang numbers down.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I have ich in my DT and yes, it's because I didn't QT (sigh) I was also going to do a build thread but instead have been busy getting this fiasco under control.

Anyhoooo...I have resigned myself to a lifetime of management vs eradication. I have a 200 G (possibly 180 G) and I went nuts with the live rock so its almost impossible to get the fish out to treat. Somehow, it's not getting out of hand (yet). I've been feeding super good with live and fresh prepared food and also have pellets on a feeder when I'm at work. I think this is really helping the fish deal at the mo. I'm also running two 36w UVs linked and Ozone in my skimmer at night which I think really also helps.

I've also been scouring the net about management and I came across this! https://aquanswers.com/saltwater-ich-treatment-in-marine-fish-best/

WHAT AN INTERESTING READ.

Especially the part about ich tomonts dissolving in an hour when in contact with brass sheets that are and alloy of 60% copper and 30% zinc. Since copper is so tough on the fish as well, this could such a game changer. Mind. Blown.

But since I'm doing management, I bought two Oxydators in case my UV/Ozone one two punch stops working. Thought you guys might also find it an interesting read.

Peace and Reef on all!

Nicky

ps: I also threw a bunch of grocery store clams and oysters on to my sand bed cuz I do think they might help filter out some theronts and cut their dang numbers down.
Any corals in there? if not, maybe do hypo to help?

OP
OP
Gus Henry

Gus Henry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any corals in there? if not, maybe do hypo to help?
Yup, a bunch of softies + shrimp. Yay me!

But honestly though, the outbreak really isn’t growing exponentially. My heinochus butterfly has the most spots but even then it’s not that many.

Most surprisingly, my powder brown has barely any and is not exhibiting any gill infestation symptoms such as head shaking or power head surfing.

The other fish, a Valentini puffer, damsel, couple of dottybacks, purple, tomini and yellow tang, pair of flame angels and my maroon clown pair has nothing.

Let’s hope it stays that way.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m personally battling velvet right now, Just take the rock out bro. Just set aside like 2 hours and do it. That’s the reason I avoided quarantining and it’s just not worth it. You’re going to get more fish one day and undoubtedly bring more than ich. The fish I added was literally the last fish to where I would be fully stocked and I got screwed. Ended up having to take all the rock out anyways smh. Just bite the bullet so U won’t ever have to do it again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back