The Grand Finale... My 30"x30" OUT and ADA 18g IN!!!

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the 75g SPS tank was taken down on May 31, 2007. I have decided to change my love from SPS and Palys to Lords, Micros and other LPS. :) This tank will host a few of my SPS, but will be dominated by LPS. Right now I have about 30 different lords and micros. I hope to double that number by the end of the year.

Tank
Rimless 24"x24" Custom Acrylic Cube

Equipment

Lighting
Lumenarc III Reflector
250w XM 20K Bulb
Icecap 250w MH Ballast
URI Super Actinic VHOs
Icecap 660 Ballast

Flow
6055 Tunze Nano Streams (controllable)
Tunze 7095 Multi Controller
Mag 7 Return Pump

Filtration
Deltec AP701 Protein Skimmer
Deltec PF501 Calcium Reactor
Sanders 25mg Ozonizer
Phosban Reactor (contains a mixture of carbon and phosban)

Controllers
Neptune AquaController
Milwaukee ORP Controller

Misc
JBJ ATO System
250w Rena Cal Excel Heater
Coralife Luft Pump (for ozone)
Red Sea 500g Air Dryer (for ozone)

Thanks for looking. I promise to really keep track of things and update this thread. :)

Last edited:

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be no FTS 'till next week at best. His tank looks like crap right now, way too over crowded (w/the stuff he's selling on Staurday @ our local club meeting). I can't wait to see it in a week after he overhauls it in to an LPS dominated tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be no FTS 'till next week at best. His tank looks like crap right now, way too over crowded (w/the stuff he's selling on Staurday @ our local club meeting). I can't wait to see it in a week after he overhauls it in to an LPS dominated tank.

hehehe... probably looks like mine... LoLz...

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, what's the height and how thick is the acrylic on your tank? I am thinking about building my own acrylic rimless tank for my office.

Can't wait to see some updates. Sounds awesome.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is all of this already set up?

or is thist stuff the plan and you are currently working on building it?

i have a 24x24x20 cube (50g), and will be using the 6025 nanostreams. b/c its only 24" across, i'm not sure you can get away with much more flow due to the tank only being 24" wide.......not sure how a 6055 is gonna work for you, probably better worth the money to just get a couple 6025's.

Deltec AP701 Protein Skimmer??? lol dont you think that is just a tad bit of overkill??? ;)

i have decided to not go with a lumenarc reflector on my cube b/c it creates too much of a "spotlight" effect on the tank. unless i raise the reflector another foot above the canopy...but i dont want to do that.

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'll have some pics next week when I clear some of this junk out.

Al,

The tank is already setup and running. This time I went with a 2-3" sand bed instead of BB. Since I have sand I will turn down the 6055 via the multi-controller. I was going to go with a couple 6025s, but I want the flow options that I had with my 6100s. That is the reason why I am using 6055s. An AP701 isn't that big. In fact, I think the skimmer is the perfect size for it.;)
I love the lumenarc. It lights the cube perfectly. Not sure what you mean by spotlight.effect. Can u elaborate?

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow
some top notch equipment list .. deltec luminarc tenze .. are you sure you dont want ehiem for return....

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is much more safe and quiet

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'll have some pics next week when I clear some of this junk out.

Al,

The tank is already setup and running. This time I went with a 2-3" sand bed instead of BB. Since I have sand I will turn down the 6055 via the multi-controller. I was going to go with a couple 6025s, but I want the flow options that I had with my 6100s. That is the reason why I am using 6055s. An AP701 isn't that big. In fact, I think the skimmer is the perfect size for it.;)
I love the lumenarc. It lights the cube perfectly. Not sure what you mean by spotlight.effect. Can u elaborate?

i'd say you are amongs the top of the DOSS club with that skimmer. ;)

the deltec 701 is rated for 380g (normal), and 250g (heavy) stocking, and cost over $1000. JMO...but since your tank is only around 37g, i think you should sell that skimmer, and buy a smaller one like the AP600 which would work much more efficiently at pulling skimmate out, bigger is not always better. use that extra money you make off of it on some acans. ;)

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap701.php

how high do you have your reflector over the top of the tank? b/c if its not raised up high enough, (i.e. in a closed canopy) then it will give you a spot light effect.

read this thread about it, coralnutz linked 2 good before and after pics of what it looks like, really good examples IMO.
http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4847

cant wait to see your pics!!

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say you are amongs the top of the DOSS club with that skimmer. ;)

the deltec 701 is rated for 380g (normal), and 250g (heavy) stocking, and cost over $1000. JMO...but since your tank is only around 37g, i think you should sell that skimmer, and buy a smaller one like the AP600 which would work much more efficiently at pulling skimmate out, bigger is not always better. use that extra money you make off of it on some acans. ;)

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap701.php

how high do you have your reflector over the top of the tank? b/c if its not raised up high enough, (i.e. in a closed canopy) then it will give you a spot light effect.

read this thread about it, coralnutz linked 2 good before and after pics of what it looks like, really good examples IMO.
http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4847

cant wait to see your pics!!

I am going to keep my skimmer. I don't want to downgrade. I may use it on a larger skimmer in the future, not sure yet.

I have the reflector about 6-8" off the tank. I haven't noticed any spotlighting effect. I love the way it fully illuminates the tank.

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!

I got my new calcium reactor today. Deltec PF501!!!!! It is much bigger than the PF509 I have now, but I want to have it just in case i decide to get a bigger tank.

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tank pics! No FTS yet. :(

Nebulea
CHR_2684-1.jpg

Tangerines
CHR_2687.jpg

Saints and Sinners
CHR_2690.jpg

Aussie Lords
CHR_2675cropweb.jpg

CHR_2671Cropweb.jpg

Pink Lemonade Echino
CHR_2668CropWeb.jpg

Aussie Duncans
CHR_2674Cropweb.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back