The importance of nitrite measurements in a reef aquarium

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok if you’re not convinced, I wouldn’t want to interact with you on updated cycling threads considering our chats, post history where you‘re just repeating it here etc.

you and I hold opposing beliefs. That was clarified to you in chat, I found your challenge in chat just disagreeing for disagreements sake, not reflective of collecting works one way or another in the matter. If I asked you for links to show your pattens observed, specific to nitrite, I’d get none.

whatever you think about cycling thats fine by me.

if you will this time post something you studied that shows a contribution to the topic Ill change my perspective.

my claim has been clear: nitrite testing harms the hobby. Reef cycles do not stall

my threads are collections of examples where reaction to perceived nitrite readings cause hesitation, reaction purchases and wasted money and the aquarists were deeply set back in the hobby by not being shown Randy’s article on nitrite before reading about its importance in threads like this one

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not want to measure nitrite - fine for me but when you reply to newcomers that report sky rocket nitrite concentration that their cycle is done - it is only miss readings - and they can go on stocking their aquariums - that´s not fine for me. To measure nitrite will not do any harm but to ignore a stuck nitrification add stress on the system - that´s the difference between our two standpoints.

Sincerely Lasse

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok if you’re not convinced, I wouldn’t want to interact with you on updated cycling threads considering our chats, post history where you‘re just repeating it here etc.

you and I hold opposing beliefs. That was clarified to you in chat, I found your challenge in chat just disagreeing for disagreements sake, not reflective of collecting works one way or another in the matter. If I asked you for links to show your pattens observed, specific to nitrite, I’d get none.

my collected works with plural friends, we, willing to use new methods won’t matter to you as doing live time work isnt what you value as input and its what I’d request of you to validate your perspective on cycling were that to be disclosed.

if you will this time post something you studied that shows a contribution to the topic Ill change my perspective.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this one time RG will you post something you yourself have observed and logged regarding nitrite chemistry

Post what have you personally seen to be the impact or non impact of nitrite testing in reefing / simple request

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse I understand your point, it’s clearly stated thank you.

we will be able to send messages to those who participate by ignoring nitrite and see how things turn out, this is why I value creating logs and patterns of live reef tanks in my assessment threads.

when you see bad outcomes or disease outbreaks in our threads that will need to called out and linked here for account.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my collected works with plural friends, we, willing to use new methods won’t matter to you as doing live time work isnt what you value as input and its what I’d request of you to validate your perspective on cycling were that to be disclosed.

my claim has been clear: nitrite testing harms the hobby. Reef cycles do not stall

my threads are collections of examples where reaction to perceived nitrite readings cause hesitation, reaction purchases and wasted money and were deeply set back in the hobby by not being shown Randy’s article on nitrite before reading about its importance in threads like this one
Just trying to understand. If you are suggesting that there is no value of checking nitrite or nitrate after the ammonia reduction phase of the cycle is complete, we will continue to disagree. I'll gladly stay out of cycling threads where you are engaged.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not measure nitrite as a rutin - you can´t say if it was nitrite that cause the problem or not when things go south - it is like the story I heard as a youngster.

Why do you spread out this white stuff on the streets of Gothenburg said the policeman to a guy. Oh - it is a remedy against lions - said the guy. But there is no lions up here in Sweden said the policemen.
Yea - you can by yourself see how effective this treatment is............ was the answer

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Here is an example in a live reef. Messing with sulfur reactor. Turbos slowing, urchins slowing but not dead. Crabs alive but 80+ trochus dead. Tested found nitrite .5mg. Not enough to kill a fish. Fixed the issue, got more trochus snail. Their still alive for a few months now. If you don't test and fix issues, it can have a greater impact. Now imagine if did not test and fix. Missed a few snails, was at work for long time, or on vacation. Then one can start to run into other test issues also. Think domino/butterfly effect. I agree new cycling, old cycling is a thing that works. To ignore some things, or define it by a certain start date can be dangerous though.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf you’re acting like my cycling threads are full of unhappy outcomes and unhappy reefers. You know they aren’t, it’s been five straight years of running in ones you’ve posted in and nobody lost their initial bioload. Years of folks you can send verifications to and report back here what they said.

Garf since you are the only one with anything linked posted Ill give that a view. Before I begin: is that entire assessment about to be led by seneye, or no-TAN color kit assessments? will her results be drastically different from thousands of logged fish in cycles because a non digital test for ammonia or nitrite said so? Let’s see.

brb

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Result

how in the world does that even apply here Garf her fish lived vs died

you guys have to really reach far into the horizon for cycling bad outcomes right…

ill ask Garf in return: are you aware of what seneye shows on fish in cycling with Dr Tims? Tell me what you’ve seen when digital cycle assessment occurs, post the link you saw the data and then I’ll post a link where seneye users do fish in cycling with Dr Tims, we can compare example validity.

that video made no point I could see here

I did scan through a little / 11mins of non seneye data/ post the minute marker you noted if I missed a key point

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Result

how in the world does that even apply here Garf her fish lived vs died

you guys have to really reach far into the horizon for cycling bad outcomes right…

ill ask Garf in return: are you aware of what seneye shows on fish in cycling with Dr Tims? Tell me what you’ve seen when digital cycle assessment occurs, post the link you saw the data and then I’ll post a link where seneye users do fish in cycling with Dr Tims, we can compare example validity.
You always ask for evidence that your timelines are not always correct, that not all cycles are always equal, that testing is relevant, I provide a link courtesy of Tidal Gardens and you get aggravated.
I’m used to your attempt of bullying via technology with other folks on here, it won’t work with me as you should be aware by now.
I wouldn’t trust any seneye that is user calibrated without the appropriate calibration standards. Ph in a fully aerated seawater tank is about 8.2, what would happen to the readings if folks just calibrated that meter to 8.2, hey presto, no low pH problems ever again.
If anyone knew for certain if nitrite had detrimental effects in saltwater I don’t think there would be a conversation around it. Please do not assume you are correct.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not discuss if fish is alive or not at high nitrite concentrations in SW. We are discussing if the nitrification cycle is completed or not. The nitrification cycle is per definition not complete if there will be a build up of nitrite. I have tested my and other aquariums for nitrite so many times that I know that the concentration will go up and down.

You say that nitrite has no negative effects in saltwater and your evidences is that your links and working threads has not shown that. How - can you say that and see yourself in the mirror when you at the same time state that no one is testing for nitrite?

Sincerely Lasse

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf really i was wondering where in that video applies to this thread on nitrite, which portion

Did her animals die that I'd missed? Did she purposefully add fish to an unready tank- what's the application to this thread

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how here, only here in the sidelines seneye isn't accepted as reliable and then daily in chats with top chemists in this forum, who do real testing, it's remarkably accepted. Pretty convenient right

sideline evaluations (and critiques) are safest.

Seneye provides the basis for most of the new testing rollouts in the chemistry forum here on cycling, bottle bac testing, prime water prep testing, seneye ran the backup studies to Dr Reefs bottle bac thread which is massive, you'd be amazed what they're doing with seneye in chat Garf.

It's OK if you doubt, that won't change pace of new information learned and it wasn't coming from you posting random youtube videos that pop up in everyone's feed at the same time two months ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked before Brandon - and I ask again - please post any evidence that seneye not is another hobby test and a scientific validation of it. You are like a worker in the agriculture industry - you are pickin cherries.

And please Brandon - this thread - started by me - is about the importance of measuring nitrite in a reef aquarium - not about insulting persons that not think like you. If you want to state that the earth is flat - please do that - but every time you say this in a thread - you will get reactions.

Sincerely Lasse

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...this thread - started by me - is about the importance of measuring nitrite in a reef aquarium...
My apologies if I put this thread farther off the rails. I liked your original post, and others you have started or engaged in, and should have stayed out of the fray. Please continue to engage & throw a picture of that gorgeous tank of yours every once in a while.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like the best use of time going forward here will be watching for tank or experiment outcomes logged that reinforce or deny our stances. can’t wait to see what’s been proven by page ten.

the only way we can move the nitrite thread forward is to track differences in outcome for those who do and dont measure it. All theories have been listed in detail pro and con for the measure, analysis of application across systems is what’s left.

times I think testing nitrite would be helpful:

-any type of quarantine tank nitrification study or study in surface area removal or cleaning, can be used to identify breakdowns in the nitrification pathway to nitrate.

-any application of studying Lasse your aerobic filter design. how addition or subtraction of those in a system affect nitrite would be neat data to know

- anytime someone has a digital low range kit. It would be fascinating to know what the running conversion levels are for nitrite in cycled reef tanks. Nh3 converts in the thousandths ppm, not zero, we can see on running reef tanks with the right gear. It would be great to know what nitrite runs at continuous throughout the day

-any study where someone takes time to track what bottle bacteria can do. Any nitrite data from one of those studies on the effects of various strains of bottle bac is fascinating nitrite data.

just not in display tank reefing or cycling. One less misreading kit is better for updated cycling procedures. Focusing all concern in cycling on fish disease prevention instead is the right move based on direct long term tracking of reef tank cycles.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lasse would you agree or disagree there

he’s at five weeks submersion time, demonstrable ammonia control but his nitrite reads positive

see the hesitation that follows nitrite testing? Many people buy more bottle bac at this point. He’s done, he paid for the quick start with bacteria already that always tests on seneye to work right out of the bottle, no wake or lag time.

new cycling science put him at ease as stated there

When is his allowed start date if not now?

is there a point you would agree to misreads being possible there or ignoring the nitrite readding for his cycle challenge?

nobody has talked about disease prevention as the real concern

twenty pages of proof that nitrite isn’t harmful, failing to train cyclers on disease loss is harmful
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-unstick-any-seemingly-stuck-cycle.742202/

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back