The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - its fascinating. (no wonder some people pay $700 for an Apex O2 monitor?)
I still do not understand why it's so expensive thu...ghl sell their o2 prob for 299...is there diffrent technologies to measure o2?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ohashimz If you have been at the doctor and they put a funny plastic cap over your thumb. The thumb become read and the doctor says 85 % saturation of blood oxygen - then you have test the technique I think they use.

@MnFish1 Fact about oxygen, saltwater and temperature. The content of free oxygen gas in water is mainly depended of the temperature in open systems. In freshwater 100% saturation of O2 is 8.25, 8.12, 7.97 and 7.84 mg/l (ppm) at 25, 26, 27 and 28 degree C. Saltwater contain around 1.5 ppm lower - it means around 6.75, 6.62, 6.47 and 6.34 mg/l (ppm). Source. 100 % saturation is not very common during night time - normally it is around 80% in a tank with a good skimmer - it means that the oxygen level is around 5.3 - 5.0 mg/l. During daytime (if there is photosynthetic organism in the system) oxygen levels can rise very high - more than 100% (supersaturation). But when the light turns down - the photosynthesis disappear and the coral animals (and fish, inverts, bacteria and other oxygen users) will lower the oxygen levels through the cell metabolism (even algae does that) If you have a tank with a huge biomass of corals (as I do) - there is a huge risk that oxygen levels can go below 5.0 ppm and that can be fatal. Low oxygen levels is also a stress factor for fish and many disease outbreak can be caused by this IMO. Before this tank - I run mainly without a skimmer and an oxydator. In this tank - I use an over-sized skimmer for aeration of my water (and for other type of gas exchange), an oxydator and a reversed refugium. all of this because of the problem with oxygen and saltwater. Below 5 mg/l (ppm) the second step in the nitrification process can stop too - known from fresh water.

Many issues with corals may be connected with low oxygen levels during night time. For fish - I have had one huge fish kill in an aquarium with much soft corals during one night - no skimmer in that tank. This with low oxygen levels during night time and a huge biomass of photosynthetic organisms is well known from planted fresh water aquariums.

Carbon dioxide is a underestimated problem too (IMO) to high CO2 levels can stress fish and even kill fish. It is also depended of the light regime because it is the waste from the respiration of O2. The pH drop you see during night time is caused by CO2 production from your organisms respiration. For me - this is two parameters that can crash a tank.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for sharing!
Love the dive deep in the topic you just did....thank you!
Am ordering o2 prob from ghl now ha ha

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the O2 probes will work but I don't think it will be the same as a pulse oximeter. They work by detecting the absorbtion rates of red and infrared light by hemoglobin. Oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin absorb those differently. I don't know if there is a substance in saltwater that acts like hemoglobin so I'm thinking there must be some other way these probes work?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a summary of O2 testing in water. According to my example - I was probably in the right country but they do not need a dye for blood testing - our hemoglobin is the dye :) the principles is light absorption, fluorescence or reflection.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do we have any screen shots of this in action with graphs on a phone or desktop ect. ?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any thoughts on how this will compare to the Hanna values we get..

"'""* The MindStream Monitor measures Carbonate Alkalinity, which is the form of alkalinity necessary to promote vibrant coral growth. Other methods measure total alkalinity, which includes carbonate, borate, and other ions and therefore are not a true representation of the amount of carbonates available for coral growth.""

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would be more accurate also the fact that's it is going to test every 15 min.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any thoughts on how this will compare to the Hanna values we get..

"'""* The MindStream Monitor measures Carbonate Alkalinity, which is the form of alkalinity necessary to promote vibrant coral growth. Other methods measure total alkalinity, which includes carbonate, borate, and other ions and therefore are not a true representation of the amount of carbonates available for coral growth.""

If you use buffers (like borate buffers) the total alkalinity may be affected - depending on how they provide the results - Mindstream only measures 'carbonate' alkalinity (which is what is most important for coral growth) - but I believe it will underestimate 'total alkalinity'

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... thought we would see some posting by now from reefers that are using this

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... thought we would see some posting by now from reefers that are using this

Beta testers had to sign an agreement saying they wouldn’t share any feedback or information publicly. The company hasn’t released the beta testers from this agreement apparently, so they still aren’t allowed to share information.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accuracy and reliability are my major concerns for this device.

Wouldn’t it be awesome to see the Mindstream, along with other testing devices, set up on the same tank and compare result? MACNA is just around the corner, just saying.

Back