The little devil himself

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I hand delivered the innocent and cute creature to an unsuspecting LFS like Gizmo the Gremlin. The LFS stated "it's so cute". "What harm can this little shrimp do?" I said "can I get store credit?" I walked away snickering like the little devil himself.
So, just how much store credit?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are thinking about it and will let me know. It is only 2 inches long, so they don't think it is worth that much. If they don't give me any then, I am going to tell them to put it.... in their....CUC tank ha ha
I’ll bet they can get $25+ for it. Would be good if you can find out what kind of mantis it is. Peacock mantis are selling for $99+.

TBS sells Wennerae mantis for $25. 1 shipped to your door for $75.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's most definaltly a mantis shrimp I used to have a rainbow as to it eating and killing everything it depends in what type it is if it's a basher (club hands) it will kill and eat everything with a shell if it's a speaker (spears for hands) it will kill everything without a shell however I would not kill it I would put it in its own tank as they are very very smart and can be trained mine ate out of my hand they have some of the best eye sight on the planet and are very very cool but if it's a basher they can break glass so you woukd need an acrylic tank or really thick glass

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldnt agree more they will only kill the prey they are desined to kill bashers kill shelled things which is why they have a club to break open snails etc and spearers only kill things they can spear also thats only if it's hungry if you keep it feed well they more then likely won't harm anything as with most animals they only kill to eat not becouse they enjoy it

OP
OP
AltitudeAquarium

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much mis-information in this thread. Mantis shrimp are not some mindless killer.
I have been really enjoying their behavior. So far, I have only lost hermit crabs. They have been eating mysis shrimp as well. I am hoping to be able to practice good husbandry to keep them healthy and happy. My intent of my original posting was not to create or add to the paranoia of keeping these animals. Also, I was trying to provide a humorous story to alleviate the misunderstanding of the behavior of these beautiful and intelligent animals.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everything eats poor hermit crabs even hermits crabs themselves just because they want that ones shell even tho there are 30 more just like it laying 2 inches away thank you for the reply and mantis shrimp can be a great addition with everyone seeing it being like what is that just about everything we keep can and will become preditory if its hungry enoff hope you have good luck with the little guy also based on the pic hard to see I think its a Chiragra Mantis which only get 4 inches or so I had one a long long time ago basher came in on live rock and it never ever hurt anything except hermits and a small snail every now and again they are not powerfully enoff to break glass or think snail shells like turbo and it ate frozen my sis brine and I hand feed it krill start with tweezers untill it gets used to taking food from you as I got poped one time left a pretty good blood blister

OP
OP
AltitudeAquarium

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everything eats poor hermit crabs even hermits crabs themselves just because they want that ones shell even tho there are 30 more just like it laying 2 inches away thank you for the reply and mantis shrimp can be a great addition with everyone seeing it being like what is that just about everything we keep can and will become preditory if its hungry enoff hope you have good luck with the little guy also based on the pic hard to see I think its a Chiragra Mantis which only get 4 inches or so I had one a long long time ago basher came in on live rock and it never ever hurt anything except hermits and a small snail every now and again they are not powerfully enoff to break glass or think snail shells like turbo and it ate frozen my sis brine and I hand feed it krill start with tweezers untill it gets used to taking food from you as I got poped one time left a pretty good blood blister
According to Tampa bay Saltwater, the mantis is a wennerae. I have not found much information yet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back