The flying Dutchman - My Ocean in a box!

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump, refugium and ATO are here.

CD5D7D4D-19D2-4262-8043-FA9E26685823.jpeg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up was the control panel side of the cabinet. Inside was KILZ and painted.

I debated long on how to set this thing up. Eventually made a side for the power strip and a hinge door for the gadgets.

I have ordered a strip that will go in the middle to cover the small line that’s open.

A731BD56-7469-4B50-8A61-FEC2DEBAEF27.jpeg
BE01D2B8-444E-48BA-A1E5-B0257475A6F9.jpeg
52A01E28-DBFE-49E5-A1AE-67F26A3B5FB3.jpeg
98593315-9CC3-41D8-A58D-8E90E42D1D53.jpeg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two followers here who are waiting for their CDA tanks.

So I think I need to share.

CDA by default uses synergy reef overflow boxes. Based on the feedback I have seen on R2R - I was worried about that.

Granted there are many that have those and are happy with it. So I don’t mean to bash the manufacturer or say that no one else has issues.

But just based on what I read. I asked CDA to change mine. They were happy to do so.
I will be getting my tank with the Modular Marine overflow box. Which I have found better reviews of.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Named – The Flying Dutchman.

Absolute infatuation with The Pirates of the Caribbean and SpongeBob SquarePants – I found this only commonality. And plus it sounds cool.

A quick back ground (boring stuff) …. I started keeping fish about 6 years ago. Started with a 29 gallon petsmart fish tank with freshwater fish. Always wanted the Nemo/Dory setup – so graduated to a 90G Reef. Realized size is too small for all kids of stuff I wanted – so upgraded to a 160G tall tank that I bought local.

Had some job issues (being in Oil and Gas) and then we were moving houses so had to shut everything down and wait patiently for the day I can jump back in.

Well – today is THAT day. (Not today as in this day but more like these days, or now… okay you get the point). I hope to use this thread to not only document my tank, but to hopefully share success, challenges and solutions with the rest of you. To continue to learn and progress.

Before everything else – I would like to genuinely pay my gratitude for a few folks who have not only inspired me but helped me and guided me as well where needed. I highly doubt ANY of them know me much – but I hope they know there are many like me who have much respect for them for what they have given to this hobby and its players over the years.

Locally in Houston – We have master reefers like (Ben) @Diesel , (Dennis) @d2mini , (Andre) @PSXerholic and (close enough in Austin) @FarmerTy . Ben has not only been helpful with tips and tricks – but I have yet to find anyone else who goes out of their way – as much as he does – when it comes to REALLY helping people in need. Whether it’s about holding corals/fish for no charge for people in need, or loaning equipment without ever asking anything in return. Ben – I really hope you get back in some day – You are an asset to reefers especially in Houston.

Also some reef2reef legends like @Broadfield , Mike & Terry, and (Brad) @urbaneks for unique skillset and amazingly beautiful tanks/setups. They guys have always answered questions in great detail and helped whoever asked.

Allright – so Next up – The Tank. My very own Ocean in a box.

For my tank – I have been working with Crystal Dynamics. Zoya has been not only EXTRAORDINARY but extremely patient with me. We started talking about this tank in February 2018 – but due to some uncertainties on my part – I couldn’t place an order. She still remembered me when I reached out to her in November – and gave me a great deal on a great tank.

Tank info

Volume 270G
Dimensions - 72W x 36D x 24H - (I don’t know why manufacturers don’t sell this size as a standard yet)
1/2” Starphire glass, Black Silicone
Overlapping Perimeter double top Eurobraced panels with holes for Gyre on each side
1.25" reinforced Starboard lined bottom
Reinforced vertical seams
Black back panel with Synergy Shadow overflow

Sump/ATO/Fuge

After much back and forth with multiple manufacturers, I was able to make things happen with @Crystal Reef Aquatics. Mike at CRA has been not only helpful, but an excellent guide to what I should and shouldn’t do. Patient with helping me draw out what I had in my mind and making it possible. He went to bat for me on everything – and I couldn’t be more thankful. Thanks for your patience Mike and those million back and forth on emails. I am glad you guys are sponsors on R2R and I can only hope this build along with the infamous Tristian’s Reef will get you guys busier than you already are.

Sump – Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth 44 – 58 Gallon (44 x 20 x 16)
ATO – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 20 Gallon (10 x 24 x 20)
Refugium – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 28 Gallon (18 x 18 x 20)

Equipment List:

Went bat **** crazy during BF and collected everything needed to start.

Light - ATI powermodule with 8 ATI Bulbs
Light - Fuge - Kessil H160
Skimmer - BM Curve 9 Elite
RODI setup - 6 stage 200 gpd
Media Reactors - Aquamaxx – 3 reactors for GFO/CARBON/PELLETS
Doser package – Bubble Magnus T11 with 3 containers.
Two Return pumps – Both Reef Octopus Varios S8
Controller – APEX EL with VDM Module and Leak Test Kit
ATO – Tunze 3155
Wavemakers - 2 x Gyre 280 and 2 MP40QD

Regarding the stand – I will be building that myself. Basic structure of 2x4s and then skinning it to my liking. Not sure how that will turn out – but lets see. I have my friends here helping me out with that – and I will definitely introduce them to you guys as the time comes.

For reference, the order for the Tank was placed Nov 19th – with 10-12 weeks lead time.
The order for Sump/Fuge/Ato was placed Dec 7th – with 2-3 weeks lead time. I am hoping to hear some good news by this weekend.

I just need to be ready with the stand to start plumbing before then.

Thanks for following guys. As I build this tank out, I will obviously reach out to you all for guidance and what to not screw up so that we can get this baby wet as soon as possible.

Super excited to walk this with you all.
We are following, comrade

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Named – The Flying Dutchman.

Absolute infatuation with The Pirates of the Caribbean and SpongeBob SquarePants – I found this only commonality. And plus it sounds cool.

A quick back ground (boring stuff) …. I started keeping fish about 6 years ago. Started with a 29 gallon petsmart fish tank with freshwater fish. Always wanted the Nemo/Dory setup – so graduated to a 90G Reef. Realized size is too small for all kids of stuff I wanted – so upgraded to a 160G tall tank that I bought local.

Had some job issues (being in Oil and Gas) and then we were moving houses so had to shut everything down and wait patiently for the day I can jump back in.

Well – today is THAT day. (Not today as in this day but more like these days, or now… okay you get the point). I hope to use this thread to not only document my tank, but to hopefully share success, challenges and solutions with the rest of you. To continue to learn and progress.

Before everything else – I would like to genuinely pay my gratitude for a few folks who have not only inspired me but helped me and guided me as well where needed. I highly doubt ANY of them know me much – but I hope they know there are many like me who have much respect for them for what they have given to this hobby and its players over the years.

Locally in Houston – We have master reefers like (Ben) @Diesel , (Dennis) @d2mini , (Andre) @PSXerholic and (close enough in Austin) @FarmerTy . Ben has not only been helpful with tips and tricks – but I have yet to find anyone else who goes out of their way – as much as he does – when it comes to REALLY helping people in need. Whether it’s about holding corals/fish for no charge for people in need, or loaning equipment without ever asking anything in return. Ben – I really hope you get back in some day – You are an asset to reefers especially in Houston.

Also some reef2reef legends like @Broadfield , Mike & Terry, and (Brad) @urbaneks for unique skillset and amazingly beautiful tanks/setups. They guys have always answered questions in great detail and helped whoever asked.

Allright – so Next up – The Tank. My very own Ocean in a box.

For my tank – I have been working with Crystal Dynamics. Zoya has been not only EXTRAORDINARY but extremely patient with me. We started talking about this tank in February 2018 – but due to some uncertainties on my part – I couldn’t place an order. She still remembered me when I reached out to her in November – and gave me a great deal on a great tank.

Tank info

Volume 270G
Dimensions - 72W x 36D x 24H - (I don’t know why manufacturers don’t sell this size as a standard yet)
1/2” Starphire glass, Black Silicone
Overlapping Perimeter double top Eurobraced panels with holes for Gyre on each side
1.25" reinforced Starboard lined bottom
Reinforced vertical seams
Black back panel with Synergy Shadow overflow

Sump/ATO/Fuge

After much back and forth with multiple manufacturers, I was able to make things happen with @Crystal Reef Aquatics. Mike at CRA has been not only helpful, but an excellent guide to what I should and shouldn’t do. Patient with helping me draw out what I had in my mind and making it possible. He went to bat for me on everything – and I couldn’t be more thankful. Thanks for your patience Mike and those million back and forth on emails. I am glad you guys are sponsors on R2R and I can only hope this build along with the infamous Tristian’s Reef will get you guys busier than you already are.

Sump – Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth 44 – 58 Gallon (44 x 20 x 16)
ATO – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 20 Gallon (10 x 24 x 20)
Refugium – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 28 Gallon (18 x 18 x 20)

Equipment List:

Went bat **** crazy during BF and collected everything needed to start.

Light - ATI powermodule with 8 ATI Bulbs
Light - Fuge - Kessil H160
Skimmer - BM Curve 9 Elite
RODI setup - 6 stage 200 gpd
Media Reactors - Aquamaxx – 3 reactors for GFO/CARBON/PELLETS
Doser package – Bubble Magnus T11 with 3 containers.
Two Return pumps – Both Reef Octopus Varios S8
Controller – APEX EL with VDM Module and Leak Test Kit
ATO – Tunze 3155
Wavemakers - 2 x Gyre 280 and 2 MP40QD

Regarding the stand – I will be building that myself. Basic structure of 2x4s and then skinning it to my liking. Not sure how that will turn out – but lets see. I have my friends here helping me out with that – and I will definitely introduce them to you guys as the time comes.

For reference, the order for the Tank was placed Nov 19th – with 10-12 weeks lead time.
The order for Sump/Fuge/Ato was placed Dec 7th – with 2-3 weeks lead time. I am hoping to hear some good news by this weekend.

I just need to be ready with the stand to start plumbing before then.

Thanks for following guys. As I build this tank out, I will obviously reach out to you all for guidance and what to not screw up so that we can get this baby wet as soon as possible.

Super excited to walk this with you all.
We are following, comrade

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this system come together. Please follow up with us when everything is installed. Thanks for choosing Crystal Reef Aquatics for your new build!

Julian Friedman
Owner

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian -

You guys are amazing.
Props to Mike for being so awesome.

I don’t want to put the pics of the sump and stuff till they are in place. So I can really show how absolutely stunning these are.

I firmly believe you guys are going to be the gold standard when it comes to tanks/sumps.

Thanks again and stay tuned for more :)

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian -

You guys are amazing.
Props to Mike for being so awesome.

I don’t want to put the pics of the sump and stuff till they are in place. So I can really show how absolutely stunning these are.

I firmly believe you guys are going to be the gold standard when it comes to tanks/sumps.

Thanks again and stay tuned for more :)
Thanks for the kind words! Were you sure to inspect the items to ensure that they arrived safely?

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too changed my overflow. I went with Exotic Marine Systems. As, you mentioned I did a lil homework and found the same thing. I just placed my order last week so I still have awhile to wait.

ekoed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can see - the current status is putting up the skin of the stand.
The top will have granite - so i am not too concerned about that.

as far as paint is concerned. I would like to get a two tone antique grey/white finish on the stand. Similar to the picture below.
Any one with any tips or anything - please let me know. I would love some guidance on it.

the inside of the stand will be primed with Kilz primer, and then coated with rustomleum white appliance epoxy. From what i have read - that is best.

62021bee-6b6c-4c20-8e26-6e5f4430998e.jpg
So I did this exact paint scheme for a picture frame for my wife. A weather gray look. This is what I used to do it. (Home Depot) First apply a light coat of weathered gray with whatever you want, brush, sponge, rag, and pretty much immediately wipe it off. You might need a couple of coats depending on how dark you want the gray. the next thing I did was take a sponge brush and do very very light random brush strokes with the "chalked linen white" paint. sometimes I would wipe it do get the streaked look. I also would put a small glob of it, then take a dry brush, and wipe it away. do give it the brush stroke look. It came out really easy and was very simple. Hope that helps.

p;aint.jpg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much @ekoed - any chance you can get a few pictures of the frame please. A couple of close ups too. I would love to see how it turned out. Thanks so much for the tips.

ekoed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much @ekoed - any chance you can get a few pictures of the frame please. A couple of close ups too. I would love to see how it turned out. Thanks so much for the tips.
Here you go. I went pretty dark with the gray, but its just a balance of mixing the white on top of how light you want it.

picture frame.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back