The Hall High Coral Project Official Thread. Coral Propagation System in West Hartford

OP
OP
Waz

Waz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that drawing I posted before but it doesn't show all the twists and turns well.

Reefer Robbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this cabinet form my 130 gallon. Hartford is kind of far to travel but would be willing to if all supplies were there and ready for me to build I can bring my chop
20190405_203244.jpg
20190405_203231.jpg
20190401_065215.jpg
20190401_065215.jpg
saw and hand tools

OP
OP
Waz

Waz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time I finally give an update. The system is LIVE and RUNNING. I have been working nonstop on this 450 gallon system.
I'll start by giving the good stuff.
- My corals are pretty happy with the move. We have 4 tanks running now, 3 of the tanks are lighted for now. We have a tank for SPS corals, LPS corals, and Softies.
- My Apex Neptune System is coming together and looking good
- The kids are blown away by the system when they walk by during school. Today was day three at Hall High School and the hallways are jammed near the corals
- Lots of support from admin and other teachers
- The room is working out well for space. Kids have tables to work on and each tank has a bar for putting stuff.
- The way I set it up has been safe for the kids. The room is locked up when I'm not around but people can still see the system easily. I like this a lot. This is never an easy thing to achieve in a high school setting.
- Temperature has been tricky with the weather and the school shutting off the AC on weekends. Don from Wet Pets saved my butt by giving an old Chiller he had to hold the system over weekends.

I have had some challenges along the way.
- Water does not flow through the system fast enough. Tank 1's water level gets too high when the COR-20 approaches over 60%. I had to lower my overflow box in Tank 4 to accommodate and prevent overflow in the system. I will likely create 1-2 returns on Tank 3 and 4 to keep the water levels more stable then raise the overflow box back up in Tank 4.
- I ran out of money and have no lights for Tank 4 right now so there's no corals in there. I want Radions on the whole system for consistency and total wavelength control. Hopefully we make some good sales at Fragtoberfest. We shall have water bottles and shirts and food and corals!
- Haven't got the ATO system set up yet. I throw like 3-4 gallons in there each day. The neptune ATO is tricky to get perfect. I also need to set up my FMM and leak detection probes. I have need like a nice ATO bin. I'm brainstorming now.
- Mangroves are getting a lot of light, need to lower sunlight in the greenhouse room
- MY EB832 cannot handle the load I gave it. 6 Radions, COR-20, 3 WAVs, DOS, one heater,... whoops guess that's too much. I had to move some lights off the EB832 and just plug into another outlet. So much for full power reading.
- I got hit by some palytoxins from scraping zoa's off of a rock. I breathed the stuff in and got really sick. It was brutal! I survived though. Lesson learned. Bleaching those buggers for now on ;)

We would love donations from anybody with full reefs. Feel free to contact me and visit the new system.
Thanks!
- Waz
Here's some pictures.
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG

-

reeferee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Great looking system and so happy to see kids having an opportunity to learn about the science and the hobby at school!

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent you a PM I have a ton of questions. I am reefing in my high school classroom as well, but no where near your level. I want to get into propagation and aquaculture as well with my kiddos. Funding is very limiting in my school and my wife is pesky and keeps looking at the Bank account... LOL would sure love to talk a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back