The interbreeding of different species of Fish/Inverts.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about my Firefish Goby this morning, can Firefish breed with Helfrichi's or Purple Dartfish? I know Flower horns are the product of breeding 2 or 3 fish species but I'm super interested in what the marine hobby has to offer for different morphs in species. I'm very interested in the possibility of pairing two closely related species together to breed as well as symbiotic mutually beneficial relationships that don't involve breeding like gobies and shrimp, cleaners, and much more.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about my Firefish Goby this morning, can Firefish breed with Helfrichi's or Purple Dartfish? I know Flower horns are the product of breeding 2 or 3 fish species but I'm super interested in what the marine hobby has to offer for different morphs in species. I'm very interested in the possibility of pairing two closely related species together to breed as well as symbiotic mutually beneficial relationships that don't involve breeding like gobies and shrimp, cleaners, and much more.
I don’t know about fire fish, but angelfish and butterflyfish interbreed in the wild. Percula and ocellatus clowns have been crossed in captivity. Back in the 1970’s Aqualife Research crossed French and gray angels. Bali Aquarich is crossing a lot of angelfish currently.

Jay

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not much information available. Most of the information I've seen has been for clownfish, Grammas, Pseudochromis and angelfish. Big problem is many fish still can't be breed in large numbers and hybridizing isn't breeders top priority

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they will fight. very, very rarely they will pair up, and rarer still will that result in successful spawning, although ive never heard of a case in captivity.

A large amount of hybrid animals are sterile.

Its much easier to selectively breed a species then to create hybrids, a very pronounced case of this is dogs, all dog breeds are still one species.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be possible:

I am not sure how sure they are this is a genuine hybrid and not just some sort of aberrant coloration of N. Magnifica, though.
without testing its hard to say. According to the article they caught a few pictures of that one, but didn't see an actual pair of a magnifca and a helfirichi. Additionally, when in a school/shoal like that, they'd just tear a lone helfrichi to shreds

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without testing its hard to say. According to the article they caught a few pictures of that one, but didn't see an actual pair of a magnifca and a helfirichi. Additionally, when in a school/shoal like that, they'd just tear a lone helfrichi to shreds
I think it is more likely to be just an albino or weird pigment mutation of N. magnifica because aside from the color difference it has all the same markings.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is more likely to be just an albino or weird pigment mutation of N. magnifica because aside from the color difference it has all the same markings.
exactly, same shape, same eyes, accepted by a school, same fins, same body, colors that look slightly like a helfichi is the only thing weird with this one IMO

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering this because I currently have two Cardinal species within the Ostorhinchus genus (sealei and cyanosoma) and plan to get a few more species of the same genus. My two Seale's Cardinals are females and have been producing eggs recently. So, I was curious if there was a possibility of some hybrid Cardinals if some of the Cardinals I get in the future are male.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering this because I currently have two Cardinal species within the Ostorhinchus genus (sealei and cyanosoma) and plan to get a few more species of the same genus. My two Seale's Cardinals are females and have been producing eggs recently. So, I was curious if there was a possibility of some hybrid Cardinals if some of the Cardinals I get in the future are male.
unlikely, i have no reports of breeding, even if it does happen, theres not a great chance itll produce any viable eggs.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, red firefish will not mix with the other species. This is due to the other species being Solitary or Pairs, they are NOT communal unlike the reds. Also the Red firefish is not closely related to purples, elegants or helfrichis. The purples and elegants may be closely related but still are VERY unlikely to pair.

While yes, Elegant firefirefish, Red firefish, Purple firefish and Helfrichi firefish are in the same genus, this doesn’t mean they’re closely related. Just that they are distantly related.

The only goby hybrid I’ve ever read about or seen in captivity was the hybrid between two of the Koumansettas (K. hectori and K. rainfordi). There is a new Koumansetta species that isn’t really mentioned though, Koumansetta hoesei which would be a nice fish to own (Very similar to Hectori though and I have yet to spot visual differences).

Back