THE FACTS ABOUT THE LACEY ACT AMENDMENTS IN THE COMPETES ACT OF 2022 (H.R.4521)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unknown.png

Another Update from PIJAC as it relates to the Lacey Act (H.R.4521)​

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2022​

REPOSTED WITH PERMISSION OF PIJAC​

There has been considerable conversation, and unfortunately also some incorrect interpretations, over the past days concerning amendments to the Lacey Act that are included in the COMPETES Act of 2022, and we want to set the record straight. The fact is that these amendments are still included in the legislation that will be considered by the Senate, they were not removed prior to H.R. 4521 passing in the House. And the more important fact is that these amendments pose a significant threat to everyone who owns, breeds, raises, transports, sells, or provides products and services to care for all animals other than cats and dogs.

Keep reading on the AquaNerd Blog...

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this from a friend of mine following what's happening with the Lacey Act:

All,

As we continue to navigate our way through the issue of the introduced legislation which would severely cripple our ability to possess and sell live animals, taking away the rights of each of the states to regulate what animals can enter and giving that to the USFWS, who would have both the ultimate authority of what can both enter the country and what can be transported from state to state, with no additional oversight from Congress or any other governing authority, we are working hard with our own lobbyists and trade organization to protect your right to have your pets. The following publication was released by the National Aquaculture Association after they lobbied on the Hill last week to protect the industry.

Get on the stick, call or make an appointment with your Senate Offices!!! They want to talk to real-live people that know this issue. No ranting. Ask for the staff person handling environmental portfolio.

Talking points that appeared to resonate:

• Section 71102 appeared in COMPETES with no prior House discussion/debate.
  • Approved list vs white list and huge number of species the FWS would have to assess.
  • Current Lacey Act is more than sufficient protection for the United States; Section 71102 is infeasible.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back