The first time my tank ever made me curse outloud

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any suggestions to easily get it outta the tank? Do I need to nuke all the rocks trying to find it? I’d prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I’ll keep an eye out and try to get him outta there.
Probably #reefsquad can help here to be sure what's it. But if is what I'm thinking about, don't take it off the hard way, 1 is to take off the LR out of the water and to flush and suck it with turkey baster the other way if you can't take it out do it in the tank. be careful not to split it, because then you have new one to search and take out.
Usually it prefer shades and come out after lights off. Look for strings around your system, like fishing lines , look like this, but not all of them are that visible, and not all of them catch food that way
BTW even on the video, I don't see eyes on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably #reefsquad can help here to be sure what's it. But if is what I'm thinking about, don't take it off the hard way, 1 is to take off the LR out of the water and to flush and suck it with turkey baster the other way if you can't take it out do it in the tank. be careful not to split it, because then you have new one to search and take out.
Only problem with this approach is there’s about 80lbs of LR in there and I don’t think there’s a realistic way for me to pull it all out and be sure I can even find it. It moved in a way that it could easily curl up in crack and I’d never find it

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with this approach is there’s about 80lbs of LR in there and I don’t think there’s a realistic way for me to pull it all out and be sure I can even find it. It moved in a way that it could easily curl up in crack and I’d never find it
Observe your tank often, at evening/night after light off, you will find it for sure :) if is what I'm talking about, isn't going to make something for 1-2 nights. Watch your Corals (they was going mainly over leather corals and my Gorgonians and Fan corals. but your isn't completely the same like my one.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info @SHNICI !

When ever in doubt suck it out!

We use the siphon method on any nasties or unwanted. Incase any parts break off it should be sucked out with the siphon as well. This will of course suck out water so have a bucket ready ;)

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observe your tank often, at evening/night after light off, you will find it for sure :) if is what I'm talking about, isn't going to make something for 1-2 nights. Watch your Corals (they was going mainly over leather corals and my Gorgonians and Fan corals. but your isn't completely the same like my one.

The only thing I’ve noticed is a gorgonian that came on my LR has really struggled and died. I don’t currently have any leathers or fan corals, just zoas and LPS/SPS. Luckily I saw it go towards a hammer and get stung by the sweeper. That’s actually what sent it back to the rock work. I have A LOT of snails and it also didn’t appear to go after any of them. I haven’t seen a bunch of dead snails so I don’t know what he’s been eating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Siphoning is always a recommended method. If you have a syringe, inject it with flatworm exit or vinegar. Should attack its nerve system

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can be very, very invasive consuming all your microfauna and leaving no food the rest of the tank, multiply easy and quickly, hard to take off and to kill (if try to take it off it will split very easy and there are new 2 of it. I wasn't able to find any of the SPs of this creature to be good enough to have it in my system.

Mixrofauna as in copepepods?

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixrofauna as in copepepods?
it's included I think, but If I'm not wrong that mean Phytoplancton, roids and many like, the copepods are part of them diet, but they are bigger for the microfauna I think.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q on this guide looks most like it

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it prefer shades and come out after lights off. Look for strings around your system, like fishing lines , look like this, but not all of them are that visible, and not all of them catch food that way
BTW even on the video, I don't see eyes on it.

Nope, no eyes but do see it slinking with its horns in the video.

Could be close to a Leopard spotted polyclad flatworm. Eats snails and clams.

M3198045xlr.jpg
M3198089xlr.jpg

Either way, it needs to go.

Last edited:

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that it needs to go, still a cool looking creature though!
I like it too. If it's in my tank, I'll take it out gently and will put it in separate container and will try to make habitat for it, isn't that small, to not to worth it, but that I'm, I like almost everything (except bristle worms) only like them, when they can be food for something else ;) not to crawl everywhere in my tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought some live rock from fl way back when - I turned the lights on and there was a 2 foot bright blue fluorescent worm... I said the same thing...

Back