Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, again makes me sick thinking about it lol. Dosing Kalk takes a bit of nerve - don't really need it for the Cal/Alk but to stabilize ph swings at night. And if you don't want to watch your chalice grow a millimeter a year or the scoly slowly waste away you have to feed - I do a couple of times a week. So far I've managed the excess nutrients mainly with water changes the day after feeding but recently added a IM reactor for carbon and phosban (reactor is not at all precise enough for a slow GFO tumble). Ill do a write up about that shortly.
yup alk would be my biggest concern. For nutrients rowaphos has never let me down its really thin small particle and instructions say u can just place it in the felt bag it comes with. But I have mine in brs reactor, very slow tumble in a 65, and super chalice safe, unlike gfo that I have had bad reaction too

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup alk would be my biggest concern. For nutrients rowaphos has never let me down its really thin small particle and instructions say u can just place it in the felt bag it comes with. But I have mine in brs reactor, very slow tumble in a 65, and super chalice safe, unlike gfo that I have had bad reaction too
Yup, a BSR reactor would be great (have a brand new one in my truck just sitting waiting on another tank) but I have no place to mount it and it would be overkill on that little 20. I need something in the middle between the IM and the BRS. The lack of fine control makes the IM reactor useless for media that needs to be tumbled. You can set it perfectly, come back the next day and its either blowing all over the place or or not moving at all.

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I see you barely have room for the light switch.
If you have this brs reactor then you could hang it with hooks above the tank it just wouldn't be hidden.
20180131_230938.jpg
Don't look at the dirtyness and rusty hooks thou lol. I need to fix that haha

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this a bit today and I have to agree with respect to GFO vrs Rowaphos. I've used Rowaphos off and on over the years (when it was handy at the LFS vrs being out of GFO) and have never had a problem with it. GFO however has caused some problems over the years when I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to the amount I was using. The high capacity stuff can strip PO4 out pretty darn quick and that just isn't good for LPS. I think a lot of people who run into the issue where all of their chalice fade and get striation necrosis are actually experiencing super low nutrients. I know that the condition is often attributed to Mag levels but Ive seen it for myself in my own tank after changing GFO. This chalice that I had grown from a nublet over the course of three years to around 5" across got wacked like that as did a Miami Hurricane.
20160722_121927.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this a bit today and I have to agree with respect to GFO vrs Rowaphos. I've used Rowaphos off and on over the years (when it was handy at the LFS vrs being out of GFO) and have never had a problem with it. GFO however has caused some problems over the years when I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to the amount I was using. The high capacity stuff can strip PO4 out pretty darn quick and that just isn't good for LPS. I think a lot of people who run into the issue where all of their chalice fade and get striation necrosis are actually experiencing super low nutrients. I know that the condition is often attributed to Mag levels but Ive seen it for myself in my own tank after changing GFO. This chalice that I had grown from a nublet over the course of three years to around 5" across got wacked like that as did a Miami Hurricane.
20160722_121927.jpg
That chalice is sweet.
Man rowaphos is the bomb. For a sensitive high end coral tank, there is no better way to go.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly dont know why its not everyones go to. Especially since people run into so many issues with regular gfo.
So I've been running Rowaphos in that crappy little reactor for the last three weeks. I have to say I couldn't be more pleased and would stop calling that reactor crappy if a clamp hadn't broke of it tonight. I think the Rowaphos is actually doing a better job than straight up GFO at lest in this tank. I test PO4 at least three times a week as I feed so much and things can go south very quickly in 20 gallons. Plus there is no need to fool with carbon or Purigen. I feed 3x a week and its a slurry of Selcon, rehydrated brine shrimp eggs and ReefFrenzy. Turns the tank into a milky mess (that those chalice love with all their little slow growing hearts). Rowaphos seems to be keeping things completely in line.

Feeding last night
feeding.jpg

Below is a shot from 10 minutes ago. Everything is fat and happy.

latenight.jpg

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been running Rowaphos in that crappy little reactor for the last three weeks. I have to say I couldn't be more pleased and would stop calling that reactor crappy if a clamp hadn't broke of it tonight. I think the Rowaphos is actually doing a better job than straight up GFO at lest in this tank. I test PO4 at least three times a week as I feed so much and things can go south very quickly in 20 gallons. Plus there is no need to fool with carbon or Purigen. I feed 3x a week and its a slurry of Selcon, rehydrated brine shrimp eggs and ReefFrenzy. Turns the tank into a milky mess (that those chalice love with all their little slow growing hearts). Rowaphos seems to be keeping things completely in line.

Feeding last night
feeding.jpg

Below is a shot from 10 minutes ago. Everything is fat and happy.

latenight.jpg
Nice, good to hear. Thats like the ultimate rainbow scoly.
Wow you feed alot, do u see really good results?

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed heavy once a week for my reef, and I've noticed that rowaphos wears out a little faster than GFO. But I think it's because it's so straight forward and good at what it does.
GFO would last me a month and a half before diatoms and po4 would rise and show.
Rowaphos last me about a month before diatoms and p04 show.
Which is a little more expensive but well worth it. So be aware with your heavy feeding your rowaphos might wear out sooon

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, good to hear. Thats like the ultimate rainbow scoly.
Wow you feed alot, do u see really good results?
Yes I do - with everything in the tank. Chalice, trachy, scoly and those little acan frags. Best results seem to come from HUFAs that are soaked up by dry particulate - Reef Frenzy / Dehydrated brine shrimp eggs and I feed the scoly mysid once a week. I also hit the tank with KZ flatworm exit (no idea if its actually working) and RedSea ReefEnergy - part d of the colors program as well to keep the dark blue in my chalice from turning blueish green. May be a bit too much light for some of them at 100 par.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed heavy once a week for my reef, and I've noticed that rowaphos wears out a little faster than GFO. But I think it's because it's so straight forward and good at what it does.
GFO would last me a month and a half before diatoms and po4 would rise and show.
Rowaphos last me about a month before diatoms and p04 show.
Which is a little more expensive but well worth it. So be aware with your heavy feeding your rowaphos might wear out sooon
Ya, I'm changing it every 8-10 days. Not because I'm noticing and dramatic rise in P04 but when it hit .04 its time to change it. It takes so little time and rowaphos why not? About 4 table spoons fills that crappy little reactor. If there was a skimmer that could pull gunk like my vertex or reef octopus then I might feel better about going a month. As it is I pulled the skimmer off the tank. Made no difference at all. Its very hard for me not to drill the back of that tank and add a sump but I really don't want to drill a tank full of corals.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoe did u get flat worms? What kind are they?
I don't have any. I read an article that suggested the stuff was beneficial to most corals and that trachy in particular benefited from the stuff. After loosing the trachy below last year I thought why not try it and see if it works. It APPEARS to but of course it may be doing nothing.
20170113_200325.jpg

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any. I read an article that suggested the stuff was beneficial to most corals and that trachy in particular benefited from the stuff. After loosing the trachy below last year I thought why not try it and see if it works. It APPEARS to but of course it may be doing nothing.
20170113_200325.jpg
O thats cool I've never heard of that before

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few years I've had some serious issues with PH swings - this little 20 is no exception. I live in Florida where stucco is often used on home exteriors as is the case with mine. Stucco left unpainted is porous so to finish the exterior a plasticized paint is used to seal the stucco. 14 years later we felt it was time to freshen up the exterior and repainted. The result? The house is so tight at this point that in the evenings we often see C02 levels around 1800 or so. This is more than enough to drag a tanks PH down into the mid 7s. Aside from the sleeping poorly and feeling tired half the time it also effects corals ability to calcify. Not cool. In other tanks I've had cracking a window, running the intake from my skimmer air outside and running a C02 scrubber worked out well but with this little 20 I don't have room for a large enough skimmer to actually move enough air through a C02 scrubber to make a difference. The DOC skimmer is a great little bubble maker but not enough volume. Yesterday I was at a local fish store and saw a little used skimmer pump (Sicce Syncra SK 200 Needlewheel Pump) in a junk box and was able to score it for 5 bucks. When I got home I checked to see if it would fit on of the rear compartments and it did. I cleaned it up, plumbed it to a BRS C02 scrubber and cranked it up. Little thing was drawing plenty of air and boiling the water in the chamber with bubbles. It took me about an hour to figure out how to squash the micro bubbles all over the tank (a couple of blocks of sponge) and then I waited. I hooked the pump up at 4 pm and from the chart below you can see the results.

ph.jpg

Needless to say I'm plenty excited by this.

sicce_sk200.jpg

And the pump is dead silent!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back