The Grandaddy of all PC Rainbow Acros!

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original mother colony of which all true PC(Pro Corals) Rainbow acros descended from. Some of you may not know but at one point, years ago I sold corals under the Pro Corals name. I did it for a number of years but unfortunately had to step away due to health issues.

Concerning its origin, I received it in a sale locally from a reefer. It must have been 2005 or so. I was over at the sellers home to purchase some corals and there, amongst all of the beautifully colored corals was this drab, brown coral. I inquired about the piece and the seller gave me a bewildered look. He stated that he had had it in his setup for more than a year and it had done nothing. I relished the challenge. He gladly gave it to me, free of charge. The coral sat dormant in my setup for just under a year until I had a minor setback. Some corals began to bleach, the Rainbow acro did so completely. I thought about tossing the frag but by a stroke of dumb luck it disappeared from my system one day. I figured that my large blue tang had flung it about somewhere.

Fast forward to 2006 when I was moving my 225gl in-wall into the smaller 100gl rimless setup. I had cleared out all of the rockwork and was scooping up the rest of the sand. There, amongst the muck was the acro. To my amazement it had COLOR. Somehow, someway the coral had not only survived but added or somehow put out colors it had not previously possessed. I added the frag into my new setup and the rest is history.

Those who own it can attest to its durability and color. I have had it under MH, T5 and now LED and under all of these lights it shines bright.

I no longer sell to the general public, but do at times offer up corals to private collectors, especially those looking for corals directly from the source. Jim and I released quite a few nice pieces over the years and am extremely happy to see the companies name listed under just about every coral vendor.

The coral has been floating around the hobby and have rarely seen anyone replicate the blue base. I don’t know if that’s down to the environment or if people even have the real deal. I am growing an original piece of the coral in my latest aquarium and will post some pictures soon.

The picture below is from a number of years back.

Lugols Solution always did the trick for me, bringing out the blue hues in corals. And I’m general, the corals enjoys placement midway up the tank and heavy flow.

I know that some will ask, but at this point I do sell frags. Perhaps once my latest build has grown out and I need to trim back on some corals.

If there are any additional questions concerning the coral please let me know.

DFDAABE3-D118-43C3-81F3-08C1F19B5D7B.jpeg

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a "pc rainbow " listed as such.( small front left) hopefully it turns into something great!

Attachments

• 20220529_130458.jpg
    20220529_130458.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 251
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank god that coral came out back before all the insane prices. If it was released today it'd be 500+ for a nub.

Yeah, I don’t believe I was ever unreasonable with the pricing. We did need to make a profit but also wanted the corals to be accessible to as wide of an audience as possible.

It’s something that I still believe in and if I ever start selling corals again I plan to stick to.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don’t believe I was ever unreasonable with the pricing. We did need to make a profit but also wanted the corals to be accessible to as wide of an audience as possible.

It’s something that I still believe in and if I ever start selling corals again I plan to stick to.
I remember getting fat pieces from bay area stores Atlantis aquarium (ATL) and neptunes for pretty cheap in 2013. I want to say $30-$50 for a heady frag.
I never bought direct but they both did.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever measure your iodine level?

Hello,

I do not. I have dosed daily for 20 years now. Right now, I dose two drops per day. It’s something that I have been doing for so long now that I can’t tell you if it still does anything. I initially started Dosing to bring out the blue in my SPS and it had the desired effect. My corals look great and the solution is cheap so I’ve never seen a reason to change.

From ICP tests that I have seen, quite a number of people lack iodine in their reefs. Food for thought.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I do not. I have dosed daily for 20 years now. Right now, I dose two drops per day. It’s something that I have been doing for so long now that I can’t tell you if it still does anything. I initially started Dosing to bring out the blue in my SPS and it had the desired effect. My corals look great and the solution is cheap so I’ve never seen a reason to change.

From ICP tests that I have seen, quite a number of people lack iodine in their reefs. Food for thought.
Do they get the best color (more rainbow color) in lower light?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they get the best color (more rainbow color) in lower light?

Hello,

Not necessarily low light but generally around 250-300PAR. In reality, it will adapt to most sections of the reef but in my experience it does not like to be bathed n extreme lighting.

I have six frags of it currently positioned in different areas of my reef, hopeful that one of them will produce the elusive blue base.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful @Ellery ! I'm pretty sure that @Battlecorals got the frag directly from me years back. He's the real deal! I have been eying down some of his corals but real estate in my reef has grown tight. Perhaps just a few more.

I would like to see some more shots. Who's got them!? Make me proud! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The original mother colony of which all true PC(Pro Corals) Rainbow acros descended from. Some of you may not know but at one point, years ago I sold corals under the Pro Corals name. I did it for a number of years but unfortunately had to step away due to health issues.

Concerning its origin, I received it in a sale locally from a reefer. It must have been 2005 or so. I was over at the sellers home to purchase some corals and there, amongst all of the beautifully colored corals was this drab, brown coral. I inquired about the piece and the seller gave me a bewildered look. He stated that he had had it in his setup for more than a year and it had done nothing. I relished the challenge. He gladly gave it to me, free of charge. The coral sat dormant in my setup for just under a year until I had a minor setback. Some corals began to bleach, the Rainbow acro did so completely. I thought about tossing the frag but by a stroke of dumb luck it disappeared from my system one day. I figured that my large blue tang had flung it about somewhere.

Fast forward to 2006 when I was moving my 225gl in-wall into the smaller 100gl rimless setup. I had cleared out all of the rockwork and was scooping up the rest of the sand. There, amongst the muck was the acro. To my amazement it had COLOR. Somehow, someway the coral had not only survived but added or somehow put out colors it had not previously possessed. I added the frag into my new setup and the rest is history.

Those who own it can attest to its durability and color. I have had it under MH, T5 and now LED and under all of these lights it shines bright.

I no longer sell to the general public, but do at times offer up corals to private collectors, especially those looking for corals directly from the source. Jim and I released quite a few nice pieces over the years and am extremely happy to see the companies name listed under just about every coral vendor.

The coral has been floating around the hobby and have rarely seen anyone replicate the blue base. I don’t know if that’s down to the environment or if people even have the real deal. I am growing an original piece of the coral in my latest aquarium and will post some pictures soon.

The picture below is from a number of years back.

Lugols Solution always did the trick for me, bringing out the blue hues in corals. And I’m general, the corals enjoys placement midway up the tank and heavy flow.

I know that some will ask, but at this point I do sell frags. Perhaps once my latest build has grown out and I need to trim back on some corals.

If there are any additional questions concerning the coral please let me know.

DFDAABE3-D118-43C3-81F3-08C1F19B5D7B.jpeg
I remember it well and didn’t waste any time getting ahold of you for a frag. I think we ended up swapping a couple ice cap halide ballasts for this guy, the Superman and a couple other gems from your initial site launch.

good times man. Great to see your name on the forum again!

ps I did get the blue out of the base:) looking for my show off thread now. It’s here somewhere.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that I have some of that coral. It's amazing how different it can look depending on tank placement... and between two different tanks.

@SunnyX , hoping to see you again sometime soon. My PC Superman is turning into a nice sized colony now! :0)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back