The future of LED.... A guess into the future

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think LED lighting will eventually evolve into a lighting board that "covers and hovers" over the ENTIRE tank water surface (like a LED TV screen) via a hanging mount kit.

Thru this tanksized light board you'll be able to MAP within a 2inx2in square different color nanometer wavelengths and different PAR values and for different depths.

For example. From left to right you can map out 10 inches to the left, and 8 inches from the back produce a 460nm wavelength to penetrate 14 inches down at a PAR of 150.

20 inches to the left, and 14 inches from the back produce a 490nm wavelength to penetrate 19 inches down at a PAR of 275

You can map everything out via a software program

Can I get 1% of all Sales for this futuristic guess?

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing idea. Basically an LCD screen with ultra high output. I mean tvs are pretty cheap nowadays, I wonder if it would be possible to create such a beast
If you can dream it, you can do it! People didn’t believe in the Wright brothers and look where we are now.

I think this concept could be accomplished much easier if the lights were arranged in a dome shape. That would mitigate the inevitable heat issues that would arise otherwise, and get better coverage. You could even mimic the arc of the sun! Imagine 10-20 Kessil-equivalents arranged around the tank, all slaved to a master controller. The software part would be easy, the only thing currently prohibitive is the cost. Don’t think many hobbyists could afford a $10k light!

I want 1% as well :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think many hobbyists could afford a $10k light!

I want 1% as well :)
The price of LEDs diodes are dropping.

I would say the light could have LED array chips.... chips that are "farmed/arrayed" together....all across the entire light board.

Yeah....we're talking hundreds of arrayed chips

I would say it would IN THE FUTURE it would be a $1,000 light under mass Chinese production

Dont think me and my $1400 in my checking account is going to put me on the Shark Tank TV Show..... you must have money to make money ;););)

Maybe Radion or Kessil or A.I. or Hydra or Orphek .....will send me a Tshirt

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of LEDs diodes are dropping. I would say the light could have LED array chips all across the entire light board.

I would say it would IN THE FUTURE it would be a $1,000 light under mass Chinese production

Dont think me and my $1400 I checking account is going to put me in Shark Tank TV Show..... you must have money to make money ;););)
10$ for you and $10 for me, thank you China!

I was just pointing out that this idea is doable RIGHT NOW if you have the money. And a double major in computer science and electrical engineering! Really great idea sir, this will absolutely be a thing.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idea is similar, but for flow. Using laser mapping, it should be possible to recreate your tank/corals/rockscape inside of a software program linked to your power heads. Honestly not sure how this isn’t already a thing. Think power mirrors on a car...let the computer aim the power heads, and precisely adjust the speed...complete game changer.

@living_tribunal how much would you pay me for this?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also waiting for a plate of glass that has some sort of wiring woven into the glass....and this glass panel will sit in the back of your tank giving you constant #s on Temp, SG, Calc, Alk, Mag, NO3 and PO4. Only needs cleaning with vinegar once a week....

20191205_023148.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ask Mindspring about that one :oops:

to surmise, if any major manufacturers read this thread...

1: 100% adjustable CPU controlled lighting

2: 100% adjustable CPU controlled flow

3: Real time parameters (preferably synced to a doser)

Get started, my wallet is open and waiting...

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think LED lighting will eventually evolve into a lighting board that "covers and hovers" over the ENTIRE tank water surface (like a LED TV screen) via a hanging mount kit.

Thru this tanksized light board you'll be able to MAP within a 2inx2in square different color nanometer wavelengths and different PAR values and for different depths.

For example. From left to right you can map out 10 inches to the left, and 8 inches from the back produce a 460nm wavelength to penetrate 14 inches down at a PAR of 150.

20 inches to the left, and 14 inches from the back produce a 490nm wavelength to penetrate 19 inches down at a PAR of 275

You pretty much just described the AcroOptics LED. Unique Corals did a top dollar build using one a little while back. Also, I think the closest we'll get is the Phillips CoralCare LEDs (gen2) as manufacturers are worried about scalability vs tailoring something for each individual footprint (the custom approach is very expensive).

Link:

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a thing... look at billboards and other light for light shows... its litterly just downsizing and reformatting to a more usable reef light style software...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though about this and the computer control it would take would be the expensive and complicated part.
Honestly I believe there can be too much control.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are talking about probably isn't that far away.
TV's will move over to micro LED's in the next 10 years and i'm sure i read somewhere that there were a couple of companys experimenting with micro LED for aquarium lighting.

Nicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Genius

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The future is LEP it’s already being used in roadway lights.
That's impressive spectrum output.

though about this and the computer control it would take would be the expensive and complicated part.
You mean like rendering power? Pushing millions of pixels is hard when things are rapidly changing frame-by-frame, but lighting a reef would be a fairly static application (requiring trivial 'processing power' I would assume?

My background is in Comp Sci, not graphics though so *shrug*?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some more research into LEP, it MAY be the future but not any time soon. Lights are almost non-existent right now and require 1000w+ to even begin meeting the conditions needed to produce the light. Not to mention a lot of heat, a lot more complexity, and the introduction of a lot of RF (used to excite the plasma and emit light). I won't even get started on cost (usually grow/stage/street lighting) but that goes without saying.

Last edited:

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering this is such a niche hobby, I doubt we will ever get any manufacturers to stand behind such a complex LCD type design. Not enough return on investment. //-I'm a Electrical Engineer in Manufacturing industry.

When cannabis becomes legal on the federal level, indoor grow kits will explode, which is primarily LED driven. This will help create new competitors that will be capable to manufacture high quality LED fixtures of different color temperature. SO, I think there will be chip on board fixtures (COB) that are able to produce a good 20K light with no controls, but be in the $100 range (2'x2x' each). If someone makes that, they will be able to accommodate small budgets and deal in mass volume. I already can buy a COB LED fixture (no control) for $150 that covers 2'x2' with nearly 1000 PAR, it's just the wrong color, 5K. If only could be 10-20k versions, it would be amazing. Most of them have adjustable balast to throttle back intensity, but no change color.

So, in short, I think there will be less features, more bulk manufacturing and lower prices, similar to MH of the past. The market is not tapping the lower level budgets with LED, and is ripe for the picking from a big supplier.

Jcbeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Controler are way cheaper to produce than many people think. A raspberry cost less than 40 dollars, is open source, and have wayyyy powerfull enough to handle hundreds of individual controled leds.
Even a simple arduino (10 dollars) can do this.
I'm designing and building lots of mine equipments including led lightings (with a 2.2 meters long tank, custom build is the real thing)
My current setup is including t5 and leds and has a goal of covering as much surface as possible with customisation.

I think that mixing leds with different lens (narrow and wide angles) on a bug surface with a good dimming control could be such a wonderfull solution!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back