The Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish: A True Asian Beauty

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read from the above that more than one specie of genicanthus can be kept together but only one of them can be male. I wonder if ppl have any actual experience to support that. If so, pls chime in. Thanks.
I am trying it, I have a male Semifasciatus and male Watanabe...we will see what happens. So far they don't seem to have any interest in each other.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying it, I have a male Semifasciatus and male Watanabe...we will see what happens. So far they don't seem to have any interest in each other.

Thanks! Did you get the pair from Colin? How big is your tank?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Did you get the pair from Colin? How big is your tank?
I did! They are beautiful! He did not mention any concern with both but we will see. I have a 120 gal. "Fatboy" I guess is what they are called now lol these are my only "big" fish really, I have 2 lyre tail anthias, and a tomini tang. Otherwise I have nano tank fish in a big tank. We will see, I have been thinking about removing the lyre tails for a while now, the male is just mean!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did! They are beautiful! He did not mention any concern with both but we will see. I have a 120 gal. "Fatboy" I guess is what they are called now lol these are my only "big" fish really, I have 2 lyre tail anthias, and a tomini tang. Otherwise I have nano tank fish in a big tank. We will see, I have been thinking about removing the lyre tails for a while now, the male is just mean!

Pls share some pictures when you get a chance. This thread also mentioned that these angelfish would sometimes go after fish like anthias and fairy wrasse. Did yours ever do that?

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read from the above that more than one specie of genicanthus can be kept together but only one of them can be male. I wonder if ppl have any actual experience to support that. If so, pls chime in. Thanks.

Yes, you can mix Genicanthus species successfully. Many folks have done this over the years - google search can give you specifics. However, I have yet to hear of anyone successfully keeping more than one alpha male. Typically, one or both males will revert.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding one of these gals to my 180.

I have a 3" regal angel and a 3" potter angel. Will the swallowtail kill these angels?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding one of these gals to my 180.

I have a 3" regal angel and a 3" potter angel. Will the swallowtail kill these angels?
Swallowtails are planktivores and will have little interest in grazing angels.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is still one of my all-time favorite fish. I will definitely own a pair one day!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair females one larger so hopefully it will transition. Also have a female Bellus. A little bickering between them, but not bad.

coral colonies

Full colonies at great prices!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus should be in 3 or 4 (or 1) in a tank. The aggression the male will put on the smaller female (or larger female to the smaller female) needs to be dispersed between 2 smaller ones (or females) or the male will more than likely kill the female, especially during mating rituals.
Just my experience seeing this on multiple occasions and during breeding.
But, they are great additions. I love watanabe and bellus !

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to add a Pair of Masked Faced swallowtails and Bellus angelfish pair into my Reefer 525XL? I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My buddy has successfully done it and it doesnt look like it will be an issue.

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small female swallowtail angel in a 75 that goes after every other fish I try to put in there. She killed an orange back wrasse, blue sided wrasse, and three anthia... The only things she leaves alone are what was in the tank before she was added which is a percula clown, Starry blenny, a quarter-size hippo Tang, and a leopard wrasse. I was always under the impression these were peaceful fish ?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small female swallowtail angel in a 75 that goes after every other fish I try to put in there. She killed an orange back wrasse, blue sided wrasse, and three anthia... The only things she leaves alone are what was in the tank before she was added which is a percula clown, Starry blenny, a quarter-size hippo Tang, and a leopard wrasse. I was always under the impression these were peaceful fish ?
Usually they are pretty peaceful. I've seen a few specimens make 'swoops' toward other planktivores, but nothing serious. That being said, there can be a wide range of behaviors from different specimens.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39673216-8398-4E9D-AFE2-072200A55AAA.jpeg
My favourite fish in my tank, female Swallowtail. Absolutely the most reef safe fish I have!
4D7F6F72-2585-4EDE-80E6-95A7F6E131D0.jpeg

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I love mine even though she can be aggressive towards certain other fish she's beautiful and always out and about

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted a pair of these locally for a not unreasonable price ...... sorely tempted ...... must resist ..... I do have an open QT though .....

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a pair of bellus angels who I have in QT, now I have the opportunity to get a masked swallowtail angel female....must...resist

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to add a Pair of Masked Faced swallowtails and Bellus angelfish pair into my Reefer 525XL? I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My buddy has successfully done it and it doesnt look like it will be an issue.

I have a pair of masked and a Bellus together. Even after a stay in an acclimation box there was some bickering, but nothing serious. They get along now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back