The Holy Grail of Reef Supplements

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by AlexChef, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AlexChef

AlexChef Member

I’m searching for the correct combination of supplements to add to my newish reef. I’ve had a fowlr Tank going for about a year now And have began adding coral very slowly, everything is living happily and growing but I know that Better results are achievable with supplementing I already have B ionic two part calcium buffer on the way in the mail. What else should I consider adding?

2. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Moderator Emeritus Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Personally I do not feel there is a holy grail or even close. Over the decades I have seen the trends, the claims. Water changes is the practical solution for me but I have small tanks so I can see where those with larger tanks water changes could be expensive and time consuming. In my observations of others tanks the two common components I have noted are Calcium Reactors and the use of macro algae.
    Some of the most popular were bio-pellets, marine snow, Kalk (which definitely has a place when used correctly), amino acids (here comes the cyano or worse dino), Fuels......(probably just more amino acids and trace elements), Strontium, Lugols.....Beware the marketing when water changes accomplish the same goal but it's more work intensive.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

B-ionic by ESV is a good choice of two part (although pricey).

What else you might add would depend on what is in the tank.

Do you grow macroalgae?

4. Alfrareef

Alfrareef Well-Known Member

Tahoe61 and Randy are right. It all depends of your objective and what’s needed to get there.
    Why don’t you give mor background about your tank,objective and water parameters?

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I’m staring at two tanks with too many corals. I use two part, water changes and fish food. And Light.

All of the other supplementation schemes are are just variations of this. IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted