The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purposefully used the $40/month for the mindstream since it matches the way the Neptune reagents are purchased on a monthly/bi-monthly basis. I also can’t imagine anyone forking over $40o for a years worth of disks from a company with no track record.

The apex base unit and head unit can be purchased together for $800. You’ve shown them separately for $1,000. That’s not really fair.

You purposely used $40 month because it was the highest price lol. you also ignore the price of replacing probes for the apex - which has to be be done every 1-3 years. The price is similar. The only difference between the 2 is that the mindstream cannot 'control' the system - which I do not want - It also gives you some other parameters - which you might like (or not)

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm... well most people will use the 35$/month - and secondly you're forgetting the need the for apex......

Most people with a Triton have an apex, but it was discussed already, and you clearly aren’t bothering to read the comments, just coming online to argue.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You purposely used $40 month because it was the highest price lol. you also ignore the price of replacing probes for the apex - which has to be be done every 1-3 years. The price is similar. The only difference between the 2 is that the mindstream cannot 'control' the system - which I do not want - It also gives you some other parameters - which you might like (or not)

Seems to me that it’s the price that everyone is going to pay. Also, Neptune charges you bi-monthly so it makes sense to compare that to the monthly charge for the mindstream. If Neptune offered an option to prepay for the full year, then it might make sense to compare that to the full year payment for the mindstream, but they don’t. Again, a useless argument from you.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dissolved oxygen probe for the apex is 700. Dissolved oxygen is included in the mindstream...
And the MM O2 is very good and holds calibration over the whole month. The probe/membrane based O2 measurement that Apex uses suffers poor calibration after a short while. I used multi-thousand dollar YSI dissolved O2 meters in research used to satisfy grants for USDA, NIH and other major funding agencies. We had to calibrate them before every use. Interestingly, all of the new handheld dissolved O2 meters now use optical sensors and all do NIST traceable and very accurate and precise conductivity and temperature measurements in a waterproof housing, all for less than Apex charges for theirs without the nice handheld unit included!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely right. The more I think about it the more I realize mindstream will be cheaper option than most solutions, easiest to use, most peace of mind while providing the most parameters and peace of mind.
Going off the description of the operation, operation and maintenance is low touch from the reefer...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They could easily embed the calibration data on the disk using extremely old/cheap technology. The decision to use the cloud seems more like their version of DRM and helps make sure you are actively paying every 30 days so that they can insure their revenue stream...

I dont know if you dont read other sources - but - unlike some have suggested there is no 'lock out' after 30 days. You can keep using the disk you have in as long as you want - but you will still receive a disk every 30 days. It works just like Trident - the same people are complaining that they have 100 cc left in a bottle of reagent and wondering 'why' they cant use the rest up.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the mindstream progress, as I’m inclined to maybe get one if user reports are positive. Does anyone know if they will have an App or Web interface that can be displayed on a tablet for those of us that have one mounted near the tank at all times?

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are incorrect about major credit companies. first of all here is a website describing the marketing : https://www.flycart.org/blog/subscr...ur-customers-to-pay-one-off-for-subscriptions

Second - Go to time magazine's website - and price out a subscription - its 12/year - renewed annually. Its a common practice.

The issue with the delayed shipment of the product is that you are paying upfront for a physical product that they aren’t going to ship for 6-8 weeks (if ever). I ordered a couch a few months ago. They didn’t charge my card until they shipped it last week. It’s not typical for companies to charge you in advance and then not ship the product for two months. If you order the mindstream now, you are basically giving the company a interest free loan (and you are probably paying interest on your credit card). If you can’t see that, then you just aren’t paying attention.

A subscription to a magazine is different than the subscription to a service, which is usually paid monthly. Most people don’t pay for a year of cable upfront or a year of phone service. They pay monthly. That’s different than a magazine subscription. Really?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most people with a Triton have an apex, but it was discussed already, and you clearly aren’t bothering to read the comments, just coming online to argue.

Don't be silly - of course I read them. The cost of a trident for a new user includes the cost of an apex. Maybe you remember - several months (was it a year or more) ago when everyone started buying Apex 2016 because the launch was 'just around the corner'. Thus - the cost of the apex has to be included in the price of a trident.

The fact is - you might be correct - the product might not come out - but I think the rest of your arguments are literally just to create an argument. Arguing about how much they should charge for the disks??? RFID??? Come on. I dont see you analyzing the cost Neptune has to make their 'solutions' (which my guess is pennies/month). Companies want to make money.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you imagin the ability to change your probs once a month not having to worry about calibrations or probs not working and drifting? Better yet, someone will send them to your home every month...

Imagin not needing to buy test kits or reagents that you have to throw away because they are old or have to throw away 20% of it because the test equipment do not use all the reagent?

Imagin you do not need to send your test equipment to vendor and wait on them to maintain it for you, or needing to open the equipments, buy 50~100$ kit spend time to change tubes and peristaltic heads.

This is powerful stuff wr looking at..really powerful.ad I said if these guys delivered they will change the market....I can see even users of trident or khd switching to mindstream once they hit the 2 year mark and complicated maintenance start hitting...

Time will tell

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the MM O2 is very good and holds calibration over the whole month. The probe/membrane based O2 measurement that Apex uses suffers poor calibration after a short while. I used multi-thousand dollar YSI dissolved O2 meters in research used to satisfy grants for USDA, NIH and other major funding agencies. We had to calibrate them before every use. Interestingly, all of the new handheld dissolved O2 meters now use optical sensors and all do NIST traceable and very accurate and precise conductivity and temperature measurements in a waterproof housing, all for less than Apex charges for theirs without the nice handheld unit included!

You have a MindStream already? Or just drinking the marketing kool-aid lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue with the delayed shipment of the product is that you are paying upfront for a physical product that they aren’t going to ship for 6-8 weeks (if ever). I ordered a couch a few months ago. They didn’t charge my card until they shipped it last week. It’s not typical for companies to charge you in advance and then not ship the product for two months. If you order the mindstream now, you are basically giving the company a interest free loan (and you are probably paying interest on your credit card). If you can’t see that, then you just aren’t paying attention.

A subscription to a magazine is different than the subscription to a service, which is usually paid monthly. Most people don’t pay for a year of cable upfront or a year of phone service. They pay monthly. That’s different than a magazine subscription. Really?

You stated that credit cards do not allow for the purchase of products before they were shipped. You were wrong. That was the point.
Second - did you happen to read the link that I posted (which describes this model - and encourages its use)? Would you mind giving your background in marketing/finance/etc - such that what you're saying makes sense. I mean - only because you dont know every company out there and how common this model is. You are just basing it on your experience. Right? If you are an internet marketer by training or profession - I will have a different opinion of your opinion.

Lastly - I'm getting a little tired of you singling me out for 'arguing' - when all I have read is you arguing with people for most of the thread - i.e. - the company is a fraud, etc (with no evidence whatsoever)....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Oh - and by the way - I disagree about the couch - and many other products. While you're correct that most companies do not charge the whole price - there are many furniture and others that take a hefty deposit which is due upon receipt. I believe when I bought my last RedSea - I had to pay upfront - it was delivered a month or so later.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well most people pay for 2 years of phone services or cable when they subscribe..all these services come with contacts and you and I happily pay it;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems to me that it’s the price that everyone is going to pay. Also, Neptune charges you bi-monthly so it makes sense to compare that to the monthly charge for the mindstream. If Neptune offered an option to prepay for the full year, then it might make sense to compare that to the full year payment for the mindstream, but they don’t. Again, a useless argument from you.

Your insults are getting tiresome. If I buy a Mindstream or Neptune - for xxx dollars - what is the likelihood that I won't buy a years worth of reagents for both of them? Perhaps its not Mindstream thats behind the curve - perhaps its Neptune for not offering a full years worth of reagents at a lower price. The thing that surprises me is that you're pretending that any of this makes a difference. Most people here have said (myself included) that we're not going to just throw money at Mindstream - only to lose that money. Most people are going to wait until they are actually shipping and in peoples hands. Why are you wringing your hands protecting people from something they aren't planning to do?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue with the delayed shipment of the product is that you are paying upfront for a physical product that they aren’t going to ship for 6-8 weeks (if ever).

This is the type of comment that borders on 'trolling' to me. There is no reason to suggest that they may 'not ever' ship. Not at all. This post was about the Mindstream - I kind of dislike you just coming in and making unfounded statements that have nothing (or very little) to do with the OP.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most people pay for 2 years of phone services or cable when they subscribe..all these services come with contacts and you and I happily pay it;)

Really? My phone service is like $150/ month for two phones. I should pay an entire year upfront? What discount do I get for doing that? What did you pay for your two years of service? Was that like a $2,000 payment to AT&T? I feel like we need a poll, because I have literally NEVER heard about someone paying for one or two years of phone or cable service upfront.

If you have to make up “facts”to prove your point, your point probably isn’t worth proving.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back