The Holy Grail of Reef Supplements

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m searching for the correct combination of supplements to add to my newish reef. I’ve had a fowlr Tank going for about a year now And have began adding coral very slowly, everything is living happily and growing but I know that Better results are achievable with supplementing I already have B ionic two part calcium buffer on the way in the mail. What else should I consider adding?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do not feel there is a holy grail or even close. Over the decades I have seen the trends, the claims. Water changes is the practical solution for me but I have small tanks so I can see where those with larger tanks water changes could be expensive and time consuming. In my observations of others tanks the two common components I have noted are Calcium Reactors and the use of macro algae.
Some of the most popular were bio-pellets, marine snow, Kalk (which definitely has a place when used correctly), amino acids (here comes the cyano or worse dino), Fuels......(probably just more amino acids and trace elements), Strontium, Lugols.....Beware the marketing when water changes accomplish the same goal but it's more work intensive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-ionic by ESV is a good choice of two part (although pricey).

What else you might add would depend on what is in the tank.

Do you grow macroalgae?

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahoe61 and Randy are right. It all depends of your objective and what’s needed to get there.
Why don’t you give mor background about your tank,objective and water parameters?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m staring at two tanks with too many corals. I use two part, water changes and fish food. And Light.

All of the other supplementation schemes are are just variations of this. IMO.

Back