The Good (Diatoms), The Bad (Dinoflagellates Osteo), and The Ugly (Dinoflagellates Amphidinium).

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How is the tank you used the acrylic on doing? In a nasty battle myself and came across your thread. Great videos!

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How is the tank you used the acrylic on doing? In a nasty battle myself and came across your thread. Great videos!
I have been so busy with work, but promise to post this weekend with photos for all to see. The SPS tank dinos are not in the same concentration as before the plates.

They are still in the gravel in cysts format and in much lower concentrations. The sandbed still looks so much better than before the plates were ever used.

However, all my SPS died because I just would raise and lower the phosphates/nitrates and that is just not what SPS can handle.

I am going to convert it into a LPS tank only, just like my other LPS tank that you see here, that has not suffered not one lose with the same dinos up an down phosphates go figure.

I want to put the plates on the LPS tank and show you how the DINOS will go to bed like the SPS tank that I did, many doubted the plates and I am over 30 days without any dinos coming back to the extent that they were before the plate. I am not endorsed by nobody and did this experiment just for curiousity of my observations and have prompted many others on FB threads to follow my lead with great results much bigger tanks than mine and they started the plates to get the same results as mine, when they had tried everything else under the bridge.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you are, the acrylic plates definitely make a dent against the turbulent spread of Amphinidiums on your sand bed proof is in the video.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge improvement. Thanks for uploading. Sorry about your coral :(
No worries, SPS couldn't handle me dosing up and then back down with cheato.

Going to convert to LPS system much easier as I have 3 tanks to do

Let me post video of my lps tank that did not get acrylic plates.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what is found in our reef tanks, living amongst our Dinoflagellates. Observed under both bright and dark field illumination. These videos are taken from the above 12 gallon LPS system.

Mark Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I too experimented with different ways of blocking out the light to starve out my sand dinos. The best method which eventually ended up working for me was simply using flat porous dry rock to cover them up. At first I thought the rock would kill all the dinos that it covered up but amphidinium are resilient and they will actually permeate the rock and come through right up to the very top of the rock. Essentially the dry rock became a sponge, and wherever I put it, when I would lift it up the sand underneath would be pure white. I was slowly able to eradicate them by removing the rock and washing it off every night.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back