The little devil himself

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased live rock 3 months ago. I am very pleased with the product and the results. For am aquarium 3 months old, I did have cycling, cyanobacteria and/or green hair algae. I have enjoyed the diversity of life.
However, I have been hearing popping noises. Through research, I have a mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp. Attached is a photo of the devil himself. He is very cute. He/she has been fun to watch putting their house together every night. I would not mind feeding it. However, I can't risk loosing my favorite fish(es). Tonight, I caught a second one by chance. As I am typing, I can hear another one clicking. GRRRH!!

20200903_182151.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a mantis and they will destroy and eat all inverts and ones with shells.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased live rock 3 months ago. I am very pleased with the product and the results. For am aquarium 3 months old, I did have cycling, cyanobacteria and/or green hair algae. I have enjoyed the diversity of life.
However, I have been hearing popping noises. Through research, I have a mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp. Attached is a photo of the devil himself. He is very cute. He/she has been fun to watch putting their house together every night. I would not mind feeding it. However, I can't risk loosing my favorite fish(es). Tonight, I caught a second one by chance. As I am typing, I can hear another one clicking. GRRRH!!

20200903_182151.jpg
Way cool
Get a goby for symbiosis.
I think they are harmless to fish.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way cool
Get a goby for symbiosis.
I think they are harmless to fish.
NO no no no NO!!!! Not a pistol shrimp!!!!! These guys eat anything and everything in the tank with them. Snails, hermits, fish, inverts, nothing is 100% safe with a mantis. I’ve witnessed one of these bad boys (about 2” long) wipe out a full cuc in a week. I kept one for a while, a buddy of mine at an LFS gave me a full size yellow tang that had died in shipment but was fresh. Told me to drop it in with the mantis and see what happened. Completely disappeared within 4 hours. If you’re gonna keep these, species only tank is the best way to go b

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200903_182151.jpg
What is your plan for them? Surely you can find someone who would love having it. Take it to the LFS maybe? Or keep and build a new tank. Doesn’t have to be big or fancy.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200903_182151.jpg
So if I read this correctly.... 3 mantis in one haul??? Goodness. I would never sleep.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan for them? Surely you can find someone who would love having it. Take it to the LFS maybe? Or keep and build a new tank. Doesn’t have to be big or fancy.
A 10 gallon tank with some softies like a colt coral/Xenia would do it just fine :)

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never even heard of a mantis shrimp until this post and now I'm very interested lol. Beautiful colors on the 'peacock' version
They’re very gorgeous!! One of the creatures on my very long list of ‘species only’ tanks I want.... at this rate Im gonna need a fish room

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s some luck I would like to get rid of before I stock my tank. Always wanted a mantis only tank though.

I used to fear the darn things but I've come around to want to keep one in a tank on it's own. (and free is almost never bad)

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re very gorgeous!! One of the creatures on my very long list of ‘species only’ tanks I want.... at this rate Im gonna need a fish room
Yup, I finished mine last November! I have to share it with my wife and her hydroponic hobby though.
Just so many critters I must have!

9A26142F-ADD8-4AB0-9767-6ED1E65717F6.jpeg 0EEA2D04-6960-4430-9302-D54B209DC908.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back