The history of Tony's Cookie Monster

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
username checks out, lol

I used to be in the same boat, still sorta do get frustrated when either the same coral has 3 different names or 3 different names for the same coral.
WWCs cookie monster is sarmentosa, where as this is A. hoekesemai, gonzo's cookie monster is thought to be A. donei.

oh I know wwc Cookie Monster is nothing but a trash sarmentosa that’s worth like maybe $20 a frag but then sell it for 3 times that.

just pointing out inconsistencies in coral naming and this is a prime example for newbies.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I know wwc Cookie Monster is nothing but a trash sarmentosa that’s worth like maybe $20 a frag but then sell it for 3 times that.

just pointing out inconsistencies in coral naming and this is a prime example for newbies.
Well, lets face it, "cookie monster" is kind of a cool name for a coral, I understand that ppl don't care much about Latin names anymore, its all about that "berry sunset blaster" or "intergalactic watermelon bomb" these days.
I get it, but it is confusing sometimes, also naming a common meh/nothing special color variant of a common coral like a green sarmentosa with brown polyps causes me to throw some side eye.

It is what it is I guess.

Im still trying to learn all the designer names of color variants, it doesn't help when one color morph of a certain species has 5 names based on the seller/grower.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even realize this was a hoek. I see it does look like one now that I think about it. Also I believe copps azure is a totally different coral. How is a thick branching stag from what I have seen.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lets face it, "cookie monster" is kind of a cool name for a coral, I understand that ppl don't care much about Latin names anymore, its all about that "berry sunset blaster" or "intergalactic watermelon bomb" these days.
I get it, but it is confusing sometimes, also naming a common meh/nothing special color variant of a common coral like a green sarmentosa with brown polyps causes me to throw some side eye.

It is what it is I guess.

Im still trying to learn all the designer names of color variants, it doesn't help when one color morph of a certain species has 5 names based on the seller/grower.

I'll never understand how people don't care about the Latin name but care about the meaningless one.

There's such a bounty of information on a particular piece of coral if you can find the Latin name. If you know the name you know the growth pattern, light requirements, etc... And if they all had their Latin names attached you'd be able to find more pieces like it, just different colors perhaps.

These names just make it difficult to know anything.

I'm not mad, ive accepted it actually, but I don't see why we can't have both. Stupid(cool) name-latin name

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not mad, ive accepted it actually, but I don't see why we can't have both. Stupid(cool) name-latin name
Because then no one could sell the same coral under 15 different names, and at 15 different prices.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting a few questions about this one lately, and since history disappears fast in this hobby, I thought it might be a good idea to record all this for posterity before I lose the pictures :).
27710170_10116142521374654_4764022751942096066_o.jpg

I found this coral in early 2012 at a small, now-defunct shop in NYC called Coral Theory that I visited with a friend after a frag swap. This was right around the time the first Aussie corals were coming in. I spotted it in one of their holding tanks; a single, foot-long, INSANELY blue (although bleached from being recently imported) single branch about finger-thick. I had always wanted a solid sky-blue stag like I had seen in the amazing photos of Italian reef aquariums, and I convinced them to sell me a decently-sized frag for $80, which was a lot at the time.
IMAG0476.JPG

Tony's Cookie Monster, day 1

I grew it out for a couple years, never really having a name for it, calling it my blue stick for lack of anything better, and thinking it was just a really nice Australian hoeksemai. It only got more blue over time, and eventually surpassed even the Oregon Tort in vibrance.
hoek.PNG

A shot from 2013 under XM 10k halide, no actinics.

20130802_135642.JPG

Late 2013, growing out

Around the same time, and unbeknownst to me, John Coppolino acquired another colony of the same species and called it the Aussie Azure, although his and mine are different shades of blue ( it's obvious when they're side-by-side). By this time, it had become clear that this was something different from the cultured hoeksemais that were in the hobby; it grew twice as thick and twice as slow. When my 80 gallon cube crashed about 4.5 years ago thanks to some horrible neighbors, I gave the colony to Sanjay Joshi, which is when we took this pic under mostly white LED light and nearly broke his facebook feed for a day or two lol.
12710703_10110167571911274_7551875203836859335_o.jpg

This is when we came up with the name Cookie Monster. I also gave a few frags to RandyO at AReefCreation, who grows it to this day. He added my name to it when he put the first frags for sale here on R2R in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nice-acro-pack.159842/#post-1856568 and it's been Tony's Cookie Monster ever since. To this day, I have never seen an acro with such a pure hippo-tang blue. Even these photos don't do it any justice.
@Katrina71 I think I found Andrew's next blue coral.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even realize this was a hoek. I see it does look like one now that I think about it. Also I believe copps azure is a totally different coral. How is a thick branching stag from what I have seen.
Nah, I've grown them side-by-side. They are both super thick hoeksemai-like stags. They differ only in being slightly different shades of blue. Sanjay has grown it next to Copps' turquoise hoeksemai, too. The turquoise one grows half as thick and twice as fast.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That’s crazy. I gave my piece to a friend when i broke down my system two years ago and I think it’s about time to see if I can get a piece back! I have a blue hoek which is probably from Johns tank too. That one is defiantly thin. I do prefer the thicker branches personally. Can’t wait for the next update.

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have updated pics of their Tony’s Cookie Monster? ARC just had one for sale during their Live Sae.
Got mine from ARC last year. Grows slow like Tony says. I keep it right under a puck, lots of flow, lots of feeding. Bad cell pic under actinic, but you know it really is that blue.
PSX_20230123_185130.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got mine from ARC last year. Grows slow like Tony says. I keep it right under a puck, lots of flow, lots of feeding. Bad cell pic under actinic, but you know it really is that blue.
PSX_20230123_185130.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful piece! I picked up that frag at the sale and it’s near the top of my tank and doing well so far

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back