OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: To put it bluntly. The move was a disaster. Upon moving I tried to keep all of the fish for a week while I got the tank set up with frequent water changes . They all ended up dying slowly as I rushed to get the new tank up and running.

First to go were the two black snowflake ocellaris clowns. Next was a fancy ocellaris clown. My bicolor angel was the second to last to go and finally just as I was filling the new tank, the final oscellaris passed.

Certainly upsetting and frustrating that it didn't go smoother. Learned some lessons and hopefully can apply them in the future as I get this new tank up and running.

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the build that I had for my 120G after moving to a new house. As you can see I had a stand with canopy. Lights mounted in the canopy and then a sump plumbed underneath the tank in the stand.

IMG_7407.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

IMG_7464.jpeg

Here are a couple more pictures from the side of the 120G.

59608362841__05CE22A6-29D7-429C-A378-52852ECB5DCC.jpg

59608379620__3D395970-59C6-48EB-9DE4-3F6C692F51B6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After briefly having my 120G at the new house, my wife vetoed the size of it. I had it set up for about 4 week before we decided to sell it and downsize. I have now went to a 65 gallon (close to the 55 gallon in width and height but 6 inches wider. On the bright side it is moved from down in the basement to upstairs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the new setup and rockwork. Still seeded the tank with my original rock but cut down on a little bit of it in order to have a little more space near the top.

Equipment update:
65G Tank
FX4 Canister Filter
Eheim Jäger Heater
2 Prime HD

Tried to go with two main rock structures, with a lagoon/cave feature on the left and different pass throughs on the right. Then a slight slit down the middle between the two formations.

IMG_7611.jpeg

IMG_7612.jpeg

Had to get rid of my sump with the 120G tank and move from the basement to upstairs. Decided to go canister filter route. I know there are mixed reviews on the use of canister filters in saltwater tanks but it makes the most sense and if I can keep it clean it, hopefully it will work out well. This little guy has a lot of flow coming from it.

325D817A-21A4-4737-BA3D-754874E92929.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only did I seed the new tank with the rock that I had in my 120G (from the 55G) but also helped seed it with some Fritz beneficial bacteria.

30C0B5D5-E14E-435E-B2AC-7322ACF1A294.jpeg

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am impatient and decided to try and keep a couple of my fish in the display tank when switching tanks. I also tried to add another fish from online. I have decided that I am too impatient and need to slow down. These fish developed ich/brooklynella. I tried to treat with Reef Rally Pro and Kick Ich, however I wasn't able to get these soon enough and these fish didn't make it.

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is now two weeks after the tank being empty. Another 4 weeks to go before adding fish. I have decided that I will for sure quarantine the fish this time and take my time. Treating with copper and potentially other meds before sending them into the tank. I need to slow down and make sure the fish are healthy.

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank now. Have a couple snails and hermit crabs that are still alive. I did finish the treatment of Reef Rally Pro and Kick Ich Pro. Tank is looking pretty good.

C79EA2BD-580A-4A5A-8FF5-2D4D3129EE3E.jpeg

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite not having any fish in the tank right now, getting a little nervous for our vacation in about 3 weeks. Should be interesting.

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update without pictures and I'll post a few more in the days to come. I currently have allowed the tank to go fallow since the end of February after the velvet (I know believe that is what it was with the number of white patches/dusting that was on each fish). Therefore we are at about 16-18 weeks or so since I had fish in there last.
Over the past four months, I was discouraged to say the least. Not only was I frustrated, but my wife and kids were as well. They didn't understand why everything died and what went wrong. I've done a lot of reflection and research over this time frame, with the quarantine helping give me a little more time, and really want to be cautious about moving forward.
In the last 4 months, the only thing living in my tank has been a cleanup crew. I have about 10 snails, 6 hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. They all seem to be doing pretty well in the tank, which I feed fairly regularly in order to keep their food supply up.
I have done testing and the numbers are all looking pretty good. Another thing that I have added over that time frame is an APEX. Trying to keep a closer eye on my parameters and numbers.
In short, it is time to start adding some fish to this system. I am definitely nervous about adding fish in and the potential to fail again at keeping them. I'm going to try and purchase as much as I can from LFS instead of online, although I may make an exception for TSM Aquatics, who quarantines their fish. I will be setting up an observation, quarantine 10G tank and treating with copper and Ruby Red/ICH meds. I will be patient, proactive, and the new beginning is now.

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking pretty good at the moment and I think it's time to add some fish. Here is a current picture of the tank. Really need to get a black background put up to block the wires/cords.

IMG_8143.jpeg

I have a CUC in the tank at the moment and it consists of about 10 snails, 5 hermit crabs and an emerald crab. I'm going to be adding a couple more snails and hermit crabs with the fish that I get at a later date.

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_7712.jpeg

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially have the first two fish and waiting on the 3rd to come and put into QT. These guys will be in QT for at least 2 weeks and I may extend that out for a full 4 weeks, depending on how things go. I have never done QT before, but that is where I ran into problems with the first few tanks that I have setup, specifically, this tank after I set it up in the new house and velvet wiped out everything.

Stock List Thus Far in QT:
2 Black Ice Clownfish

IMG_8210.jpeg

Here is the setup that I will have them in. I attached the 3rd AI Prime HD that I had on the 120G to the QT tank to have the same light cycle as the 65G Display.

IMG_8190.jpeg

Looks like they are doing ok for the first day. I will be using Copper Power and testing to get to a therapeutic level between 2-2.5ppm. I will ramp up the level over the next 5 days or so.

They are pretty active in their first few days of QT. They eagerly come over the the glass and up to the top when I am feeding them. Very personable when I come to the tank, they don't hide, but actually come out of the PVC pipe to see if I'm putting food in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next purchase for QT has been made. Was looking for an algae grazer of some type. I know I can't have a tang in the tank so the next best thing to the shape, movement, and size would be an angelfish. Looking at the dwarf angels I was drawn to the flame, bicolor, multicolor and coral beauty. I have had a bicolor in the past, so I wanted to try something different. I also had a flame angel for a few weeks as well in the 120G and it wouldn't eat and didn't survive. Normally the coral beauty isn't as vibrant and a little too dark blue/purple for my eye. Therefore I was pretty set on the multicolor angel. However, I haven't been able to find one online or get my LFS to order one. I have credit at LiveAquaria and was just looking at the Diver's Den the other day and saw a coral beauty that caught my eye and made the purchase. We shall see if the yellows/orange/red is as bright and stunning in person.

lg-0708201-072.jpg

Having had the tank up and running for the better part of 6-7 months, I felt I was able to support an anemone for the clownfish as well.

lg-070820-005.jpg

OP
OP
RX_

RX_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't buy a break

I walk by the tank today and start to look at anything I can prep for the day and I hear a dripping sound. I look all around and can't figure out where it is coming from but then I look underneath the stand and I see it coming down one of the cords from the back of the tank. I follow the cord up and see that it appears as though the tank is leaking from the bottom pane of glass and it is coming out on the backside of the stand between the tank and the stand.

Needless to say I am rushing to get everything out of the tank so that more of the water doesn't leak onto the floor. I've temporarily set everything into containers and I have heaters and powerheads going with any of the inverts that were left in teh tank with a few rocks.

What a night.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back