The most beautiful Clownfish I've ever seen!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are all these weird clowns coming about. are we messing with clowns like they did with goldfish now. we will just create a disease prone fish that cannot swim or reproduce. Why do people have to mess with nature , arnt our fish beautiful enough already

Why do you have another breed of dog other than wolf? You're just messing with nature, aren't wolves beautiful enough?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies, clowns, cats, etc., their animals. People have always manipulated their characteristics and always will. But the more I look at all these goofed up clown fish, the less I like them. To each his own.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh oh oh I wanna be part of this. So bear with me here but how do we know these traits are "defects" obviously the starting point for all these breeds were found in the wild(I'm not saying how far they have taken it is found). Whose to say that these fish were on the evolutionary uprising. Now let's imagine you breed 2 of these fish that wouldn't happen in the wild until there is more prevalence of them in the ocean. Well bam now you made it happen earlier. And as you keep breeding this "superior gene" the continue to reach there evolutionary maturity. Now I'm not saying this is the case but it's definitely probable. Do you think the cuttle fish just thought one day in its evolutionary process "man I wanna be able to flash colors".I really do not see this as negative gene manipulation until bone/organ/gait is effected also if you are manipulating alleles by gene splicing. Now on the other hand if us as hobbyistrs continue to purchase these "designer clowns" for astronomical prices and these ridiculously named corals we can look forward to the continued price gauging that is happening in our hobby. I can still remember walking in to a lfs and seeing a frag tank with 10,20,35 dollar frags . Now for a decent frag you'd be hard pressed to find for 80-200.

cobast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps they should put some effort into breeding out the aggression of clowns, particularly in the females. I hate that they bully the little guy into a dark corner and limit his feeding.

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know guys? I started this hobby because this guy
lg80188OcellarisClownfish.jpg
I truly think he looks better. Just my opinion.
I agree 100%

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost him (Bullet), but my last bar gray clown was different and looked awesome. Not digging the blue at all. Maroon clowns are my favorite, but just to mean and also to big.

IMG_20170420_135736.jpg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today alone I shipped out 2 pairs to 2 different stores. Ask your local store to place an order with us and to get some Sapphires!

They're beautiful! I will ask. BTW, I like really jagged edges on snowflakes. :)

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a good look at my clown fishes after seeing that picture and mine actually have some blue on them. This one has more blue than the other one. It's was hard to get a good picture but you can still see it in this picture. Much more noticeable in person.

20180311_144040.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you have another breed of dog other than wolf? You're just messing with nature, aren't wolves beautiful enough?
Lol, true, but original dogs originally came from a roughly 40 to 60 pound animal.
The working breeds that stayed in that range and didn't try to create something bizarre like a pushed in nose are generally pretty healthy.
Some of the more extreme breeds are a genetic nightmare unable to even give birth without a C-section.
It just depends on how 'exotic' you get with the breeding.

The clownfish are no different. How limited a gene pool are you working with to create that beautiful blue clownfish?
[emoji53]

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all clowns, they all are uniquely different. I am partial to the standard orange and white ones- they were my first saltwater fish and they have a special place in my heart. I will always have at least one for as long as I am in the hobby.

I have a female standard one that's approaching 4 years. Her mate died year and half ago so I got a black phantom for her. They are a breeding bonded pair.
I also have a pair of frostbites (in a different tank of course)- one of them I am not sure if it is a frostbite, there's no black on him at all. Orange and white.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are all these weird clowns coming about. are we messing with clowns like they did with goldfish now. we will just create a disease prone fish that cannot swim or reproduce. Why do people have to mess with nature , arnt our fish beautiful enough already

Are you assuming the "Natural" looking clowns just popped up looking the way they do in the ocean? I can assure you they didn't start out looking that way. Evolution did that to them, it just took a lot longer than breeders are doing with them currently. BTW there's plenty of oddities within a particular species in the ocean as it is, traits that exist within a species like say clownfish that naturally happen in the ocean.

Just because a breeder breeds towards a specific trait that naturally already exists doesn't mean that the end result will render that fish in this case disease prone or unable to function properly. Like another person already mentioned you may very well have a dog as a pet and in that case humans have played a role to make that animal more pleasing whether it came in the form of temperament or aesthetics.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you assuming the "Natural" looking clowns just popped up looking the way they do in the ocean? I can assure you they didn't start out looking that way. Evolution did that to them, it just took a lot longer than breeders are doing with them currently. BTW there's plenty of oddities within a particular species in the ocean as it is, traits that exist within a species like say clownfish that naturally happen in the ocean.

Just because a breeder breeds towards a specific trait that naturally already exists doesn't mean that the end result will render that fish in this case disease prone or unable to function properly. Like another person already mentioned you may very well have a dog as a pet and in that case humans have played a role to make that animal more pleasing whether it came in the form of temperament or aesthetics.
My comment about dog breeds wasn't very clear. Sorry about that.

I think a number of dog breeds suck and the original creators of those breeds should be have been penalized somehow.

"Knowing when to say when" doesn't just apply to alcohol abuse.
[emoji53]

We own a collection of each of the colors of the Glofish tetras. (Yes, I am financially supporting the "deformaties" industry) And a regular black tetra as a baseline. Black original is 4+ years old.
The beautiful genetic mashup color pops live for about a year-and-a-half.

Something usually gets sacrificed when something else gets added/changed.

Right now (AFAIK) the clownfish breeders are still doing traditional cross breeding and back crossing.
Some of the results are stunning and quite beautiful!
But I always wonder what traits are sacrificed and what defects are being amplified in the process.
(Many pure white dogs go deaf. Even without creating obvious physical deformaties, overall size, elongated limbs or trunk, something as simple as a color change can have unexpected results)

Some alterations can be useful.
Salmon that grow twice as fast to bring to market much sooner are intriguing.
As 'food' fish, the changes made may not be as critical.
As fish that will inevitably 'escape' to wild population, who knows.
(Some of the current possible rules for approval involve only growing the genetically altered salmon in landlocked areas far from the ocean. We will see how long that lasts)

Science and technology are awesome!

What we do with them is usually awesome. Not always.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment about dog breeds wasn't very clear. Sorry about that.

I think a number of dog breeds suck and the original creators of those breeds should be have been penalized somehow.

"Knowing when to say when" doesn't just apply to alcohol abuse.
[emoji53]

We own a collection of each of the colors of the Glofish tetras. (Yes, I am financially supporting the "deformaties" industry) And a regular black tetra as a baseline. Black original is 4+ years old.
The beautiful genetic mashup color pops live for about a year-and-a-half.

Something usually gets sacrificed when something else gets added/changed.

Right now (AFAIK) the clownfish breeders are still doing traditional cross breeding and back crossing.
Some of the results are stunning and quite beautiful!
But I always wonder what traits are sacrificed and what defects are being amplified in the process.
(Many pure white dogs go deaf. Even without creating obvious physical deformaties, overall size, elongated limbs or trunk, something as simple as a color change can have unexpected results)

Some alterations can be useful.
Salmon that grow twice as fast to bring to market much sooner are intriguing.
As 'food' fish, the changes made may not be as critical.
As fish that will inevitably 'escape' to wild population, who knows.
(Some of the current possible rules for approval involve only growing the genetically altered salmon in landlocked areas far from the ocean. We will see how long that lasts)

Science and technology are awesome!

What we do with them is usually awesome. Not always.

In general we're basically throwing live stock from the ocean into a petri dish in this hobby so IMO i don't have a leg to stand on when talking about what a breeder does...just my two cents.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Picasso clown.
As long as they stick with selective breeding, I am good with it. My clown seems perfectly happy and healthy and the only reason she no longer has a mate is because she chased him out of the tank.
Darn female clowns.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back