The joys of leaks

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the last few days I broke down my tank to clean it due to finding the reason behind ammonia. Cleaned everything and done a leak test after the tank dried, no leak showed up. proceeded to set everything back up with new sand, putting the rocks back in, and starting to fill it back up. I didn’t get to filled it back 100% due to running out of salt but it was 3/4 of the way full. I was woken up at 3 am to my wife finding water on the floor…. Oh the joys of being in the hobby!
Oh and I also lost my fuge light when this happened.

(yes it’s a mess under the tank. That will be straightened up when I get everything in order again)

2FA0AE31-A994-4840-AA47-2051AE30AE9B.jpeg
046FB55A-C1C1-4503-A24D-715014CBDE6F.jpeg

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the headache! Assuming the leak is coming from the bottom of the DT? If that's the case, i'd be careful with repair, that's a risky area to trust after filling backup with the weight of water, rocks, sand, etc.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the headache! Assuming the leak is coming from the bottom of the DT? If that's the case, i'd be careful with repair, that's a risky area to trust after filling backup with the weight of water, rocks, sand, etc.
I’m gonna get some silicone today and work on it, and let it sit for 2 days before filling again.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I’m understanding your question right that black piece is the underside support.
Got it! I don’t think you can just put a bead in there and call it a day.. the entire tank is gotta come part and be cleaned and re-sealed.. I’d look for a new tank if you’re in a hurry.. that entire bottom seam will blow out because silicone doesn’t stick to silicone..

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! I don’t think you can just put a bead in there and call it a day.. the entire tank is gotta come part and be cleaned and re-sealed.. I’d look for a new tank if you’re in a hurry.. that entire bottom seam will blow out because silicone doesn’t stick to silicone..
In this general area
9FC2C3DB-5E11-4830-81CF-AC6FCDA653C9.jpeg

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had good luck with this type of quick repair. In both cases for me it was a 6 ft tank that developed a leak at bottom. Both began leaking again about 1 year later at a much higher rate. Funny I was talking to the owner of my LFS about repairing a tank and he quickly chimed in that he never gets more than a year out of repairs...
Your mileage may vary - could also go better with smaller tanks. Just keep in mind it's most likely going to start leaking again

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right everyone knows brand new 75 gallon aquariums , is on sale at the Petco right now $129 , add something anything to color up to the black trim for aesthetics

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had good luck with this type of quick repair. In both cases for me it was a 6 ft tank that developed a leak at bottom. Both began leaking again about 1 year later at a much higher rate. Funny I was talking to the owner of my LFS about repairing a tank and he quickly chimed in that he never gets more than a year out of repairs...
Your mileage may vary - could also go better with smaller tanks. Just keep in mind it's most likely going to start leaking again
What is the best way to fix this stuff? Just toss and buy another?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what I have in my livestock 75 may be to small for everything to live comfortably
I would replace it. Set the old one aside and take it apart and rebuild it on the slow train for a back up later or sell it as a reptile tank. Make sure you use the correct silicone.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go on f aceb ook market place , I see great large acrylic tanks on there,,,,

Last edited:

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check in big citys near you , a small vacation may be in order , make sure you can see all the seams before buying , yes thick panels welded perfect are almost PRICELESS , scratches dont bother me , just not that unbelievable hazy garbage

Last edited:
Back