The magic pico. This is cheap for real. Suggestions for improvement?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I wanted to share with you some aspects relative to my pico tank, and ask for some suggestions on how to improve it.
It's a random 5g tank I used for keeping the "unwanted" critters. It was looking very ugly so I decided to give it a chance and try to make a tiny macro-xenia tank, where I also keep 2 sexy shrimps and throw some spare frags from time to time. In total I think it costed around 70$. The incredible thing is that I put so little effort in this tank compared to my main DT (32g) but in comparison is going much better.
The build is composed by:
-Random clip on plant led lights, with a lot of reds and very little blue. I think they both are like 50W together. I also supplement that with another 10w 6500k led for the central hours of the day. The result is very white/yellowish. Definitely ugly, but cheap (I had those around for other stuff I did in the past with plants)
IMG_20220717_123956.jpg

-50W heater (15$)
-Hang on filter (Aquael pat mini) made of a pump for water movement and a sponge, which I hardly clean. (15$)
-Random USB 5v pump I use for futher water movement (10$)
-10$ of live rock
I do not have an ATO and clearly I do not dose. I do 30% WC and I feed daily a very little amount of pellet for the 2 sexy shrimps and the pods.
During the heat wave of few weeks ago I got a small bloom of that white-ish blob that grows on the back glass. It looks like bacterial but I am not entirely sure. Aside from that is incredible that I throw random stuff inside, used some sand from my DT which was riddled with dinos, and despite that the sand is very clean and I hardly see nuisance algae. I am trying to get the xenia to grow and cover the back glass, and also I would like to add some more macro species (e.g. blue Hypnea). I recently added some fragments of hollywood stunner that had some brown jelly disease. I dipped them in peroxide 50:50 and blew the brown stuff off them before introducing the frag to the pico and surprisingly not only it recovered but it is also growing very fast compared to the one in my main tank.
This makes me think that there is something I missing about nuisance algae and aquarium care. How is possible that this tiny tank I neglect so much does better than my DT where I dose, test and do all the "usual" maintanance things?
Also, what would you add to such a pico tank? I would like to add more easy corals and see how they do, like an acan and some mushrooms and leathers. Also maybe I could get a couple more sexy shrimps and hope they spawn.

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tiny tanks, partly because I can get away with no dosing (water change), feed heavily (water change), and cheap lighting (I've used the sun for free). I also don't run heaters on any of my tanks anymore, but that's my own weird thing, and I don't have fish/ shrimp that require particular temps.

Only equipment I use are lights, a filter/ pump, and a jug of distilled water for to offs.

Looking forward to seeing yours grow

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tiny tanks, partly because I can get away with no dosing (water change), feed heavily (water change), and cheap lighting (I've used the sun for free). I also don't run heaters on any of my tanks anymore, but that's my own weird thing, and I don't have fish/ shrimp that require particular temps.

Only equipment I use are lights, a filter/ pump, and a jug of distilled water for to offs.

Looking forward to seeing yours grow
I tried with no heater but the xenia receded fast, my initial idea was to run the tank without a heater too. Do you have a build thread with pics of yours?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried with no heater but the xenia receded fast, my initial idea was to run the tank without a heater too. Do you have a build thread with pics of yours?

Lights are off for now, but even with a windowsill pico that probably had huge temp swings from direct sunlight it worked out fine. Xenia was immediately happier there than my main 2 gallon tank. In the 2 gallon, it pouted hardcore for maybe 10 days before realizing that it wasn't so bad, and grew like a weed. It would still go through a dramatic day-night cycle regardless.

Now I just have a 3 gallon, and it goes through daily 5+ degree temp changes, but always within a safe range, and it's in a temp-controlled room. In winter the lowest I recorded was ~68 degrees, but I just stopped checking since nothing was actually caring. Actually had some zoas prefer the unheated tank (before massive crash forcing reset) It's been over a year unheated, and multiple crashes aside it seems fine. I finally realized hermit crab was murdering stuff and letting it rot where I couldn't see it, which had been my crashing issue.

Please note: I only keep coral with a strong will to live. Mostly a lot of hardy stuff like zoas, favia, mushrooms, sea fans

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back