The flying Dutchman - My Ocean in a box!

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Named – The Flying Dutchman.

Absolute infatuation with The Pirates of the Caribbean and SpongeBob SquarePants – I found this only commonality. And plus it sounds cool.

A quick back ground (boring stuff) …. I started keeping fish about 6 years ago. Started with a 29 gallon petsmart fish tank with freshwater fish. Always wanted the Nemo/Dory setup – so graduated to a 90G Reef. Realized size is too small for all kids of stuff I wanted – so upgraded to a 160G tall tank that I bought local.

Had some job issues (being in Oil and Gas) and then we were moving houses so had to shut everything down and wait patiently for the day I can jump back in.

Well – today is THAT day. (Not today as in this day but more like these days, or now… okay you get the point). I hope to use this thread to not only document my tank, but to hopefully share success, challenges and solutions with the rest of you. To continue to learn and progress.

Before everything else – I would like to genuinely pay my gratitude for a few folks who have not only inspired me but helped me and guided me as well where needed. I highly doubt ANY of them know me much – but I hope they know there are many like me who have much respect for them for what they have given to this hobby and its players over the years.

Locally in Houston – We have master reefers like (Ben) @Diesel , (Dennis) @d2mini , (Andre) @PSXerholic and (close enough in Austin) @FarmerTy . Ben has not only been helpful with tips and tricks – but I have yet to find anyone else who goes out of their way – as much as he does – when it comes to REALLY helping people in need. Whether it’s about holding corals/fish for no charge for people in need, or loaning equipment without ever asking anything in return. Ben – I really hope you get back in some day – You are an asset to reefers especially in Houston.

Also some reef2reef legends like @Broadfield , Mike & Terry, and (Brad) @urbaneks for unique skillset and amazingly beautiful tanks/setups. They guys have always answered questions in great detail and helped whoever asked.

Allright – so Next up – The Tank. My very own Ocean in a box.

For my tank – I have been working with Crystal Dynamics. Zoya has been not only EXTRAORDINARY but extremely patient with me. We started talking about this tank in February 2018 – but due to some uncertainties on my part – I couldn’t place an order. She still remembered me when I reached out to her in November – and gave me a great deal on a great tank.

Tank info

Volume 270G
Dimensions - 72W x 36D x 24H - (I don’t know why manufacturers don’t sell this size as a standard yet)
1/2” Starphire glass, Black Silicone
Overlapping Perimeter double top Eurobraced panels with holes for Gyre on each side
1.25" reinforced Starboard lined bottom
Reinforced vertical seams
Black back panel with Synergy Shadow overflow

Sump/ATO/Fuge

After much back and forth with multiple manufacturers, I was able to make things happen with @Crystal Reef Aquatics. Mike at CRA has been not only helpful, but an excellent guide to what I should and shouldn’t do. Patient with helping me draw out what I had in my mind and making it possible. He went to bat for me on everything – and I couldn’t be more thankful. Thanks for your patience Mike and those million back and forth on emails. I am glad you guys are sponsors on R2R and I can only hope this build along with the infamous Tristian’s Reef will get you guys busier than you already are.

Sump – Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth 44 – 58 Gallon (44 x 20 x 16)
ATO – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 20 Gallon (10 x 24 x 20)
Refugium – Crystal Reef Aquatics – Custom – 28 Gallon (18 x 18 x 20)

Equipment List:

Went bat crap crazy during BF and collected everything needed to start.

Light - ATI powermodule with 8 ATI Bulbs
Light - Fuge - Kessil H160
Skimmer - BM Curve 9 Elite
RODI setup - 6 stage 200 gpd
Media Reactors - Aquamaxx – 3 reactors for GFO/CARBON/PELLETS
Doser package – Bubble Magnus T11 with 3 containers.
Two Return pumps – Both Reef Octopus Varios S8
Controller – APEX EL with VDM Module and Leak Test Kit
ATO – Tunze 3155
Wavemakers - 2 x Gyre 280 and 2 MP40QD

Regarding the stand – I will be building that myself. Basic structure of 2x4s and then skinning it to my liking. Not sure how that will turn out – but lets see. I have my friends here helping me out with that – and I will definitely introduce them to you guys as the time comes.

For reference, the order for the Tank was placed Nov 19th – with 10-12 weeks lead time.
The order for Sump/Fuge/Ato was placed Dec 7th – with 2-3 weeks lead time. I am hoping to hear some good news by this weekend.

I just need to be ready with the stand to start plumbing before then.

Thanks for following guys. As I build this tank out, I will obviously reach out to you all for guidance and what to not screw up so that we can get this baby wet as soon as possible.

Super excited to walk this with you all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - yup - true that.

So the stand is already being worked on...

attached are some progress pics on the stand.

Basically - got 2x4s to build out the structure that will hold the weight.

The bottom is 2x4s all across.
The Top is using 2x8s to distribute the weight. I am using 2x8s in order to not use a brace in the center front to access the sump area properly.

The center big box is for the tank and sump.
The right box is for the refugium.
The left box is for the control panel.

The control panel and center area will have an AC infiniti fan each to keep the heat and moisture down.

The inside of the main stand and the refugium section will have a 2" lip - in order to contain any leaks. Both sections will have a connected Neptune Leak detector to let me know if i need to attend to something like that.

bee6bd5e-452b-466b-92b9-298655a14172.jpg

83b036a3-0567-4b19-9567-b9eb3e5087e3.jpg
f6114b2a-c3c0-4c1a-ba9d-054ab75a93f3.jpg
9907fc3e-2c9c-445a-9708-9383ab4ab017.jpg
0ebc742a-ad9c-42de-8b4c-67ceb01c0456.jpg

386c3c17-919f-4bb3-8ee9-c6715575ded5.jpg
bb999806-c8ff-4a31-a978-70a5ca2c9ee5.jpg
a032f398-de33-4589-a79d-c9131b6afb46.jpg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can see - the current status is putting up the skin of the stand.
The top will have granite - so i am not too concerned about that.

as far as paint is concerned. I would like to get a two tone antique grey/white finish on the stand. Similar to the picture below.
Any one with any tips or anything - please let me know. I would love some guidance on it.

the inside of the stand will be primed with Kilz primer, and then coated with rustomleum white appliance epoxy. From what i have read - that is best.

62021bee-6b6c-4c20-8e26-6e5f4430998e.jpg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand skinned enough to get it inside the house.

Fits like a glove.

Now gotta finish the skin. Sand and paint.

Anyone with ideas on the door for the main stand?

Very happy with the progress so far.

Hopefully once painted - it will look as good as I had hoped.

2EB73295-4EE8-461A-BE5B-BF6C4E6DC794.jpeg

38191E90-C2BA-4708-ADB9-9E8C46106B92.jpeg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much ... hoping to update as I go.
@xaflatoonx man oh man that is a serious sweet epic build.

Gotta follow and thanks for the pics!

Thank you James - i really hope so as well... lol
the trick is going to be to get it plumbed as once the cabinets get locked in... we cant move the structure.
Great job so far. Looking forward to seeing the tank. From what I have seen from other Crystal Dynamics builds, they make very nice tanks :)

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the cabinet that goes on the RIGHT -
It will house the refugium that will gravity feed into the sump. So in order to make it a bit higher than that sump - i added a drawer at the bottom of it.

Also - got all the plumbing parts in.

progressing along.

Next up - going to work on the LEFT that will house the controllers and cables.

antrageous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 250 gallon, 72 x 30 x 27 with steel stand n wood wrap. No build thread yet, but will start one when it gets here.
You are way ahead of me with the equipment. love your stand with the extra side compartments. great choice in your sump, please show us pics when it arrives!

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am sitting in office - and the sump got delivered at home TODAY.
i cant wait to get out of here!!!

looking forward to your build thread...

please let me know once you start.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1WildBill - thank you so much.

i am actually JUST starting the painting phase of the stand.

let me get done with the inside this weekend - and before i start the paint for the stand i will bother you -

thanks so much for your offer to advise.

Back