The MindStream Pricing and Subscription Model

MindStream

Know What's In Your Water
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for all your interest and initial orders! We’ve had a lot of inquiries regarding our pricing and subscription model so we’re writing to provide a little more information that we hope will be helpful to you.

The MindStream Monitor enables reef keepers to gain a much deeper understanding of the dynamic and complex nature of saltwater chemistry in their reef tanks. It does this through a multi-parameter monitoring strategy where it automatically measures 10 critical water parameters at the same time every 15 minutes. We believe a scientific, data driven approach offers reef keepers the best opportunity to know what’s in their water and maintain a healthy reef tank.

The MindStream Monitor is a highly sophisticated electronic instrument that is priced at $995. A subscription plan provides convenient access to real-time data, insightful trends and parameter correlations, proactive text and email alerts when customizable parameter ranges are exceeded, responsive customer support, and a small pre-calibrated monthly replacement sensor disc.

We selected a subscription pricing model because customer surveys indicated the vast majority of you prefer the convenience and security of an automated monthly disc shipment over the hassles and worries of needing to purchase required consumables. Our beta testers have confirmed this. We offer customers a choice of a monthly plan for $39.95/mo. or a discounted annual plan for $34.95/mo. billed annually. These prices include free shipping on a pre-calibrated sensor disc for all 10 parameters automatically shipped to your doorstep. This disc is very easily replaced in less than 10 seconds. The sensor disc must be replaced every 30 days in order to guarantee optimal performance of the sensors – regardless of the measurement frequency.

The value of a MindStream subscription is in the immense amount of real-time data available to you for all key parameters from one convenient compact device. It requires no manual testing, no user calibration, consumes no liquid reagents, uses no tank water, requires no pumps or tubing, and generates no toxic liquid waste. Because the MindStream Monitor is so revolutionary, a direct comparison to alternative methods is not possible. But it might be helpful to know that the cost/measurement for a MindStream Monitor is less than 5% that of alternative automated methods – even if you allocate the monthly costs of operating a MindStream Monitor over just the three primary parameters of Carbonate Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium.

You may learn more about the MindStream Monitor at www.MindStreamH2O.com.

EmdeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for all your interest and initial orders! We’ve had a lot of inquiries regarding our pricing and subscription model so we’re writing to provide a little more information that we hope will be helpful to you.

The MindStream Monitor enables reef keepers to gain a much deeper understanding of the dynamic and complex nature of saltwater chemistry in their reef tanks. It does this through a multi-parameter monitoring strategy where it automatically measures 10 critical water parameters at the same time every 15 minutes. We believe a scientific, data driven approach offers reef keepers the best opportunity to know what’s in their water and maintain a healthy reef tank.

The MindStream Monitor is a highly sophisticated electronic instrument that is priced at $995. A subscription plan provides convenient access to real-time data, insightful trends and parameter correlations, proactive text and email alerts when customizable parameter ranges are exceeded, responsive customer support, and a small pre-calibrated monthly replacement sensor disc.

We selected a subscription pricing model because customer surveys indicated the vast majority of you prefer the convenience and security of an automated monthly disc shipment over the hassles and worries of needing to purchase required consumables. Our beta testers have confirmed this. We offer customers a choice of a monthly plan for $39.95/mo. or a discounted annual plan for $34.95/mo. billed annually. These prices include free shipping on a pre-calibrated sensor disc for all 10 parameters automatically shipped to your doorstep. This disc is very easily replaced in less than 10 seconds. The sensor disc must be replaced every 30 days in order to guarantee optimal performance of the sensors – regardless of the measurement frequency.

The value of a MindStream subscription is in the immense amount of real-time data available to you for all key parameters from one convenient compact device. It requires no manual testing, no user calibration, consumes no liquid reagents, uses no tank water, requires no pumps or tubing, and generates no toxic liquid waste. Because the MindStream Monitor is so revolutionary, a direct comparison to alternative methods is not possible. But it might be helpful to know that the cost/measurement for a MindStream Monitor is less than 5% that of alternative automated methods – even if you allocate the monthly costs of operating a MindStream Monitor over just the three primary parameters of Carbonate Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium.

You may learn more about the MindStream Monitor at www.MindStreamH2O.com.

What’s the accuracy for different parameters? Sorry if I missed this on the website.

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @MindStream , can you explain this?

"the cost/measurement for a MindStream Monitor is less than 5% that of alternative automated methods – even if you allocate the monthly costs of operating a MindStream Monitor over just the three primary parameters of Carbonate Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium."

The monthly operating cost of the Trident reagent, for example, is about $22 per month. Your price is $35 per month.

I don't see where that mostly cost being "less than 5%" of competitors applies- could you share your math?

EmdeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @MindStream , can you explain this?

"the cost/measurement for a MindStream Monitor is less than 5% that of alternative automated methods – even if you allocate the monthly costs of operating a MindStream Monitor over just the three primary parameters of Carbonate Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium."

The monthly operating cost of the Trident reagent, for example, is about $22 per month. Your price is $35 per month.

I don't see where that mostly cost being "less than 5%" of competitors applies- could you share your math?

Cost of trident, Alkatronic (you name it) to do 96 measures a day (not arguing whether necessary) would be much higher than $22.

EmdeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah it’s definitely sweet- cant wait to hear some feedback from users.
Agree, I’m curious about accuracy. If good, this would be revolutionary considering that it is the first “real time” monitor. While we may not need 96 measures a day, my guess is that we will be learning a lot more about water chemistry patterns which may lead to all sorts of new discoveries :)

Butuz

View Badges
Reaction score
I can’t envision a situation where 96 measurements a day would be helpful, let alone using that to back a claim that it costs 5% of typical testing. What am i missing?! Might as well claim that it costs less than 1% compared to doing 480 manual measurements a day.

Butuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong. If this thing is accurate and works as advertised, it is a game changer. But I wouldn't use questionable facts to make it more appealing. If it works as intended, you don’t need to rationalize the price. Apple doesnt try to persuade the value of their phone by benchmarking against others, especially as you claim, when there is no direct competitor. In the meantime, I wait until the first round of mass feedback before pulling the trigger.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
@MindStream
This is great news and getting a lot a buzz on Reef 2 Reef.

Can you let your beta guys loose, and encourage them to come on Reef 2 Reef, to share their experiences?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The value of the MM is not in a direct comparison to any other device.

For example, it tests O2 every 15 minutes. That would cost thousands a year to do anywhere close to as accurately and precisely as MM does it. You might not care about O2, but it's the most important parameter to monitor often and I would pay the same fees for just O2 alone.

EmdeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Learning more about alkalinity consumption in almost real time under different conditions in a tank could be worth its weight in gold. Don’t get me started about the interplay between different elements. The recovering scientist in me needs an SA meeting!

Of course, all this hinges on good accuracy and precision.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
I think the testing technology here is great and I can’t wait for real world reviews. But, the introductory pricing and and a subscription service is too expensive for just a testing device imo. Of the 10 parameters tested most are not even needed to maintain a great reef tank. The quote about surveying people and the majority wanted a subscription seems off to me as well. The pricing will need to drop after the launch or the brand needs to grow with more products that add additional features and benefits to be worth the high costs.

Gokulnath Kanagaraj

View Badges
Reaction score
@MindStream I really appreciate the in innovative product that helps reefers monitor their tank parameters real-time. Kudos ! Just a quick question, is it $995 payment one-time and then replacement sensors are available only through subscription option which costs $35 per month ?

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
@MindStream I really appreciate the in innovative product that helps reefers monitor their tank parameters real-time. Kudos ! Just a quick question, is it $995 payment one-time and then replacement sensors are available only through subscription option which costs $35 per month ?
Yes. That is the plan to my knowledge

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
35 a month if you pay an year up front / 40 a month if you pay one month at a time.

It has a one year warranty. To me for $1000 and a monthly fee. It should come with a way longer warranty.

Or an different monthly package that covers everything after the first year.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
35 a month if you pay an year up front / 40 a month if you pay one month at a time.

It has a one year warranty. To me for $1000 and a monthly fee. It should come with a way longer warranty.

Or an different monthly package that covers everything after the first year.
It should come with a longer warranty. But, it’s a new company and a new product. They may not be around in 3yrs depending on how this product sells and performs in the marketplace. If you are an early adopter you assume some risk with purchases like this. I’d be more worried about the sustainability of the company not the warranty policy.

Butuz

View Badges
Reaction score
“A subscription plan provides convenient access to real-time data, insightful trends and parameter correlations, proactive text and email alerts when customizable parameter ranges are exceeded, responsive customer support, and a small pre-calibrated monthly replacement sensor disc.”

I really dislike this narrative. Let me break it down:

‘A subscription plan provides convenient access to real-time data” - yes, for $1,000 and a disc every month, I assume there would be a way to see the results of these tests. How is this again part of monthly fee? In other words, are you telling me that after I spend $1,000, I can’t view the test results real-time unless I pay a monthly fee?

“insightful trends and parameter correlations, proactive text and email alerts when customizable parameter ranges are exceeded” - this is basic and is offered by every vendor both within reefing community and outside. It is year 2019, taking the readings and pushing them into a Tableau visualization should be part of a base $1,000 fee. eKoral doesn’t charge me a monthly fee for me to see trend graphs on their PH, salinity, Temp probes. And I paid slightly less than $1,00o for their controller. If @MindStream feels this is a premium option, then offer this at an extra charge as an option.

“responsive customer support” - hmmm, I don’t even know where to start. So without a monthly fee, there is no customer support? On a $1,00o item? If margins are tight, then offer customer service calls at 99c a minute.

“and a small pre-calibrated monthly replacement sensor disc” - now we have gotten to the core. How much do these discs cost? I’d love to see an option where I can only buy cartridges needed, not pay for mindstream to justify their overhead.

Sorry for an abrasive tone, but you guys have a good product, but completely missing the mark on the commercial side. You guys need to expand the focus group beyond family and friends. Happy to participate to help you make this a win-win for the company that has heavily invested in this product and for consumers who can make it a commercial success for you. That needs an equilibrium, not a heavily rationalized and bloated explanation.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
It should come with a longer warranty. But, it’s a new company and a new product. They may not be around in 3yrs depending on how this product sells and performs in the marketplace. If you are an early adopter you assume some risk with purchases like this. I’d be more worried about the sustainability of the company not the warranty policy.
Just to add an additional thought: With a one product company that likely has a US patent and potentially international patents there is a chance they sell the patent and tech. Which could mean a few things but a couple of scenarios are: 1. They sell to a manufacturer in the aquarium industry and they use the tech with their controller. ie: GHL, Neptune, RA, etc. Which could be good but still an inconvenience to consumers who purchased since the tech would still be available but they’d have to buy into that new company for continued use. 2. Or, they sell the patents and tech to a business or government outside of the aquarium industry and they dissolve the Mindstream entity and you log into their portal to find out you have a $1k paperweight.

Last edited:

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 66 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 70 46.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 10.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aquaticlife
Aqua SD