The MindStream Pricing and Subscription Model

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
100% agree....Mr.marketing vp was lashing out left and right at people...each company has its culture.
I am not happy with MM responsiveness thiugh5..maybe they are responding on a diffrent platform, I would not expect this thread is the only way to reach them, but I am not sure yet..
They are on Facebook - and another site

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t think the cost is what scares me. The monthly delivery is what does. Yes it’s annoying to pay monthly but it’s the we ran out of supply or it’s late or broken that worries me. I’ve spent more on other stupid products that are now dead and gone. Another is not provided po4. Some of these others they provide seem more than useless at least in my experience.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
I just re-read the thread - the only question thats been asked (that wasn't answered in the OP) is the one below. LOL. Most of the comments have been much like the negative comments on the Neptune threads - the negative people were negative - the positive people were positive - and Neptune decided to just not answer. So - I dont think you're correct. I've also looked at the posts on other Mindstream forums - and its all the same. Complaining about the kickstarter, etc etc etc - Its old news - who cares?
Actually quite a few questions have been asked that have not been answered by the company. Just because you and some others want to speculate on an answer, doesn’t mean the question was answered.

The question regarding the details on accuracy of the testing parameters, the question regarding if there will be any options to buy disc outside of the subscription, the question on what exactly is included in the subscription vs. what will work w/o it (ie. if I don’t do the subscription does the device do anything or is it just a paperweight), the question on how it’s handled if I stop/suspend the subscription (ie. is my data maintained until I restart, do I get to keep it, is it purged from their system).. and that was just the valid questions from the 1st page..

I think the tech sounds cool and all, and I do tend to ‘early adopt’ stuff but if they want to build/maintain a good reputation with the community, being involved in a discussion THEY started seems like an obvious first step.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Actually quite a few questions have been asked that have not been answered by the company. Just because you and some others want to speculate on an answer, doesn’t mean the question was answered.

The question regarding the details on accuracy of the testing parameters, the question regarding if there will be any options to buy disc outside of the subscription, the question on what exactly is included in the subscription vs. what will work w/o it (ie. if I don’t do the subscription does the device do anything or is it just a paperweight), the question on how it’s handled if I stop/suspend the subscription (ie. is my data maintained until I restart, do I get to keep it, is it purged from their system).. and that was just the valid questions from the 1st page..

I think the tech sounds cool and all, and I do tend to ‘early adopt’ stuff but if they want to build/maintain a good reputation with the community, being involved in a discussion THEY started seems like an obvious first step.
I've read at least this thread - could find one - what are the other questions. I mean - I dont disbelieve you that questions have not been answered in the past - but it seems to me (at least from what I've read) most of those have been answered - if not - what are they - I'm interested in the questions. What I've seen here is people complaining about not having questions answered over the last couple years (over and over).

BTW - just like Neptune - who also refused to answer (and rightly so) questions about the Trident (marketing, pricing decisions, etc etc) I dont think every question asked of a company is appropriate. I.e. 'Why does it cost so much?', 'Why does it have to be changed every month?' (which was answered on their Facebook page), etc. What exactly are the pressing questions?

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
I would buy one in a nanosecond - as compared to the other monitors out there. I'm glad I held off on the Trident until I saw this. Why do you care how much the disc costs? LOL There - I'm one member of the focus group - and I am neither family nor friend. The parameters tested are so far advanced of the others (if it works) - its a no brainer (for me). BTW - I will say the same thing to them that I did to Neptune. The cost/test is meaningless - if you dont need that data. So - I dont think its fair to divide the cost by the number of tests.
Are you saying you are a member of the focus group?

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
From here:

I probably misunderstood.

OH I see what you mean - sorry - someone said they needed to expand the focus group beyond family and friends (implying that everyone that seems to like the technology was a family member or friend. I just meant - I agree with the technology - (so if I were in the focus group I would be as positive as family and friend - it was more of a hypothetical focus group). Sorry :)

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
I thought things through and ended up cancelling my order. I had reached out with a question on Facebook messenger and didn’t receive a response, asked questions via the website form and no response and only received a reply when asking for cancellation. Also, if it was only friends and family and they still have no reviews out, that throws a red flag for me. That combined with the high subscription price, which is even higher if you don’t prepay, I will continue waiting for a Trident.

EDIT - I also DO NOT like being charged up front for something that will not be delivered for 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I thought things through and ended up cancelling my order. I had reached out with a question on Facebook messenger and didn’t receive a response, asked questions via the website form and no response and only received a reply when asking for cancellation. Also, if it was only friends and family and they still have no reviews out, that throws a red flag for me. That combined with the high subscription price, which is even higher if you don’t prepay, I will continue waiting for a Trident.

EDIT - I also DO NOT like being charged up front for something that will not be delivered for 6-8 weeks.
Curious - when you placed the order it said it wouldn't ship for 6-8 weeks, curious - who said it was 'only for friends and family', and many others have posted here that they have had issues contacting the company - but not on Facebook. Not questioning your decision, etc - but since I'm trying to make the same decisions I was just wondering - I mean you also knew about the subscription price before you ordered.What kind of monitor did you decide to use - and why?

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Curious - when you placed the order it said it wouldn't ship for 6-8 weeks, curious - who said it was 'only for friends and family', and many others have posted here that they have had issues contacting the company - but not on Facebook. Not questioning your decision, etc - but since I'm trying to make the same decisions I was just wondering - I mean you also knew about the subscription price before you ordered.What kind of monitor did you decide to use - and why?
The test phase was reportedly to friends and family, thought that was mentioned in this very thread. There are sIll zero reviews and they stated that that is due to the NDA, but why have the NDA go past product release?

I did know about the subscription price before hand, but the more I thought about it the more it didn’t make sense to charge more for a monthly subscription versus paying for a year up front, especially when everyone HAS to have a new disc monthly for the unit to work. People will HAVE to buy the disc monthly.

I did NOT know they were charging the full price up front and had expected that to be charged when shipped. There was nothing to reflect that on the website at the time of order.

My gut instinct was telling me to cancel. Too many red flags for me. I hope everyone gets what they are expecting and that the responsiveness of the company to customers BEFORE they want to cancel the order, changes.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
The test phase was reportedly to friends and family, thought that was mentioned in this very thread. There are sIll zero reviews and they stated that that is due to the NDA, but why have the NDA go past product release?
I'm not sure why they haven't released the beta testers from the NDAs yet. They do apparently offer a 45-day money back guarantee. It seems like they are confident in their product in its current form.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

They also haven't been on the forum since July 8 according to their profile, another red flag?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
They also haven't been on the forum since July 8 according to their profile, another red flag?
Not necessarily. It suggests 2 things to me.

1) They are not a large company and they have allocated limited resources on getting the first wave of orders out. They mentioned that they would not be very active here until “they got their feet under them.”
2) They already have plenty of orders.

Once the first wave of buyers gets their units and have questions and feedback, I think they’ll need to be more present on the forums.

Adventures In Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It suggests 2 things to me.

1) They are not a large company and they have allocated limited resources on getting the first wave of orders out. They mentioned that they would not be very active here until “they got their feet under them.”
2) They already have plenty of orders.

Once the first wave of buyers gets their units and have questions and feedback, I think they’ll need to be more present on the forums.
I see both of those as negatives.
1. Everyone knows social media can make or break a new company to go a month without a simple blurb to one of the industry leading blogs / forums is strange to me.
2. I don't care how many orders you have it is never enough in my opinion. I am a business owner and I have been inundated with orders on many occasions but I would never say there are enough if I want to maintain a high level of success.

Maybe I am wrong but the whole thing to me is a bit shady at this point.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I guess I dont think it is simply reasonable to 'expect' that a company go on to any or all sites that may discuss their products - when they have multiple other public social media presences. From what I've read - every question that people keep asking - when is it going to be delivered, etc etc etc. has already been answered. There are also multiple threads discussing the Mindstream - and I believe that they have shipped the first units already.

I do not think its a red flag. Funny thing - the same thing was said about the trident.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
1. Everyone knows social media can make or break a new company to go a month without a simple blurb to one of the industry leading blogs / forums is strange to me.
2. I don't care how many orders you have it is never enough in my opinion. I am a business owner and I have been inundated with orders on many occasions but I would never say there are enough if I want to maintain a high level of success.

Apparently they are shipping out their first orders today, so you won’t have to wait long to find out.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

I think you're right about the 2 points you make (i.e. #1 and #2) - but neither of those points suggest that anything is 'shady' - which implies misleading, illegal, etc. I always think its curious when a poster suggests some reason a company might be doing something (which may or may not ev en be true) - and this is followed by comments like the one above that suggest that this implies the company is doing something wrong or 'shady'. At this point - we don't know why Mindstream makers are not posting non-stop on this site - or if it has anything to do with the number of orders they already have?

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they haven't released the beta testers from the NDAs yet. They do apparently offer a 45-day money back guarantee. It seems like they are confident in their product in its current form.
It took a fair bit of time before Neptune released the beta testers from NDA - I do not believe that it was before the product was shipped to the public...

Adventures In Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
I guess I dont think it is simply reasonable to 'expect' that a company go on to any or all sites that may discuss their products - when they have multiple other public social media presences. From what I've read - every question that people keep asking - when is it going to be delivered, etc etc etc. has already been answered. There are also multiple threads discussing the Mindstream - and I believe that they have shipped the first units already.

I do not think its a red flag. Funny thing - the same thing was said about the trident.
I remember them saying similar things about the Trident but, the big deference, Neptune was already a proven tech company.

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 66 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 70 46.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 10.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Corals.com
Cultivated Reef