The ION Director video is here! Automatically test Ca, Mg, NO3, K and Na!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know what the cost per test is? or have i missed the post with it in.
I believe that is on their FAQ page.

Each test $0.27 which yields 5 parameter. Or some companies like to play semantics and breaking it down to cost per parameter, to compare apples to apples with other claims it's $0.05 per test...

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is on their FAQ page.

Each test $0.27 which yields 5 parameter. Or some companies like to play semantics and breaking it down to cost per parameter, to compare apples to apples with other claims it's $0.05 per test...
I think the cost of the probe also needs to be taken into consideration. Last I saw it was estimated to last 6 to 18 months. Taking 12 months for the life would add ~ $0.18 to each test, performing testing twice a day for a year.

Annual cost of Reference A (1000ml), Reference B (1000ml) and a probe would be $345.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the cost of the probe also needs to be taken into consideration. Last I saw it was estimated to last 6 to 18 months. Taking 12 months for the life would add ~ $0.18 to each test, performing testing twice a day for a year.

Annual cost of Reference A (1000ml), Reference B (1000ml) and a probe would be $345.

You could add other things like annual dosing pump heads and tubing replacement. Honestly in my case a test three times a week will probably be enough. We will all probably start out testing daily but once things are stable I see no need.
Less frequent testing will cut a lot of costs and wear and tear. Maybe even increase probe life to the full 18 months.

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add other things like annual dosing pump heads and tubing replacement. Honestly in my case a test three times a week wii probably be enough. We will all probably start out testing daily but once things are stable I see no need.
Less frequent testing will cut a lot of costs and wear and tear. Maybe even increase probe lit to the full 18 months.
True, for an even more accurate estimate the cost of the director and doser should also be included.

What kind of life would one put on those, 7 years or so?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, for an even more accurate estimate the cost of the director and doser should also be included.

What kind of life would one put on those, 7 years or so?
No idea, I think it's a huge variable depending on how well you treat your equipment. If we are going to keep it an Apples to Apples comparison then the only thing included in the cost per test are the Reagents / Calibration fluids. Neptune has Yet to announce what it will cost to service the Trident and so far all the cost analysis I have done are based just on the consumables.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do we need to calibrate the dosing pump that go into the ion director?
I suspect it’s not that often since exact amounts are not critical to ion probes.
You just need to make sure the sensors are submerged in calibration fluid and then sample water.

wyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on when its actually being released?

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on when its actually being released?
"We have to wait at least 1-2 months to see what the field test results will show.
Delivery to our pre-orderers depends on the test results. If everything goes very well, the first units can be delivered in December 2020, otherwise in January and February 2021.

wyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We have to wait at least 1-2 months to see what the field test results will show.
Delivery to our pre-orderers depends on the test results. If everything goes very well, the first units can be delivered in December 2020, otherwise in January and February 2021.
Excellent but im going for Jan/Feb now based on the time left in December looking forward to adding this to my existing GHL gear.
Thanks

Last edited:

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way way back when we pre-ordered, ghl said no fluids would be needed to run the ion director now there are 2 fluids to buy?

what are these 2 new fluids for calibration, and if we cannot diy, we're going to consider canceling. ph4 and 7?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way way back when we pre-ordered, ghl said no fluids would be needed to run the ion director now there are 2 fluids to buy?

what are these 2 new fluids for calibration, and if we cannot diy, we're going to consider canceling. ph4 and 7?
there have always been reference fluids required to run it from day one

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think the claim was no reagents required.

Found a snippet on an old ad:
The precise and durable multi-ion sensor, specially developed by GHL for seawater analysis, requires no reagents, cost-effective calibration liquids are used for the automatic calibration

Did this product hit the market yet? Last I heard was Jan/Feb sometime?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the claim was no reagents required.

Found a snippet on an old ad:
The precise and durable multi-ion sensor, specially developed by GHL for seawater analysis, requires no reagents, cost-effective calibration liquids are used for the automatic calibration

Did this product hit the market yet? Last I heard was Jan/Feb sometime?
Jan/Feb 202X

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since day one it always needed two calibration fluids and this was always to be automated.
Guess you weren't paying attention.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it’s nothing to do with pH.. and yes, you will need to buy them from GHL, there’s nothing like this on the market for you to diy it.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes, no 'reagents.'

but other consumables -- don't recall seeing that early on.

so in the video, the unit performed calibration before the test -- is this always the case? or is there a recommended/user adjustable calibration interval?

diy depends on cal fluid pricepoint... im sure a few people have access to analysis equipment.

and while we wait for the next ghl update... anyone know why phosphate was left out? i thought i heard something like it was tried, but dropped.

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so in the video, the unit performed calibration before the test -- is this always the case? or is there a recommended/user adjustable calibration interval?
No, the video show first, calibration with Ref.A, then test, then calibration with Ref.B.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but other consumables -- don't recall seeing that early on
From the first day as I saw it. And calibration is a part of the process.

PO4 was excluded - as I understand it - because the method was not reliable for the low concentration we run a reef.

The price point - have you checked the GHL store - if you have not - a link is here

Sincerely Lasse

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back