The Micro Reef of Nano Tanks, Anyone can make.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the clearest jar I could.
Placed in a piece of loose rock.
1.jpg

Disassembled a USB LED. Soldered some spare wiring to the LED board while it is fixed in position to the lid ~ This step was quite intricate and the new circuit should be wrapped in thread tape/electrical tape and protected from moisture as much as possible because the LED produces a lot of heat, enough to cause evaporation and moisture buildup around the circuit which will short it and kill the LED, forcing you to rewire some other poor 5V LED and figure out how to waterproof the wiring again. I wrap it in thread tape, then the electrical tape and then I cover it in hot glue to secure it in place as pictured.
2.jpg

I saved this rigid downtube from an old cleaning bottle, why waste it hehe.
3.jpg
I didn't have to drill that center hole, but I wanted some ventilation for the air to flow out as it's injected down the rigid tubing, the hole is right above the LED and I figured the escaping air might help cool it.
4.jpg
I'm using this control valve on a spare pump I had lying around. The pump's super overkill and eBay might source something more practical.
5.jpg
I zip-tied some filter-floss on an off-cut piece of rigid tubing to make some kind of sponge filter.
10.jpg

As for stocking, I initially made this because I noticed 3 Aiptasia on some Macro Algae I bought, up until this point I'd never had it in my system although I was always so intrigued by them in the store. So I cut away all the Aiptasia from my new macro and put 3 if them in the Jar along with the cuttings to see how they'd do.
6.jpg
The next stocking choice goes to one of my baby Trochus snails that spawned in my Nano 25G Waterbox.

7.jpg
And the final piece of livestock I added was this Flatworm which was the biggest one I could find in my tank.
8.jpg
I'm thinking of cutting away some more macro-algae to get a bit more diversity and color going but we'll see how these small pieces go first. Wish my wiring luck lol.

9.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back