The ins and outs of my 20,000 gallon reef tank .

OP
OP
Pigpen

Pigpen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing part of the floor behind the tank to fit the new skimmer in .

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, can you explain a little more about your automatic calcium reactor? Is it auto sort of like the Dastaco? Or in another way?

Corey

OP
OP
Pigpen

Pigpen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corey, it is kind of like the dastaco but we fixed the issues the dastaco has . we did away with the peristaltic pump to feed water through the unit and replaced it with our own design that uses no pump to break or fail . the unit atomically controls the flow of co2 into the unit . you do not need a ph controller to operate the unit and no probes to deal with . the unit will work work with small tanks to larger tanks in 1000 gallon range . we made it this was so it can expand with you and your ca/alk needs . if you want more ca just increase it on the digital controller .

ca controller.jpg

DSC_1582.JPG

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill,

So I lets at I like my alk @8.5. I just plug that into the controller and it does the rest?
Turns on the reactor when it gets below that target number and shuts it off when it is above?

Corey

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corey, it is kind of like the dastaco but we fixed the issues the dastaco has . we did away with the peristaltic pump to feed water through the unit and replaced it with our own design that uses no pump to break or fail . the unit atomically controls the flow of co2 into the unit . you do not need a ph controller to operate the unit and no probes to deal with . the unit will work work with small tanks to larger tanks in 1000 gallon range . we made it this was so it can expand with you and your ca/alk needs . if you want more ca just increase it on the digital controller .

ca controller.jpg

DSC_1582.JPG

Hello Mr. Wann,

Found this thread and stayed up reading the whole thing, I couldn't stop. What lead me here I was looking at the DaStaco, but looking at what you have, sounds like a better way to go and they will probably bury me with it! I do a fair bit of DIY myself, and am well known among my friends for over-building things, they call it "Jeff Approved".

My tank is 135G (sorry, tiny by comparison), with sumps about 200G total. You say in your post here that you need no pH controller, but it is available as an option when you order. Would that be just in case you want one anyways? And it looks like there might be different levels of controllers depending on the size you get. Basically I want one that is as automated as possible like the DaStaco, and you really seem to know what your doing where it comes to automation. So would you recommend the 4", 6", or 8" unit? In particular the 4" unit looks like it might not use the newer controller you are talking about.

The dual chamber option is maybe for conditioning the effluent?

If you don't have time to respond in detail, which I would completely understand, I can just direct my questions to your company address.

This will be my first reef tank although I have been doing aquariums for almost 40 years, including retail and commercial aquaculture, but mostly all freshwater. If all goes well with this tank, I will most certainly get a larger one in the future.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone like yourself doing the things you do. It is very inspiring.

Thanks

-JCL

P.S.
The only thing I have done that is anywhere near the caliber of things you are doing is in the area of home cinema* (*I call it cinema because home theater does not do it justice), which is my other ridiculous expensive hobby. Don't know if you are into that, but I think you could appreciate it. 12' x 5' screen and $15K in sound material alone. I work with an acoustic engineer, it's a dedicated room and the setup is all custom. The speakers I use are all from a company that makes commercial stuff, and they are happy to make custom items for me anytime. The one I am getting ready to build will have 13 speakers, 4 subwoofers, about 5KW in amplifiers, and so on. If you need one of those in your house, let me know ;-)

lankanreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
beautiful tank you have here. I’m also building a concrete saltwater tank, around 3000 gallons. The problem I’m having is, what is the best way to seal the concrete? Should I use some sort of epoxy or should I go for fiberglass? I’ve currently applied 3 layers of masterseal which is a cémentitious waterproofing membrane. Do you think this will be enough or should I also do fiberglass? Your help will truly be appreciated

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back