OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are two different species of halichoeres a big no no or are there species that can coexist well?
Seems Salty got there before me!
But yes, we can mix Halichoeres species (I have them mixed and many other wrasse lovers who own this genus tends to mix them).
It’s generally recommended to avoid combinations that involve a large species with a small species. This is due to larger species often being MUCH more aggressive. I cant really say much on that as I’ve gone against both those theories with my wrasses. Well, in theory I’ve gone against essentially all of the guide lines with Halichoeres and Cirrhilabrus wrasses.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you. As I mentioned before I had a terrible experience with a hortulanus and a melanarus. But the LFS told me an iridis and melanarus probably would get along. Which just got me wondering on the subject? Also I guess I may move one of mine to the others tank for some reason.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tank size is everything. I got a 320 gal DT and I had Melanurus, Iridis, Vrolik all terminal male with no problem.
I believe it really does, but also the amount of caves and food seems to matter as well.
I mean, I have two transitional (Potentially one is now terminal male) males in my 4’x2’ tank along with 4 males of other genera.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it really does, but also the amount of caves and food seems to matter as well.
I mean, I have two transitional (Potentially one is now terminal male) males in my 4’x2’ tank along with 4 males of other genera.
I agree. There have to be plenty of food for all. Not having enough food in my tank is never a problem. It is the other end of the spectrum is my problem. ;(

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following, here’s some information I previously didn’t have when writing this;
Halichoeres is separated into groups. Platyglossus is somewhat more boisterous when mixing with other species but Biochoeres and Hemiulis is overall going to mix well. They’re the main 3 groups but as this shows there are many others :)

This isn’t all the species either as Halichoeres is a very complex genus of wrasse.
IMG_8653.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost both my H. iridis and H. melanarus. Thinking about getting another Iridis and either a Cosmetus or Marginatus for my 180g 6-foot DT.

Which one do you think I should go with?
I’d go cosmetus personally as it will allow for other species in the future whilst marginatus may not.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost both my H. iridis and H. melanarus. Thinking about getting another Iridis and either a Cosmetus or Marginatus for my 180g 6-foot DT.

Marginatus is super pretty. It’s my personal favorite. Mine is peaceful but results vary.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a video of both of mine!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go cosmetus personally as it will allow for other species in the future whilst marginatus may not.

Marginatus is super pretty. It’s my personal favorite. Mine is peaceful but results vary.
Haha I’m even more torn now!

I loved my melanarus and the marginatus seems like an even prettier version. But I had a really friendly melanarus so everything worked well in my tank.

How often are Marginatus jerks? Is it just toward conspecifics…or do they get cranky toward all sorts of fish?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I’m even more torn now!

I loved my melanarus and the marginatus seems like an even prettier version. But I had a really friendly melanarus so everything worked well in my tank.

How often are Marginatus jerks? Is it just toward conspecifics…or do they get cranky toward all sorts of fish?
It’s mainly conspecifics, if added later it’ll be alright :)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of both of mine!
I don’t know why we don’t talk about tiles more, I’ve even found mine has become one of my least talked about fish. Yet he’s my favourite with those puppy eyes.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why we don’t talk about tiles more, I’ve even found mine has become one of my least talked about fish. Yet he’s my favourite with those puppy eyes.
They are so crazy! Mine will splash at feeding time

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile thread! When my tank recovers I’m going to try another purple
Definitely, we need to get that thread living again!

Purpureus is next on my list if I get another tile. Don’t think I’ll try out another Flashing for a while.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article The Genus Halichoeres: The "Wrasses". Please add to the discussion here.

Hello fellow reefers, I hope you enjoy this article about the Halichoeres wrasses we know and love. Before we start, I would like to thank @SaltyT and @Crabby48 for allowing me to use some of their photos. So, lets get into it.

The genus Halichoeres is differentiated from other genera of wrasses due to their teeth. Often the teeth differentiate many of our commonly loved and owned Labrids. Specifically with the teeth of these wrasses is their canines. Halichoeres species often have pointed snouts with two rows of teeth. One row is on the upper jaw and the second is on the lower jaw, with 2 sets of canines in each row. One set is on the front whilst the second set are in the corners of their mouths.
This genus of wrasse can be found in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans. Currently there are 80 recognised species of Halichoeres and many of them are available to us hobbyists. Each species shows a variety in colouration from solid colours such as yellows to several different colours. Due to this the species of Halichoeres are often recommended as a beginner species of wrasse.
9E2DD7E4-E268-4EDD-8F31-8841F02D4E70.jpeg

7C3CE45E-837E-4D18-A339-AC2FDB94C80C.jpeg

(Left) Halichoeres iridis - Transitional-Phase Male. Photo by SaltyT. (Right) Halichoeres garnoti - Juvenile. Photo by I Cant Think.

Keeping pairs or trio's of Halichoeres are not recommended to attempt unless the tank is huge (8'+). The reason for this is due to all specimens of Halichoeres transitioning to Males in captivity. You may have heard the same occur with Cirrhilabrus as well as Paracheilinus. The reasoning for all specimens transitioning to males is unknown however if you were to try a trio or pair then chances are the two males would fight to the death.

Great information! Learned even more; and you were already gracious enough to review my wrasse stock list and teach me about the Genus!
I’ll keep you updated as I start to get them,
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article The Genus Halichoeres: The "Wrasses". Please add to the discussion here.

Hello fellow reefers, I hope you enjoy this article about the Halichoeres wrasses we know and love. Before we start, I would like to thank @SaltyT and @Crabby48 for allowing me to use some of their photos. So, lets get into it.

The genus Halichoeres is differentiated from other genera of wrasses due to their teeth. Often the teeth differentiate many of our commonly loved and owned Labrids. Specifically with the teeth of these wrasses is their canines. Halichoeres species often have pointed snouts with two rows of teeth. One row is on the upper jaw and the second is on the lower jaw, with 2 sets of canines in each row. One set is on the front whilst the second set are in the corners of their mouths.
This genus of wrasse can be found in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans. Currently there are 80 recognised species of Halichoeres and many of them are available to us hobbyists. Each species shows a variety in colouration from solid colours such as yellows to several different colours. Due to this the species of Halichoeres are often recommended as a beginner species of wrasse.
9E2DD7E4-E268-4EDD-8F31-8841F02D4E70.jpeg

7C3CE45E-837E-4D18-A339-AC2FDB94C80C.jpeg

(Left) Halichoeres iridis - Transitional-Phase Male. Photo by SaltyT. (Right) Halichoeres garnoti - Juvenile. Photo by I Cant Think.

Keeping pairs or trio's of Halichoeres are not recommended to attempt unless the tank is huge (8'+). The reason for this is due to all specimens of Halichoeres transitioning to Males in captivity. You may have heard the same occur with Cirrhilabrus as well as Paracheilinus. The reasoning for all specimens transitioning to males is unknown however if you were to try a trio or pair then chances are the two males would fight to the death.

Great information! Learned even more; and you were already gracious enough to review my wrasse stock list and teach me about the Genus!
I’ll keep you updated as I start to get them,

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back