The fate of my tank…ich after fallow & QT.

What should be the fate of my reef tank?

• UV sterilizer and h202 dosing

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Remove all corals and inverts…hyposalinity to the DT

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please reread what I said. Paul actively advises against qt. Almost all others in this thread admit the risk.
I get what you saying and i once used to think same but then i learnt he saying his experiences and his opinions on why he thinks its bad and some may think that means advises to not qt but its just him saying his experiences and opinions and i seen him state many times he advises noobs to qt,but anyway i not his dad and dont need speak for him.he's a big boy and i need do a water change ^_^

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not actually true about that thread,most are saying thete for qt but that doesnt mean they actually qt,i just re-read first few pages and most saying that they for qt or indecidded,and was defo more than paul who said didnt qt,and with threads like this or one i started last week,it seems if disagree with qt then get called names or get told you advising people wrongly so maybe people who dont qt are scared actually saying anything incase get ridiculed. And sorry for spelling mistakes,phone wont do spell check or let me delete lol,new phone coming in post tommorrow hopefully

Edit: phone lets me dekete so corrected nistakes ha ha
I am not calling people names for not quarantining, free will free country. But actually advising people not to quarantine and come up with all kinds of nonsense about how ich is in every tank and how bacteria in old tanks eat ich. This kind of misinformation is giving me a headache.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you saying and i once used to think same but then i learnt he saying his experiences and his opinions on why he thinks its bad and some may think that means advises to not qt but its just him saying his experiences and opinions and i seen him state many times he advises noobs to qt,but anyway i not his dad and dont need speak for him.he's a big boy and i need do a water change ^_^
This may be true, but in this particular thread he will not argue against anybody who says dont qt, no matter how many facts they get wrong. But he will argue with me simply because I am calling out these mistruths. And his faithful followers on this thread are getting A LOT of scientific information wrong.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a stressed fish has ich in a tiny bowl of water, the parasite load is thousands of times higher than the ocean.
key word here is "stressed."
Stressed fish are of course more susceptible ich. As I mentioned before, ich is not some apocalyptic disease killing every fish in its vicinity.
Some would say fix the cause of stress and let the fish fight off ich naturally, but im not here to argue. I do what has worked for me for years and you do what has worked for you. Theres nothing wrong with that.
I've lost fish to ich before, i've also lost fish to copper (though its been 15+ years since copper qt)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang @Miami Reef , you have tried your best to battle the ich and it has shown itself to be resilient.

I stopped quarantine a long time ago. I lost so many fish in those hospital tanks it makes me sick to think about it.
I read up on another user who has lost many more fish in his quarantine. I wont give names.

My tank is only 60"x18"24". I have been through a powder blue, emperor angelfish- none of these had ever shown ich - velvet. But they had to go due to aggression and size.

I have a copperband and a scopas tang .. no signs of ich. I had a flasher wrasse whom I believe was eaten by my brittle star fish as they camped in the same hole under a rock together. Sad part is, I think the cbb killed the bristlestar with mass harassment as she has with my bristle worms.

I made a post in another thread (no idea what one) but if my cbb were to get ich I would have confessed. They all eat a lot of mixed foods. Mysis - blood worms - shrimp - mussel- squid - nori - new life spectrum pellets and reef candy. It wasn't me feeding them the coral food, they do it on their own.

almost.jpg
cbb005.jpg
I can't tell you what to do. These are roads you have to explore yourself. I hope you the best with the path you have chosen. I am sorry fallow didn't work out :(

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He actually says alot more than this what he does,like lots hiding places for fish plus lots other stuff that you do to tank before even add water and continue after tank set up,but he also states lots times he would probably do some kind of qt if was new or setting up tank,but will let him answer that himself but basically im saying he doesnt just say get a sick fish and plonk it in dt lol but he also said and i think in this thread if a cheap fish severley sick then would treat with copper,dont quote ke on this as im not paul but sure he wrote this somewhere.

Basically more than just plop and drop ^_^
One of his followers quoted Paul in this thread and said send your fish back to the store they will die because you need a very old tank according to paul. I asked paul specifically to comment about this comment and what his advice would be to the op as that is the purpose of this thread. He refused to respond. You say he advocates qt in new tanks. That may be, but I couldnt get him to say that. Boy did i try.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
key word here is "stressed."
Stressed fish are of course more susceptible ich. As I mentioned before, ich is not some apocalyptic disease killing every fish in its vicinity.
Some would say fix the cause of stress and let the fish fight off ich naturally, but im not here to argue. I do what has worked for me for years and you do what has worked for you. Theres nothing wrong with that.
I've lost fish to ich before, i've also lost fish to copper (though its been 15+ years since copper qt)
QT is not just for ich. Put a fish with velvet in your tank and you just killed them all. As long as you do not say QT does no good, this is what I want to do. I am perfectly fine with that. You do you. But refusing to admitt the risks and coming up with false truths is the problem i have. Really a lot of that in this thread. That advise will kill peoples fish if they believe it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to stop watching this thread. Seeing people say that I’m guaranteed to get ich again is making me feel scared and sick to my stomach.

I want to close my ears and pretend I never read the posts hear. Parasites are haunting me.

Anyway, my plan is to finish my copper in main display and run an 80 watt uv sterilizer in my sump very slowly to kill anything off.

Best case scenario: the ich copper treatment works (because I’m following the 45 day copper treatment with high temps and not adding any single thing to my tank unless it goes through copper).

Worst case scenario I get ich but I follow the UV and h202 protocol.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do my fallow treatment properly. I added an urchin and I added shrimps. Maybe I cross contaminated equipment somewhere too.

But I have much more experience now and I hope I can officially beat it this time.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is not just for ich. Put a fish with velvet in your tank and you just killed them all. As long as you do not say QT does no good, this is what I want to do. I am perfectly fine with that. You do you. But refusing to admitt the risks and coming up with false truths is the problem i have. Really a lot of that in this thread. That advise will kill peoples fish if they believe it.
I never said I didn't have an observation tank. Velvet shows its signs extremely fast.
That advice will not kill peoples fish. Good day Sir.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of his followers quoted Paul in this thread and said send your fish back to the store they will die because you need a very old tank according to paul. I asked paul specifically to comment about this comment and what his advice would be to the op as that is the purpose of this thread. He refused to respond. You say he advocates qt in new tanks. That may be, but I couldnt get him to say that. Boy did i try.
I would STRONGLY advise against listening to anyone who makes incredible claims without incredible evidence to back it up.

FWIW @Miami Reef I think you are going above and beyond trying to solve this issue and I encourage you not to give up. You clearly care enough to learn from your mistakes and are applying that knowledge.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to stop watching this thread. Seeing people say that I’m guaranteed to get ich again is making me feel scared and sick to my stomach.

I want to close my ears and pretend I never read the posts hear. Parasites are haunting me.

Anyway, my plan is to finish my copper in main display and run an 80 watt uv sterilizer in my sump very slowly to kill anything off.

Best case scenario: the ich copper treatment works (because I’m following the 45 day copper treatment with high temps and not adding any single thing to my tank unless it goes through copper).

If you do get rid of ich, it will not magically reappear. Unless you put in contaminated, rock, fish, snails, etc. It is just simple biology. @Jay Hemdal Please set this straight. This guy is getting a lot of false information on this.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said I didn't have an observation tank. Velvet shows its signs extremely fast.
That advice will not kill peoples fish. Good day Sir.
I believe you misunderstood me. I was not saying you were giving bad advice. I said/ ment people on this thread are. To clarify, I saw no bad advice from you.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you misunderstood me. I was not saying you were giving bad advice. I said/ ment people on this thread are. To clarify, I saw no bad advice from you.
Thank you, I may have. I don't think Paul gives bad advice, but his tank would be difficult for most to replicate in a lifetime (so it's important to keep in mind that his tank is vastly different from the majority) I recall seeing someone say to take a fish back as well, and generally agree that this is extreme. Not many people would be in the hobby if the requirement for each fish was a 20 year old system ;)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well i wish you best of luck,shame your fallow didnt work for whatever reason it was,all i can say is seems you done alot of research on various things going by your previous threads so just got to read what you can ,when you can and come up with a plan,but as youve found out,sometimes plan needs changing whether something you did wrong or " might " have done wrong or whatever the reason.
You have some lovely fish and hopefully they live long lives and you get great enjoyment from your tank ^_^

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I may have. I don't think Paul gives bad advice, but his tank would be difficult for most to replicate in a lifetime (so it's important to keep in mind that his tank is vastly different from the majority) I recall seeing someone say to take a fish back as well, and generally agree that this is extreme. Not many people would be in the hobby if the requirement for each fish was a 20 year old system ;)
Yeah if had to have 20 year old system then that be naff,sit and look at a empty tank or saying that could have inverts,corals ha ha but then possible all would have dose nitrates/ phosphates,well if anyone said need 20 year old tank or shouldnt have fish at all.i think thats wrong thing to say,especially since so many say get dry rock/ dry sand these days so dont get any bad hitch hikers or pests ,this is advise i kept watching on videos,or reading over and over and scared me into getting dry rock,but i wish i got real ocean rock or at least 50% or even 25% if im honest as now joined r2r im reading lots posts saying of get bad hitch hikers on real live rock its quite easy to remove and get rid off but thats if i can even get real ocean rock in england and enough life survived the long trip,as i know the waters around england freezing so guessing that rock no good for a carrot ha ha

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if had to have 20 year old system then that be naff,sit and look at a empty tank or saying that could have inverts,corals ha ha but then possible all would have dose nitrates/ phosphates,well if anyone said need 20 year old tank or shouldnt have fish at all.i think thats wrong thing to say,especially since so many say get dry rock/ dry sand these days so dont get any bad hitch hikers or pests ,this is advise i kept watching on videos,or reading over and over and scared me into getting dry rock,but i wish i got real ocean rock or at least 50% or even 25% if im honest as now joined r2r im reading lots posts saying of get bad hitch hikers on real live rock its quite easy to remove and get rid off but thats if i can even get real ocean rock in england and enough life survived the long trip,as i know the waters around england freezing so guessing that rock no good for a carrot ha ha
Im half English, someone really needs to get some quality live stock over there. The demand is certainly there.
Real live rock hitchhikers are a walk in the park compared to some of the nuisances of dry rock, the horror stories come from people who let them get out of control.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no clue what I was talking about. When a fish with ich in the ocean has the ich fall off and turn into 240 new parasites, there are trillions of gallons it is dispersed into. In a fish tank that 1 parasite turns into 240 which infect the fish multi times, and a few days later there are thousands of parasites in a tiny cube. This is what happens, this is why you're f***** if ich gets in your tank.

Somebody needs to teach you about immunity. Chemical treatments do not strip immunity, that is not how it works. Immunity is gained by the body being exposed to something and beating it, assuming the body has the possibility of becoming to immune to said pathogen. Immunity to ich and velvet even being possible, is not even clear. But certainly no lost immunity from medication, no chance.
I have more than a clue. I completely understood your comment before replying.

You completely missed the revelation about the "soup" fish come from and how those complex interactions support all life in the sea. This has a direct affect on fish health. Ignoring the complex relationships of the biome leads to disease and death. But you do you and all. Peace out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do get rid of ich, it will not magically reappear. Unless you put in contaminated, rock, fish, snails, etc. It is just simple biology. @Jay Hemdal Please set this straight. This guy is getting a lot of false information on this.
That’s true. I hear “ich is in every tank” all the time but that simply isn’t true. It can be eradicated, but it takes some care to avoid contamination or partial eradication.
Jay

Back