The History of Tunze

R2R Articles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Note from the Editor:

Reef aquarists new to the hobby may not know that Tunze is actually an old company and one that has played a major role in the evolution of the saltwater aquarium hobby. Lots of companies say that they are innovators here and innovators there, but in the case of Tunze, it's true.

We thought the story was interesting enough to make an article out of it. Later on, below, Roger Vitko, the US distributor for Tunze, will tell you in his own words about how the company got started.

But before we get there, let's take a brief look at aquariums throughout ancient history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ancient History

As far back as 6500 BCE, there is evidence that there were many different cultures all around the Mediterranean in what was later called southern Mesopotamia that kept fish in outdoor rock-lined "tanks" or ponds. This evidence is in what's now called Egypt, Syria, and all the countries bordering on the Mediterranean, even though written history doesn't start until about 3500 BCE.

These tanks were either fed from water diverted from freshwater rivers or close enough to the sea to receive saltwater during high tide. But the fish were not believed to be ornamental, but kept temporarily as food sources.

There is also evidence that ancient Hawaiians also had outdoor freshwater and marine tanks or ponds, although how far back this practice dates is unclear.

The Chinese are generally credited with the first real outdoor aquaculture, both freshwater and saltwater, with documentation starting around 1122 BCE.

Ancient Romans (roughly 800 BCE to roughly 100 CE) are also believed to have kept fish, but there's no clear evidence the fish were for ornamental purposes.

The first ornamental fish that historians are sure of are goldfish that were bred by the Chinese starting around 960 CE. These were freshwater fish bred down from larger carp.

The Aztecs also had outdoor marine ponds around 1300 CE.

More Modern History

For the sake of brevity, I'll just mention a few things in the more recent past. Félix Dujardin, a French biologist started experimenting with keeping a saltwater aquarium in 1838, and Anne Thynne, a British biologist, kept some stony corals alive for three years around 1846 and published her findings in 1859. And an English chemist, Robert Warington, kept a small aquarium and theorized that adding plants to oxygenate the water would create a balanced sustainable system. His results were published in 1850.

Public aquaria also began in the late 1800's, and the Honolulu Aquarium existed long before Hawaii even became a state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Tunze headquarters in Germany.
firma2019(2).jpg

Photo is courtesy of Tunze, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Roger Vitko opened an LFS in Austin, Texas in 1998. He liked great products and started stocking, selling, and servicing Tunze equipment. Axel Tunze came to Texas not long after, and Roger established a relationship with him. In 2001, Roger became the US distributor for Tunze.

Today, almost 20 years later, Roger maintains a close relationship with the Tunze family. "Axel Tunze is very influential in my life; he is a very kind man, who has looked out for me personally as well as in business and gives great advice and is a great listener."

Now, let's hear from Roger Vitko on the history of Tunze in the 1900's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Left to right, Axel and Felix Tunze.
AT+FT.jpg

We are an old company. Tunze formed as a company around the invention of the first powerhead by Norbert Tunze in 1959.

At the end of World War II, Norbert was knowledgeable on repairs and worked with American soldiers to repair their radios. I don’t have the full details but I believe as part of the Marshall Plan after World War II, they gave him some money to start a radio repair shop. He kind of fixed anything.

Tunze factory photo.
DSC04640 (3) (1).jpg

One day a customer brought in an Eheim pump for model railroad waterfalls--Eheim was a toy company in the earliest days and made a pump to run a waterfall on a train set.

In general, the aquarium hobby started with toy companies; Mattel owned Metaframe for example and fish were called toy fish and sold at toy shops with the equipment back in the 50’s so this was kind of a natural extension.

Anyway, Norbert tested this Eheim pump on his aquarium and until this time there was no such thing as an aquarium water pump--air pumps were what was used, and all water pumps in existence sucked water in the bottom and pumped it out the top, so not really useful for an aquarium.

Tunze factory photo.
DSC04527 (3) (1).jpg

Norbert noticed how much more lively his aquarium was and at first wrote Eheim to see if they would be interested in making their pumps for aquariums. They replied that they were a toy company and it did not interest them.

Norbert set out to make a pump on his own and patented the design to take water in at the bottom and push it forward. He started making these small air cooled pumps in his garage and in 1960 founded Tunze Aquarientechnik GmbH and trademarked the name Turbelle for the new powerhead. The name came from Turbine and Libelle which is German for dragonfly and so named because of the noise the fan made on the air cooled motors of the day.

Over time Norbert developed more products. In 1963, Tunze developed the first venturi-driven protein skimmer. The protein skimmer was inspired by a home hobbyist who noticed the foam collecting at the under gravel filter uplifts and attached an inclined ramp to collect it and then brought it to the Max Planck Institute for research and confirmed it was indeed protein and cellulose waste.

Tunze factory photo.
DSC04520 (4) (1).jpg

Norbert Tunze and Erwin Sanders both began working on commercializing this idea simultaneously, Sanders went with air stones, and Tunze pursued motor-driven venturi.

In 1968, Norbert Tunze invented the aquarium conductivity meter. As time went on the company grew and in the 70’s began exporting, making filters, ever larger pumps and better skimmers. In 1981 Tunze introduced the centrifugal venturi skimmer which was the state of the art at the time.

In 1985 the Osmolator, the very first ATO was introduced. In 1988, we introduced our first powerhead which was water cooled and submersible. In 1989, Norbert Tunze invented the first calcium reactor using CO2.

In October of 1990 Axel Tunze, Norbert's son, joined the company and in 1994 he took over daily operation. Under Axel Tunze the first DC powerhead was introduced as well as the Comline in-tank system of skimmers, filters and calcium reactors. The original Power Magnet algae cleaning magnets were also introduced.

In 2002 the first commercially produced propeller pump, the Turbelle Stream was introduced in AC and DC versions. In 2004 the Wavebox, the first device to utilize resonance frequency to produce a standing wave in an aquarium.

Norbert Tunze passed away on March 10, 2003, at 74 years old. Today the company is run by Axel Tunze, and his son, Felix Tunze, heads up new product design.

This is an excellent video of Claude Hug, an engineer at Tunze, talking (in French) about powerhead placement.

This is a good video on the ancient history of aquariums by an anthropologist.

References

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rv/feature/index.htm

"On the increase of Madrepores". Annals and Magazine of Natural History. London: Taylor and Francis. 3 (29): 449–461. 1859.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/664c/a6d9ad188ed765a578536ec30b27428b8d50.pdf

Doar, Kevin. (2007). Case Studies in Aquarium History: Trends Discovered in Studying the History of Three Regional Aquariums. (Master's Thesis). Florida State University.

https://dailyhistory.org/How_Did_Public_Aquariums_Develop?

https://aquaticexperience.org/2014/...eeping-for-hobbyists-exploring-ancient-roots/

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-rome/ancient-rome

Brunner, B: The Ocean at Home, page 36

https://austinaquarium.com/history-of-aquariums/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishkeeping

https://www.algone.com/history-of-the-aquarium-fish-keeping

https://www.ratemyfishtank.com/blog/history-of-fish-keeping-as-a-hobby

https://publicdomainreview.org/2018/06/21/bringing-the-ocean-home/

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reef2Reef offers special thanks today to Roger Vitko for his immense help in putting this piece together and Tunze headquarters for allowing us to use several photos from the factory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Cynthia White

Cynthia received her BA in English from NYU a long long time ago. She has been a freelance writer and editor for over 20 years. In 2018, she won the President's Award from the Professional Writers Association of Canada. Now she is a writer and editor on staff at R2R, where her forum nickname is @Seawitch.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone actually know how "Tunze" is pronounced? I have heard "Tunes" and "Tun-Zee".

Nope, but I'll throw ton-zee into the ring.

Thanks to @Seawitch for a great and interesting article! You've brought some great content to the forum in these past several months!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has been an amazingly innovative company. When I started in the reef hobby in the mid-1980s, they were about the only game in town. Wish I’d had the foresight to keep a better photographic record of my tanks and associated equipment, though this was my first skimmer.

C63BF41B-9E02-403D-862E-BCE7627BC89C.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze sound almost exactly as most english folk pronounce 2000 pounds plural = "Tons"

But since there is a "u" in the word, it ryhmes with Fun(s)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that one is old

True, but like most Tunze gear, lasts a good long while (I think I got almost 20 years out of it). I have equipment that I favor over Tunze, but nothing lasts as long. My oldest piece of equipment .... we’ll just part of it .... is the plastic box from an old Danner Super King HOB power filter. Mid ‘70s I’d imagine.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article on a great company.

I think it would be awesome to see more articles on the sponsors here at R2R. Maybe some on manufactures like Avast, GEO, LRS and or some of the coral retailers especially the ones that do their own farming. I think it's interesting to see where my money goes.

Maybe one on what it takes to run a site like R@R?

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article on a great company.

I think it would be awesome to see more articles on the sponsors here at R2R. Maybe some on manufactures like Avast, GEO, LRS and or some of the coral retailers especially the ones that do their own farming. I think it's interesting to see where my money goes.

Maybe one on what it takes to run a site like R@R?

That's a great idea, and I'm doing just exactly that. Private message me with any and all suggestions for sponsors to profile. What it takes to run R2R? Blood, sweat, and tears. I'll ask the powers-that-be if I could write that! Good idea.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the pleasure of meeting Norbert Tunze many years ago. Norbert, John Burleson (who was the US Tunze distributor at the time) and Julian Sprung (who worked for John at the time) had just attended a pet supply gathering in Boston. They were invited to stop and visit us at a meeting of the Windows to the Sea Aquarium Society in NJ on their way back to John's business site (in Maryland?). I would best describe Norbert as a perfect gentleman - very willing to put up with our hobbyist inanity. I wish I could thank him for everything he's given our hobby. The meet was also my first meet with Julian Sprung, who later accepted my invite to speak at MACNA 3.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Tunze aquarium products. It's hard to beat German engineering and quality. My water flow and skimming is all Tunze and the tank is dead silent and that's not an exaggeration. Many aquarium manufacturers make that claim, few live up to it, Tunze does. If Tunze made a SPS capable light, I'd probably use those too. I've dealt with Roger V. many times over the years while running an LFS and also as a retail customer. His customer service is consistently excellent.
Anyway, pretty neat history lesson. Interesting to see all the innovations that Tunze has done over the last decades. Thanks for the article R2R.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this was informative and awesome.I truly enjoyed reading about all the historic elements.I just wish that there was a visual time line to go with it.Thank you @Seawitch , Reef2Reef and our long time sponser TUNZE USA!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back