The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had the leisure to read through this entire thread, but I'd like to comment on the complaints about this product and its pricing. I am a pathologist, so I know a bit about diagnostic tests. And while Mindstream tests salt water and not human body fluids, their business model is familiar.

The vendors that sell the instruments in diagnostic labs actually make most of their money on selling you the reagents to run the tests and not the instrumentation itself. However, the chemistry of the test is typically (but not always) common knowledge. They solve the problem of their business model by packing the chemical reaction in a proprietary package, thus ensuring a steady stream of revenue. Sound familiar?

As for the 30-day limit for each disc. That does not mean the test is valid on day 29 and invalid on day 30. Reagents do expire, and I am sure the testing disc deteriorates as described. What good laboratories do is study how these reagents perform over time under different conditions, and from those studies determine the proper balance between reliability of the test and economy. So, I would expect that under normal conditions the disc would work as reliably on day 31 as day 29, but there will be a point when the reliability is no longer acceptable. What is missing for us right now is the data that they generated to make this determination.

I would not be surprised if their pricing is also based on what they believe the market will bear. Remember, this is new technology, and the cost of new technology is always high. For those who are early adopters, they are willing to pay the price and live with some uncertainty. Most of us would rather wait for the technology to be more proven and the price to come down.

Personally, I am intrigued by this product and am seriously considering purchasing and performing some extensive testing of my own. How does this compare to the "gold standard" of current chemical tests? I put gold standard in quotes because sometimes the gold standard gets replaced by the new technology. Some have asked the value of tests every 15 minutes when common knowledge says that you need hours to days to reach equilibrium after addition of supplements or other changes. I would answer that while there may not be any value, I have learned of too many cases when looking at the same thing in a different way resulted in unexpected revelations.

As for the viability of this technology and the company, only time will tell....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When did you order.

Error - mine did not say shipped. I got another message from them that they had told me I would receive when the unit shipped - but they decided to send it sooner. I talked to them yesterday I orderd 8/21 they are still looking at 6-8 weeks If ordered after MACNA - they are still trying to meet 6-8 weeks but it might be longer - BTW - have you ever called or emailed to complain/question the status of your order?

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea called Today. There telling me ist week of October but wont give no date when it will ship. The way I see see it we should be the ones with the $300 discount. They have held or money for a lot longer than the backers

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Error - mine did not say shipped. I got another message from them that they had told me I would receive when the unit shipped - but they decided to send it sooner. I talked to them yesterday I orderd 8/21 they are still looking at 6-8 weeks If ordered after MACNA - they are still trying to meet 6-8 weeks but it might be longer - BTW - have you ever called or emailed to complain/question the status of your order?
I think I seen were they up it to 8 to 10 weeks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that have them, how many are putting them in your sump? Will bubbles from your skimmer be problematic (I assume they might). Just trying to figure out if I get one where the best place to put would be. My dosing pumps empty in to the return chamber so that would not be a good place. The refugium is just downstream from the skimmer so some bubbles are always in there.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those that have them, how many are putting them in your sump? Will bubbles from your skimmer be problematic (I assume they might). Just trying to figure out if I get one where the best place to put would be. My dosing pumps empty in to the return chamber so that would not be a good place. The refugium is just downstream from the skimmer so some bubbles are always in there.

Im going to try it in my sump then see how it reacts with O2/CO2 if the return goes off - and also if the rest of the stuff in the skimmer 'goes off'. If there is a clear 'alert' on one or more of the parameters - I will leave it there. If not - will mount it in the tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope you get it soon, that's a long time for them to have $1000 of your money.
Good things come to those who wait (sometimes at least):)

U

User1

View Badges
Just talked to Mindstream customer service - cant help but say - they are very helpful - and eager to take care of any issues. Friendly and prompt. (I had called to discuss the MACNA discount) - and while I did not get the MACNA discount they listened and explained their rationale in detail - but realized that perhaps it wasnt handled properly. I left my order in place (posted this only because I had said I considered cancelling). It was an interesting discussion overall - and They do read the forums.

At least you tried, right? I probably would have walked only because I've been in similar positions with more dollars at stake and every time the vendor granted the price be it Ford or Steeda for example. Granted that is a car but I've had the same thing with a boutique wine in Napa that I was purchasing.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

U

User1

View Badges
I have not had the leisure to read through this entire thread, but I'd like to comment on the complaints about this product and its pricing. I am a pathologist, so I know a bit about diagnostic tests. And while Mindstream tests salt water and not human body fluids, their business model is familiar.

The vendors that sell the instruments in diagnostic labs actually make most of their money on selling you the reagents to run the tests and not the instrumentation itself. However, the chemistry of the test is typically (but not always) common knowledge. They solve the problem of their business model by packing the chemical reaction in a proprietary package, thus ensuring a steady stream of revenue. Sound familiar?

As for the 30-day limit for each disc. That does not mean the test is valid on day 29 and invalid on day 30. Reagents do expire, and I am sure the testing disc deteriorates as described. What good laboratories do is study how these reagents perform over time under different conditions, and from those studies determine the proper balance between reliability of the test and economy. So, I would expect that under normal conditions the disc would work as reliably on day 31 as day 29, but there will be a point when the reliability is no longer acceptable. What is missing for us right now is the data that they generated to make this determination.

I would not be surprised if their pricing is also based on what they believe the market will bear. Remember, this is new technology, and the cost of new technology is always high. For those who are early adopters, they are willing to pay the price and live with some uncertainty. Most of us would rather wait for the technology to be more proven and the price to come down.

Personally, I am intrigued by this product and am seriously considering purchasing and performing some extensive testing of my own. How does this compare to the "gold standard" of current chemical tests? I put gold standard in quotes because sometimes the gold standard gets replaced by the new technology. Some have asked the value of tests every 15 minutes when common knowledge says that you need hours to days to reach equilibrium after addition of supplements or other changes. I would answer that while there may not be any value, I have learned of too many cases when looking at the same thing in a different way resulted in unexpected revelations.

As for the viability of this technology and the company, only time will tell....

While I understand the direction of your post the market will not bear the price. It will spike, then plateau, then drop and they will have to adjust. The hobby is already expensive in most cases and this is going to be a niche market. I'm coming at this from a disc subscription point of view only and not device cost.

Just my take. Always interesting to see the feedback on it. We'll see and time will tell.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emailed several times and get polite responses. Basically always saying news to the market and high demand and working on completing orders. Ordered July 6 and still have no firm date. Stating hoping to ship October 12th

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't have room in my sump with a roller mat and skimmer crammed in there. Put mine in the top back corner nearest to my desk and router. Has easy access there and not that visible except when the light comes on during test phases.

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im going on over13 weeks now.. My last email with them said should ship 1st week in oct.so still few days left we shall see. Myself thinking they or having some kind of problems because you hear of no one getting any in a while.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they aren't making them as fast as they thought they could. Nonetheless, I'd rather live with that than see them outsource the manufacturing to China...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back