The Journey Continues - Mike & Terry's 280g Reef Savvy

yachtman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this awesome, stunning, gorgeous, beautiful and fabulous reef? Everything about this set up is really nice. Classy. Sweet cabinet design and the plumbing well thought out. (Although a closed loop is something I can't wrap my mind around, 'yet'!! Leaks scare me and I'm surprised after two past problems, one intense, that you installed one in the new tank )

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see an update on this tank.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to see an update hope everything is ok .I too have now had two 300 gallon deep dimension failures This time it took over 6 months before there insurance company settled and the marineland rep told me I could move my tank to dry out floor then they kicked it to there insurance company and they put level on tank after it had been moved so they said it could not be ruled out other factors may have contributed to failure so they lowered my claim by 1500 hundred dollars.And when the rep from insurance company came he had me slide tank out two feet so he could get behind it.A total joke .Stay away from Marineland and There insurance company Liberty Mutual

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to see an update hope everything is ok .I too have now had two 300 gallon deep dimension failures This time it took over 6 months before there insurance company settled and the marineland rep told me I could move my tank to dry out floor then they kicked it to there insurance company and they put level on tank after it had been moved so they said it could not be ruled out other factors may have contributed to failure so they lowered my claim by 1500 hundred dollars.And when the rep from insurance company came he had me slide tank out two feet so he could get behind it.A total joke .Stay away from Marineland and There insurance company Liberty Mutual

Just saw this after being AWOL for way too long... I have to say I felt a little sick when I read your post and hope you are back in business with a tank you can trust.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are back from our extended hiatus. We have had a few ups and downs over the past couple of years. We went through a second round with the eunice worm about 4 months after the first incident in 2017 and mysteriously lost a few corals after that had been with us for several years. We did manage to save frags of some and others were not impacted at all. We recently did some major pruning and have added a few frags that will hopefully grow in nicely over the next several months.

Here's a video taken last night:

Not sure why, but some folks can't view the embedded video. Here's a direct link to the video on Youtube. Hopefully, that works:
Mike & Terry's Reef - 04/06/20

Over half of our wrasses went into hiding when we cranked up the AI LED's to cut through some of the blue, LOL!

Last edited:

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only good thing from my last tank leak and new start up is that I now have a huge Achilles tang that is doing great in new set up. Quarantine everything now no ick or velvet

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only good thing from my last tank leak and new start up is that I now have a huge Achilles tang that is doing great in new set up. Quarantine everything now no ick or velvet

So glad to hear that! It's a bit of extra work, but quarantine is so worth it. I could not imagine risking the health/lives of any of my fish. Our Desjardini tang has been with us for 17 years, while a few others have been with us over 10. They are all a part of the family.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear that! It's a bit of extra work, but quarantine is so worth it. I could not imagine risking the health/lives of any of my fish. Our Desjardini tang has been with us for 17 years, while a few others have been with us over 10. They are all a part of the family.
Very true before the tank leak I had more than 6 fish that were more than 10 years old .It was harder losing them than some of the more expensive corals .Tank only had 1 inch of water in it when I got home.Starting a new journey with fish I always loved but where to hard to keep with a tank with ick in it.Also now have morish idol and coperband butterfly that are almost a year old and doing great .Would not be without quarantine

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear all is well and that you're past the issues you had last.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking awesome! I really appreciate the spacing you provided to let acros grow out. I had that intention with my tank but unfortunately the addiction got the best of me and my tank is frag city. Are you happy with the Reef Savvy build quality? I assume the answer is yes being everyone loves them. I'm thinking about hitting them up for a 5x4x2 peninsula. Just need to sell a kidney first. :p

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking awesome! I really appreciate the spacing you provided to let acros grow out. I had that intention with my tank but unfortunately the addiction got the best of me and my tank is frag city. Are you happy with the Reef Savvy build quality? I assume the answer is yes being everyone loves them. I'm thinking about hitting them up for a 5x4x2 peninsula. Just need to sell a kidney first. :p

Thank You Dave! We have that same addiction, LOL, and just finished tearing out a few out-of-control, not so HOT corals (green slimer, stylo, turbinaria, etc...) to get back some much needed space for those frags to grow in. Not to mention, our fish really like the extra space and caves to chill out in.

And, YES, We LOVE the Reef Savvy - the build quality is superior and we could not be happier...

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, it says the video is unable to load for me.

however, I’m thrilled you all are still around, and look forward to updates!

Not sure why you were not able to load the video, but Thank You for the kind words!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back