The Guide of Capturing All Your Sick, Troublesome, and Nuisance Aquarium Inhabitants

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my time as a part of this forum and reefing community as a whole, which is surely not as lengthy as the rest of our resident reefers (not by a long shot), I have fought and struggled threw numerous trials and battles. Personally being struck by ich repeatedly losing thousands of dollars of fish, I would be left discouraged, exhausted, and downright hurt. I will not whine no longer as I understand fully that these struggles were a result of my own lack of knowledge, experience, and my ignorance (except that time our maintenance guy put a un- quarantined powder blue into my fully stocked 210g)

But my hope is that I can pass on the knowledge of my attempts at catching fish. Each time I saw that telltale sign of ich it would break my heart and will. The first time all the fish died. The second time I removed all the rock and got most of the fish out only to die in qt. The third, as I explored all options desperately bring ing me to the level of anger of a Sith Lord I cupramine bombed the tank. (It came out with Cupri-Sorb). But I have learnt of a safe and simple option of inhabitant extraction that I felt was my duty to share with my fellow reefers.

Thus I will go threw the options:

1. Standard Plastic Fish and Invert Traps:
787D58F6-873D-453D-975B-705194A8C226.jpeg

A popular option and a standard no-brainer this may work for the few but most will soon discover that not only are these usually cheap and unreliable (which can be avoided by spending excessive money on a expensive one) but also require the patience and time that the aquarist and fish may not have. This may be the path though for the patient aquarist and a fish that has time.

2. Nets and Tank Tear
A8247AE2-C94B-4E6B-AD75-B7551D3D723C.jpeg

Another extremely popular option that usually results in a stressed owner and fish with neither in a different location than they started. This path is heard of to be successful for extremely devoted netters that go after the fish at night. Though even this way of going about it is nearly guaranteed to be a failure especially with smaller fish and is not even a option in rock/coral packed tanks. This option usually leads to complete aquascape tear downs as I had done.

Now make no mistake, in a tank that is void of coral, and the swift removal of a troublesome fish is of upmost need. A tank tear down should not be pushed aside as a option. Though in my experience there are better options though they may take additional time.

3. DIY Traps:

this route is very similar to option 1 regarding the fact it can be both very rewarding or very flimsy and unreliable. In my experience the fish see the trap as a mouth or are too cautious to go in. Additionally the food would come out of the trap before the fish would go in.

My Pick:
Now make no mistake this can technically be classified as a DIY but I separated it for the basic facts that A. I Bought it, didn’t make it. B. It didn’t require any modifications. C. This method is so much more effective than other “DIY”s, and removes the hassle of crating one.

The Vase Method:
A simple vase just like this one:
168D2E7D-2E50-411F-B540-229CD8C8F294.jpeg

How this works: After feeding without flow in this they get accustomed to it. The straight shape allows them to think of it not as a mouth but just a a open tunnel and the food stays within due to the shape. This enables you to place food on the bottom or within and have fish understand that they can’t get it anywhere else. They swim in and when put your hand on top and lift it out of your tank they instinctively swim down and to the side. The glass both gives them both security and a good look at the food.

Just yesterday I needed to separate 2 newly added Firefish. I put the vase in turned off flow. Put some music on the bottom came back 10 minutes later and inside was my Firefish so I pulled it out without the hassle of nets, traps, or rocks.

Additionally this method can be used to catch shrimp but not all inverts. So why spend $30-50 on a trap if a simple $5-15 vase will save you time, money, effort, and your pets lives. Who knows, chances are you already have one.

The True Best Method:
In the end of the day the most effective and thorough method is to prevent anything before it has happened. QT properly, and remember nothing good happens in the hobby fast (at least that you meant to happen).
Patience is key!

Please Read:
Understand that all I say here is opinionated. I mean no harm, belittlement, or criticisms of any company, business, person, nor their products. I mean only to share what I have learnt in my personal experience and to help those who are going or may go threw the challenges that I similarly had to endure.

Healthy and Happy Reefing!
Avi

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very good success with used clear containers that cookies come in. There are all sorts of clear food containers that are free and other wise trash that will work like you describe. Filling them with hot water while cleaning them and most labels peal off easily.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I am still confused on how it works. Do you have the vase sit upright? If so, won’t the food sink and then they are left swimming into glass at the bottom of the vase?

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I am still confused on how it works. Do you have the vase sit upright? If so, won’t the food sink and then they are left swimming into glass at the bottom of the vase?
I will clarify updating now.

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my editing time ran out but here is how it works.. you place the vase upright and and place food within. Usually mysis and frozen stay in the middle and don’t sink but others may. The fish aren’t as dumb as we perceive and they actually get upset and realize they must swim threw the top

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just yesterday I needed to separate 2 newly added Firefish. I put the vase in turned off flow. Put some music on the bottom came back 10 minutes later and inside was my Firefish so I pulled it out without the hassle of nets, traps, or rocks.

Clearly this is what I have been missing. The music must calm the fish as they get captured ;)

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly this is what I have been missing. The music must calm the fish as they get captured ;)
Love missed that during the proof reading it’s meant to say mysis

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they prefer heavy metal XD

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back