The good, the bad, and the ugly: Is there a such a thing as a “good” sump crab?

Is there such a thing as a good sump crab?

• Yes

Votes: 82 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Both good and bad

Votes: 49 28.5%
  • Other

Votes: 11 6.4%

• Total voters

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have a gorilla crab on the loose in my display...

Tried to catch him few times with lil success. He is very small. About half a dime size.

I put a dotty back in there (only fish in my tank) in attempts to hopefully eat that Lil jerk when it molts. But we'll see.

Anyone think he'll eventually eat this lil evasive pest? I have read some Dottyback owners on this forum claim that theirs are their emerald crabs.

Fingers crossed

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught this guy after 2 years.
1678915086587.jpeg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think he'll eventually eat this lil evasive pest?

I believe given time, a Dottyback would kill it. Mine was ruthless to inverts. They wouldn't eat them but would destroy them and make a pile in the front of my tank for display, which also included starfish that lurked to close to it's cave.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any casualties to report from the time you declared war on this a#@hole?
No fish or corals to speak of. He was annoying though in that he would scrape off the coralline algae on the rocks so I'd wake up to a section of rock that was all mottled white where he removed the coralline. It would grow back but would make it look like crap in the meantime. When he did this, a couple of times he would also scrape down some acros I had. Again, they'd regrow but they'd have to restart all over again after he got through with them. He would also grab new frags and drag them to his cave and used them as doors which was also annoying. I would have them glued but he is super strong and would be able to remove them sometimes. I'd have to go and try and get them back from him with my tweezers and of course his caves were never in easy to get spots. One good thing about that though is a couple of times I dropped or knocked a frag off and it went into the rocks where I couldn't get it. A few weeks later I'd find the frag at his cave door and then I'd be able to retrieve it.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those with critters in your sump.

1. Don't you have to worry about them getting sucked up into a pump?
2. I have only mechanical equipment in my sump...no fuge. Would the detritus be enough for them to stay alive?

sandmanfd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish or corals to speak of. He was annoying though in that he would scrape off the coralline algae on the rocks so I'd wake up to a section of rock that was all mottled white where he removed the coralline. It would grow back but would make it look like crap in the meantime. When he did this, a couple of times he would also scrape down some acros I had. Again, they'd regrow but they'd have to restart all over again after he got through with them. He would also grab new frags and drag them to his cave and used them as doors which was also annoying. I would have them glued but he is super strong and would be able to remove them sometimes. I'd have to go and try and get them back from him with my tweezers and of course his caves were never in easy to get spots. One good thing about that though is a couple of times I dropped or knocked a frag off and it went into the rocks where I couldn't get it. A few weeks later I'd find the frag at his cave door and then I'd be able to retrieve it.
You gotta be kidding me lol!! Jeez..
Well I'm glad u got him!
I'm waiting until mine grows large enough for me to catch him! Tried the shot glass trap many times with failure. Tried the red light at night fishing.. failure.. but I finally realized he's too small and too fast so I'm gonna wait until it's big and then nab him one day with the red light.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with one. Took me forever to catch it, annoying and strong.
How big was yours when u finally got em?

Like I said.. mine is half a dime size. Very small!
I only seen him like a handful of times and for like 3 weeks straight I stayed up an hour past my usual sleep time to catch this son of Satan!
Failed... Never seen him at all.. ironically, when I'm not trying to catch him... He appears out of no where and by the time I grab my tongs and open up my lid... He skirts away!! Son of a...!!!...

It's my mission to grab this guy.. or who knows.. maybe the electric indigo dottybvk has already ate him.. this fish is fiesty! Always steals pellets from my serpent star lol

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was yours when u finally got em?

Like I said.. mine is half a dime size. Very small!
I only seen him like a handful of times and for like 3 weeks straight I stayed up an hour past my usual sleep time to catch this son of Satan!
Failed... Never seen him at all.. ironically, when I'm not trying to catch him... He appears out of no where and by the time I grab my tongs and open up my lid... He skirts away!! Son of a...!!!...

It's my mission to grab this guy.. or who knows.. maybe the electric indigo dottybvk has already ate him.. this fish is fiesty! Always steals pellets from my serpent star lol
About 2.25" shell and massive claws.
Tried tweezers, bottle traps, skewering him with a knitting needle. Nothing. Always got away.
Last night, saw where he was at so decided to use the shot glass trap. Only problem is a shot glass would be too small for this guy. So went with a stemless wine glass. One you see in the pic. Dropped in a piece of shrimp and 30 secs later he was going for it. Not reckless though, very crafty. Tried reaching in with his legs still grabbing onto the rock and at one point I thought he might be able to reach it, but luckily the shrimp was just out of reach. He tried maybe 4-5 times , of completely pulling out and then going back until finally he went all in and he couldn’t get out.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my Sally, 2 1/2 years and that was that, her final molt.

983A6197-D5E4-4232-9E7E-5D311DD109CB.jpeg
Sucks! I love those crabs! Used to have one way back. So interesting to watch! Always doing something and eating.
It never bothered my corals like most ppl..
Can't get one now.. I got a small fish in my tank right now trying to catch a rouge gorilla crab.

I plan to setup a pico one day and for sure I'm going to grab me one of these!

Is it me.. or does anyone agree you don't see these for sale much in lfs anymore?
Maybe it's just in l.a. county where I live lol!

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2.25" shell and massive claws.
Tried tweezers, bottle traps, skewering him with a knitting needle. Nothing. Always got away.
Last night, saw where he was at so decided to use the shot glass trap. Only problem is a shot glass would be too small for this guy. So went with a stemless wine glass. One you see in the pic. Dropped in a piece of shrimp and 30 secs later he was going for it. Not reckless though, very crafty. Tried reaching in with his legs still grabbing onto the rock and at one point I thought he might be able to reach it, but luckily the shrimp was just out of reach. He tried maybe 4-5 times , of completely pulling out and then going back until finally he went all in and he couldn’t get out.
Wow.. what a pain..
Well congrats! At least it didn't eat coral the whole time it lived with ya.
I hope I can catch mine too.
I'm just waiting until it grows.. mine is wayyy to fast
When yours was that big, were they still super fast like mine?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and more than just fast. Nimble, quick and very aware of his surroundings for such a big crab. Any slight movement, he'd go back into the rocks. Same with the trap. He didn't dive in blindingly He tried 4 or 5 times and then tiptoed in. But I waited him out. Literally to almost 2am. Like a weirdo sitting n the dark with a red flashlight. Felt great when I finally got him tho. Ahab caught his Moby Dick! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back