OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about all the live foods produced from a large refugium?

I think live food should be available growing in any tank but I also believe that will have to be drastically supplemented as most fish will eat all available food very quickly.

Williamthegr88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started feeding my fish black worms this past week after I have read a few times on here from your post about the benefits got to say they love them not sure if it's making a difference in immunity but I do like to add to the variety of food they receive thanks for the info

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. But you need to keep feeding them, not just once in a while.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, I don't know anything about them.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanda, I think any type of worm would be fine because it is most important the bacteria in the worm that will keep up the immunity of the fish. I use blackworms and whiteworms and when I am in a collecting mood, earthworms. Blackworms are hard to come by now due to the drought in California. I am surprised people elsewhere don't grow them, it's not lie you have to send them to college or anything but you need a fresh water source.
Before you order worms on line you either need a large refrigerator or a worm keeper like I built. But for a lot of worms it would have to be cycled very well with some dead fish or something that rots, and that may stink. It takes a while to cycle a worm tank but once it's cycled, you can keep worms forever. If I get time I am going to build a much larger worm keeper so I can get them in bulk.
Let me know when you are passing the Statue of Liberty. :D
Can red wigglers like you get from the bait store be fed and even garden worms? We compost a lot, so it would certainly have live bacteria in them!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about red wigglers but I have used earthworms many times to feed eels, lionfish, triggerfish, puffers and porcupine fish. I have also fed them to anemones.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about red wigglers but I have used earthworms many times to feed eels, lionfish, triggerfish, puffers and porcupine fish. I have also fed them to anemones.
I was always afraid to try them in my saltwater. I had freshwater for years and fed crickets all the time to my Archer. He would eat from my hand. That was the coolest fish I've ever had!

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B This may be a stupid question... can bacteria survive and still be beneficial in frozen foods that contain probiotics &/or blackworms like the LRS foods that have been mentioned? Would this be an acceptable alternative to 100% live all the time feedings?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely bacteria remains viable and beneficial even after freezing. We know bacteria survived the ice age and heat is much more detrimental to bacteria than the cold, hence the reason we boil water to render it safe.

We first began experimenting with active bacteria cultures in our foods in early 2013. We simply brought to ornamental fish food what had worked in aquaculture for the farming of fish, shrimp and mollusks for human consumption. In the beginning many people speculated probiotics were a gimmick. Nearly 6 years later with almost a dozen captive breeding breakthroughs occurring while using our foods (http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html) probiotics are popping up on other frozen fish food labels. Over the last five years we have done extensive testing on our foods to make sure that the goal of 1M CFU, or Colony Forming Units per gram is met within the typical lifespan of a pack of food. We have had lab tests published on our website as well as other info here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/probiotics.html

This is a test certificate from one of the first samples of LRS and was used as a starting point to dial back the amount of probiotics needed.

Probiotics.jpg

[/user]

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this whole thread to get this answer!
(Apart from the pleasure of reading Paul B's ascerbic wit)
Do you sell in Canada as well?
Apart from that, can you freeze fresh clams and oysters and slice pieces off to feed?
Absolutely bacteria remains viable and beneficial even after freezing. We know bacteria survived the ice age and heat is much more detrimental to bacteria than the cold, hence the reason we boil water to render it safe.

We first began experimenting with active bacteria cultures in our foods in early 2013. We simply brought to ornamental fish food what had worked in aquaculture for the farming of fish, shrimp and mollusks for human consumption. In the beginning many people speculated probiotics were a gimmick. Nearly 6 years later with almost a dozen captive breeding breakthroughs occurring while using our foods (http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html) probiotics are popping up on other frozen fish food labels. Over the last five years we have done extensive testing on our foods to make sure that the goal of 1M CFU, or Colony Forming Units per gram is met within the typical lifespan of a pack of food. We have had lab tests published on our website as well as other info here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/probiotics.html

This is a test certificate from one of the first samples of LRS and was used as a starting point to dial back the amount of probiotics needed.

Probiotics.jpg

[/user]

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sell in Canada as well?
Apart from that, can you freeze fresh clams and oysters and slice pieces off to feed?

We do have several retailers in Canada but it is always best to call the LFS before heading down. Our distributor orders frequently and clears our food through customs, but like anything some stores sell out faster than others. You can enter your zip code here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

Fresh clams and oysters work great for finicky feeders, and I've seen great results with them after being frozen as well. There is a good amount of clam and oyster in our foods too.

Good luck and thanks for reading to learn more about nutrition and foods!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use Larrys food every day along with my own clams and blackworms. If I could not get clams and worms, I would just use Larry's food. I am very old school and supplement my fish with other foods even though I know Larry has beneficial bacteria in his foods. But besides Larry's excellent foods I like to keep my fish immune from bacterial diseases "and" parasites. I am not sure if freezing will kill parasites, but I assume it will. Most people do not want live parasites in their food so Larry's would be the first choice.
Very few people can keep their tank immune from parasites but if you would like to do that, you may need to supplement any frozen food with something live at least occasionally to keep up the fishes immunity from those pathogens.
I would not expect Larry to add live parasites to his foods and I am sure no one else wants that either as that would immediately kill his business but most people do not run a tank like I do.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can bacteria survive and still be beneficial in frozen foods that contain probiotics &/or blackworms like the LRS foods that have been mentioned?

Absolutely bacteria remains viable and beneficial even after freezing.

Just to add some clarification. All bacteria do not remain viable when frozen. There are a lot of factors that go into how many bacteria will survive a freezing. I don't want people thinking they can cut up live food, freeze it, and expect 100% of the bacteria to still be viable. Odds are only 10% to 40% will survive. Multiple thaws and freezing will continue to kill off bacteria.

This is why the lab testing that LRS does is so important. It is the only way to know how their exact freezing process will impact bacteria populations.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul for the kind words and we always appreciate your seasoned support. There are white papers written that demonstrate a freeze does in fact kill off parasites I'm not 100% sure about ALL parasites but here was one discussed a few months ago online specifically about Cryptocaryon irritans.

@Brew12 Thanks for clarifying that about the time and deterioration. I was still on my first cup of coffee! I made a brief mention of it in my post but you are correct that over time bacterial counts diminish. In our experience since we don't sit on inventory here for very long and it flies out of the stores so fast it remains plenty viable by the time the hobbyist receives and uses it.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to acclimate live clams to a sump and then " harvest them as needed?" Most of the clams and oysters in my neighbourhood comes from the pacific off the BC coast. The other option would be to have a small cold water tank similar to the food store . I also think that most these would stay alive for a day or two in the fridge.
The other option would be to just invite the fish over for a regular clam vongole every week.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to acclimate live clams to a sump and then " harvest them as needed?" Most of the clams and oysters in my neighbourhood comes from the pacific off the BC coast. The other option would be to have a small cold water tank similar to the food store . I also think that most these would stay alive for a day or two in the fridge.
The other option would be to just invite the fish over for a regular clam vongole every week.
Maybe @saltyfilmfolks ? Not sure he feeds them to his fish though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @saltyfilmfolks ? Not sure he feeds them to his fish though.
You are correct , they are temperate , not tropical so you'd need cold water to keep them alive.
As bizzare as it sounds , a bucket of salt water and a piece of live rock in your fridge would probably work long term . You'd need flow though like a small pump.
Most of the ones at the store would probably be too damaged to survive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back