The Indonesian Ban Has Been Lifted!! Now What?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It appears that it has been made OFFICIAL!! The ban on Indonesian livestock has been lifted!!! This is truly great news, and you can read the Reef Builders article here: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/10/03/indonesian-corals/

My question for our discussion is, What Now?? What should we expect to see moving forward?

I don't think anyone can deny that the harvesting and exportation of reef wildlife is much different today than it has been in the past, and I'd expect we'll continue to see changes coming over the next several years. As the article mentions, conservation efforts to help create a sustainable trade culture is in everyone's best interest. We should want to see efforts made to protect the wildlife in its natural habitat. But what do you guys expect that will look like? I know we're all just guessing at this point, but what types of things should we expect from places like Indonesia? What do you think will be put into place, and when will we see indo corals available again (and at what price)?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that everyone will be scared that they will close it down again, and thus buy up any and every bit of coral that will come out of Indonesia for a while driving up prices greatly. Supply and demand. You cant blame the suppliers and the LFS stores as the ban put a strain on them financially.

Last edited:

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen conflicting responses all day.

I don't know if its lifted or not. Some say their sources confirm its not lifted yet while some are saying its lifted.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen conflicting responses all day.

I don't know if its lifted or not. Some say their sources confirm its not lifted yet while some are saying its lifted.
According to the Indonesian Corals, Shell and Fish Ornamental Association:

“Indonesian Coral and Anemone Ban has been lifted. Following a conciliation meeting in front of all different ministries in the Indonesian National Parliament. The Indonesian fisheries ministry has been asked to revoke their May 4th instruction of not issuing Health Certificate for domestic and international shipments of corals and anemones."

I wonder if maybe what some are trying to point out is that exportation has not yet resumed?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Indonesian fisheries ministry has been asked to revoke

I find it awkward that they are still asking versus saying its been revoked. Asking makes it seem like the fisheries ministry still has the final say.

Jax7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that it has been made OFFICIAL!! The ban on Indonesian livestock has been lifted!!! This is truly great news, and you can read the Reef Builders article here: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/10/03/indonesian-corals/

My question for our discussion is, What Now?? What should we expect to see moving forward?

I don't think anyone can deny that the harvesting and exportation of reef wildlife is much different today than it has been in the past, and I'd expect we'll continue to see changes coming over the next several years. As the article mentions, conservation efforts to help create a sustainable trade culture is in everyone's best interest. We should want to see efforts made to protect the wildlife in its natural habitat. But what do you guys expect that will look like? I know we're all just guessing at this point, but what types of things should we expect from places like Indonesia? What do you think will be put into place, and when will we see indo corals available again (and at what price)?
Does this include rock? I have been needing a load! ‍♀️

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typical government. Different agencies working together (or not) and having to rely on the one who dropped the guidance to revoke it. Its likely not official until they do so.
Right. This would be the equivalent of Congress asking the Department of the Interior to do something. If congress tells them to do it, it has to be done...but...bureaucracy... :)

mpedersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, things are not definitive, there is a ton of conflicting information at the moment. Cause for optimism? Seems likely. But...actually lifted? Not 100% sure on that at this time...still.

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as this stunk, I think it showed the community how valuable fragging is. It not only breaks the dependance on wild harvested coral, but it helps companies that promote fragging of existing coral.

Personally if my local fish store jacked up prices I would just go to another.

I wont buy guns from cheaper than dirt anymore because of their practices.

Arrick_L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a run on corals, and that will drive up prices. Things will stabilize over time however. I think people in our hobby still have to be the loudest voices when it comes to conservation. We have to show we are on the right side of this and give real facts about the industry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If there is an availability, I would grab species while we can before they change their minds. I wonder what is left after the recent Monsoons and Tsunami that wrecked the island and adjoining Jakarta last weekend

Arrick_L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is an availability, I would grab species while we can before they change their minds. I wonder what is left after the recent Monsoons and Tsunami that wrecked the island and adjoining Jakarta last weekend

I wonder if the tsunami is what pushed the government to act. Obviously money is needed to repair communities and lifting the ban may be a way to create revenue.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that everyone will be scared that they will close it down again, and thus buy up any and every bit of coral that will come out of Indonesia for a while driving up prices greatly. Supply and demand. You cant blame the suppliers and the LFS stores as the ban put a strain on them financially.

Lifting the ban will increase the supply, lowering the price.

Before the ban, banned livestock was selling for insane prices.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wonder if the tsunami is what pushed the government to act. Obviously money is needed to repair communities and lifting the ban may be a way to create revenue.
I think that is a great possibility !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Australia will stop price gouging for a bit.

Yes. They took advantage of reduction in availability and will have to change their pricing and behaviors with sales and import now that availability of livestock has broadened

suta42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that. They’ll need a lot of competition before that happens...

Danj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of us who weren't paying attention (i know, i know :eek:), what specific livestock was affected by this ban? Or does so much stuff come from Indonesia that it affected nearly everything?

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of us who weren't paying attention (i know, i know :eek:), what specific livestock was affected by this ban? Or does so much stuff come from Indonesia that it affected nearly everything?

Im not sure what else but for most hobbyists its cheaper wild colonies and acropora. It affected the trade a lot. Corals that came out of there right before the ban sky rocketed in price and since there was no indo Australlia became main source. Australlia took advatange and raised their prices hugely knowing people would still buy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back