The MindStream MACNA Presentation

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Reef News, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Reef News

Reef News Latest Reef News Team R2R R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Platinum Sponsor Article Contributor

From MindStream..

If you were at our workshop at the MACNA conference, you know that it was standing room only. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to present the MindStream monitor and how it will change the way we look at aquarium water chemistry to so many of you. The feedback has been incredible. We have also had a few requests to share the presentation for those who were unable to attend, so here is a link to the workshop presentation created by one of our founders and analytical chemist, Giuseppe Petrucci, for the event. We hope you enjoy it!

MACNA2015Workshop-1.jpg MACNA2015Workshop-2.png MACNA2015Workshop-3.png MACNA2015Workshop-4.png MACNA2015Workshop-5.png MACNA2015Workshop-6.png MACNA2015Workshop-7.png MACNA2015Workshop-8.png MACNA2015Workshop-9.png MACNA2015Workshop-10.png MACNA2015Workshop-11.png MACNA2015Workshop-12.png MACNA2015Workshop-13.png MACNA2015Workshop-14.png MACNA2015Workshop-15.png MACNA2015Workshop-16.png MACNA2015Workshop-17.png MACNA2015Workshop-18.png MACNA2015Workshop-19.png MACNA2015Workshop-20.png MACNA2015Workshop-21.png MACNA2015Workshop-22.png MACNA2015Workshop-23.png MACNA2015Workshop-24.png MACNA2015Workshop-25.png

Tags:

2. Reef News

Reef News Latest Reef News Team R2R R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Platinum Sponsor Article Contributor

MACNA2015Workshop-26.png MACNA2015Workshop-27.png MACNA2015Workshop-28.png MACNA2015Workshop-29.png MACNA2015Workshop-30.png MACNA2015Workshop-31.png MACNA2015Workshop-32.png MACNA2015Workshop-33.png MACNA2015Workshop-34.png MACNA2015Workshop-35.png MACNA2015Workshop-36.png MACNA2015Workshop-37.png MACNA2015Workshop-38.png MACNA2015Workshop-39.png MACNA2015Workshop-40.png MACNA2015Workshop-41.png

Myka, ReefMadScientist and lexinverts like this.
  3. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

ReefMadScientist likes this.
  4. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

Very nice. Will read this tomorrow at work when I am doing nothing...I mean working.

Could use the Mindstream right about now.

Reduck likes this.
  5. Ellery

Ellery Active Member

I can't wait for this...I signed up to Beta Test and I still hope that is possible in some way.
    Though I do wish they had included at least PO4 and hopefully Mg proves successful to be added as well. I 've never heard of the need to monitor TAN nor potassium in the Reef system.

6. Pny

Pny Member

I'm pussled by their priority of parameters... Its obvious the mindstream guys hasn't choosen the parameters from a reef tank perspective... To make up for its price tag, this machine need to add value in terms of reduced maintenance for our tanks... We dont want a $500 temperature monitor, and although important, we dont really need to measure pH, oxygen, or CO2, since 99% of us doesnt have problems with those... What they should focus on, is the 3+2 paramaters that we all constantly fiddle with... Alk, Ca, Mg, (Especially Alk and Ca) and NO3 + PO4... I consider all other parameters just extras that dont add much value to the product...

7. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

They have to measure pH and CO2 and temperature and salinity to calculate one that you do want, alkalinity. That's just the nature of how they get alkalinity. :)

Myka likes this.
  8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

For me, slides 28 and 29 are very telling. It is not a good sign when you show up for your product launch with only "Estimates" for only 3 out of 10 parameters. Then they mix accuracy, resolution and precision all on the same chart, but don't make any of the same comparisons. This to me means that either one of two things is happening:

1. They haven't done the tests yet so they have no data. (I truly doubt this)
    2. The results they've obtained are significantly off from traditional testing methods and they don't want to show the numbers (Most likely scenario IMO)

Bryman likes this.
  9. Myka

Myka Valuable Member

I was wondering the same thing, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that maybe...I don't know. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt anyway. o_O HOWEVER, our test kits really aren't that great, so a comparative accuracy to test kits doesn't interest me much. I'm more interested in a comparative accuracy to lab results. :cool:

10. Cali9dub

Cali9dub Active Member

Did this product flop or what? Haven't heard anything about the progress of this for 8 months???

11. Desmond

Desmond Well-Known Member

Yes would be very interested to know about what is happening with this product also ?

12. dannyt

dannyt Member

The product is definitely coming, they are staying silent until its close to launch ready.

13. Opus

Opus Valuable Member

I'm not sure of the long term prospects of this product if it ever makes it to launch. Unless they can get the cost down I see low sales for it after the initial hype wears off. Based on the lack of marketing skills I've seen and read about plus the fact that they keep trying to get funding, I'm not sure we will see a launch.

14. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

One of the controller companies needs to pick this up would be a perfect fit for logging data. As controller really don't monitor much other than PH, Temp, ORP and salinity.

15. Rsaalman

Rsaalman Dysfunctional Veteran

At first I was 100% into this project but it seems like its not going to happen. There would be no reason for it to take this long when they said they were ready a year ago. Nobody outside their development has even used it.

What seems more promising is the sensor developed by Bill Wann for his system. That is someone I wish would bring their product to market. Even if he did it would be years out. He even stated he would want it to interface with apex that way you could link it to dosers. Doesn't seem like we will see anything like this for a couple more years.

16. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

There is an Auto Alk doser coming out around MACNA this year. ;)

Ellery and Desmond like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted