The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sneaky suspicion when i hears they were not only charging $1000 for the machine but then the ridiculous monthly subscription to use the machine this would happen. I wrote the mindstream off when i found that information out.
Sorry to those that spent their money on this only to get the shaft. $1000 paper weight.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbot is also Looking at the pool market.
Lot large market than aquariums LaMotte Spintouch is another testing system.
Most testing companies cover all types of test. I spent years in the food industry. Tons of testing done there too.
I have a hard time seeing them compete with what's there already by pentair, chemtrol, accutrol and CAT/Hayward. These controllers have in depth programming and safeties built in. Obviosly chlorine and ph are the ones that need to be monitored closely and constantly. It can literally take a person less than a minute to test for cl2, ph and total alkalinity. Po4 and CH are even less frequent tests.
Maybe for a homeowner that wants to do things on their own but even then at the cost of just a chemical only pool service I don't know that it's worth it. When you have high end health clubs or million dollar residential pools you need a technician regardless

Parsec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium hobby is not a big market.
Hopefully the IP will be picked up. I can see it’s use in Pool maintenance. Which is a way bigger market than aquariums.

So I just lost $1k, never got the product, I wander if I should file a small claims, this is crap and they better make us whole by selling the IP, as far as I'm concerned that IP is part mine until I get my money back.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just lost $1k, never got the product, I wander if I should file a small claims, this is crap and they better make us whole by selling the IP, as far as I'm concerned that IP is part mine until I get my money back.
Man such a bummer

A similar issue happened with the non profit my wife was working for. The board of directors knew the company was going under, due to mismanagement of funds, however continued to take money from new clients. Company finally went belly up and all they said was "sorry"

I'd at least file a dispute with your CC company

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang.
I do feel for the people who purchased and recieved units, that are now curently rendered useless.

I would imagine that people who placed an paid for a unit, but did not get the product will be reimbursed. Or the peoe behind the. Mindstream will be in a leagle battle

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang.
I do feel for the people who purchased and recieved units, that are now curently rendered useless.

I would imagine that people who placed an paid for a unit, but did not get the product will be reimbursed. Or the peoe behind the. Mindstream will be in a leagle battle
Servers are still up and I'm still getting data. I doubt it will last for very long though.

boostedbeast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very ambitious idea for a small company. They should've sold the patents to a larger, established company that could cover the production cost and volume.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really poorly handled, Like you guys get all this funding over 7 years and the release it and THEN fail. It's frustrating waiting and watching for 7 years only to see it release and then die a few months later because of all multitude of issues.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to assume this will be picked up and used, if for nothing else industrial use. Water chemistry testing is a lot bigger then most would think. From factories and water treatment facilities to public aquariums.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to hear from him. Most companies fail. They are are sold all the time. Sometimes a big company buys them, then sales them to someone else. In 10 years, this will be a blip. We know the technology works. And tooling is expensive. It’s a huge up front cost. People purchased at that price. I planned on purchasing it, but didn’t have an opportunity. Had they stayed in business (while shipping out new orders) for a few more months, I would have and I’m sure others would have too. I’ll continue to follow the technology until someone has figured out how to produce it at scale.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked with 10 million invested that this could not get off the ground. would be interested just for wondering,... what the top level was paying themselves in salaries. 10 million.. invested and now this. makes no sense.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really poorly handled, Like you guys get all this funding over 7 years and the release it and THEN fail. It's frustrating waiting and watching for 7 years only to see it release and then die a few months later because of all multitude of issues.

Makes me think the release was a last ditch effort to save a sinking ship. It's hard to believe a release could go this poorly if a company prepared for it.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone interested in a slighty used Mindstream??

I'm extremely disappointed having lost (at least for now ) the money I paid, its hard not to feel bad for the team, they worked so hard and long only to have it fail so spectacularly right after initial release. I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the team at MACNAs over the years and they are clearly good people with a real passion to make this huge leap in the industry. I don't believe they acted out of ill will, but clearly got over their skis with the release.

But its also easy (easier, actually) to feel bad for those of us who bought these units. Bummer all around.

Seriously though, I have a very clean fully functioning Mindstream (well, until the disk expires (it has) or the cloud servers go down (not yet))!!!

Or do I keep it as a rare piece of reef keeping history?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone interested in a slighty used Mindstream??

I'm extremely disappointed having lost (at least for now ) the money I paid, its hard not to feel bad for the team, they worked so hard and long only to have it fail so spectacularly right after initial release. I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the team at MACNAs over the years and they are clearly good people with a real passion to make this huge leap in the industry. I don't believe they acted out of ill will, but clearly got over their skis with the release.

But its also easy (easier, actually) to feel bad for those of us who bought these units. Bummer all around.

Seriously though, I have a very clean fully functioning Mindstream (well, until the disk expires (it has) or the cloud servers go down (not yet))!!!

Or do I keep it as a rare piece of reef keeping history?

Have you used all of your discs already? How old is your current disc and is it reading correctly? I get bad readings on some parameters with my old disc but others are spot on.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you used all of your discs already? How old is your current disc and is it reading correctly? I get bad readings on some parameters with my old disc but others are spot on.
Alk has been reading low for the last 10 days or so. The other parameters seem to be correct.
The disk has been in use more than 30 days so that may explain the low alk reading.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk has been reading low for the last 10 days or so. The other parameters seem to be correct.
The disk has been in use more than 30 days so that may explain the low alk reading.
Yeah, that was the first thing to go on my older disc. Mag reads way higher than reality now too but cal is still somewhat close.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read that alk isn't directly measured and is derived from an equation using other measurements? If so, wouldn't that mean one (or more) of the components of the alk calculation are incorrect?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read that alk isn't directly measured and is derived from an equation using other measurements? If so, wouldn't that mean one (or more) of the components of the alk calculation are incorrect?

It's the CO2 reading that starts to go bad after 30 days. So, likely, the CO2 and the alk will be off. I don't have another way to measure CO2, so I don't know for sure.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if the disk is rinsed in RO water? I would suggest not trying that until all the usefulness is gone.

Back