The MOST beautiful fish and fish types in the hobby! Do you have one?

What "type" of fish do you think are the overall most beautiful fish in the hobby?

• Angelfish

Votes: 264 31.0%
  • Anthias

Votes: 38 4.5%
  • Basslets

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Blennies

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 44 5.2%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Dottybacks

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 81 9.5%
  • Eels

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Foxface

• Gobies

• Hawkfish

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Jawfish

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Pipefish

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Seahorses

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • Tangs

Votes: 129 15.1%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 170 20.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 40 4.7%

• Total voters

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger

71304F6A-7404-4567-BE7D-ABA518A2E156.jpeg
I don't know what it is but triggers have this ridiculous inverse relationship of good looks and level of reef safeness. Angels tend to follow a similar path, but have a few more good looking w/ caution options than triggers.

Last edited:

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not on the list, Triggers! If I had to pick one outta 6 I have its my Clown with the Assasi a close second.
20201114_105101.jpg
How do the clown triggers do in a reef tank? How big is your tank? I have a picasso and niger in my 180 gal. My picasso occasionally nibbles a coral but not much.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great looking fish available. Not just one type has the best beauty but some types have more than others!

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think the Aurora Anthias takes the cake. The Males have a really sweet color pattern / mix, and I know Biota has them Captive Bred time to time.

But Overall, I think the Fairy / Flasher Wrasses have the best colors. Also since they're more readily available, like the Lineatus, Madagascar, etc
Screenshot_20210707-133748_Chrome.jpg

HUTCH360

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Wednesday Reef Fam!

Today let's talk about those beautiful little swimmers that make up the elegant movement of our saltwater reef glass boxes of water! Otherwise known as saltwater fish! :p It is said that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I think as far as fish go we may be able to come to a consensus or at least a majority vote on this thing! So let's talk about it!

1. What ONE fish do you think is the MOST beautiful fish in the hobby?

2. What "types" of fish do you think are the overall most beautiful fish in the hobby?
(Angels, Wrasse, Gobies, and so on etc?)

Photo by @LiveAquaria
1.jpg
I'm sorry, the only correct answer is "All of the above"

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impossible to pick as there’s so many stunning fish to pick, but a group of anthius in big tank that’s full of stick coral heads is so beautiful!! I love groups of fish that school together !

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Pomacanthus and Holocanthus Angels. And it's not even close...

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today let's talk about those beautiful little swimmers that make up the elegant movement of our saltwater reef glass boxes of water! Otherwise known as saltwater fish! :p It is said that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I think as far as fish go we may be able to come to a consensus or at least a majority vote on this thing! So let's talk about it!

2. What "types" of fish do you think are the overall most beautiful fish in the hobby?

Photo by @LiveAquaria
1.jpg

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose Other.. Why?

I know most have favorites but, how can you seriously pick one group over another with so much diversity within each group?

If I were picking, its a ties between, the ones listed below... I mean, how can anyone really choose one. I bet you can say something good about each of the following groups.

Angelfish, Anthias, Basslets, Blennies, Butterfly Fish, Clownfish, Dartfish, Dottybacks, Dragonets,

Foxface, Gobies, Hawkfish, Jawfish, Pipefish, Tangs, Triggers, Wrass.

Now if it were only a decision on just color, more of them might be eliminated. However, you have to add personalities, living habits, feeding habits etc.

I bet you cant eat just one?

Last edited:

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG @revhtree - What is that gorgeous angel? And will it cost less than my car?

Photo by @LiveAquaria
1.jpg
I replied “Other” because there are TOO MANY beautiful species of swimmers: from regal radiata lions, to psychedelic mandarins, to flirty clowns, to scifi-ish frogfish, to flowing speckled marine bettas, and the gorgeousness/rareness of so many tangs to contemplate. Angels are special beauties, along with heavenly anthias of so many color palettes…. I cannot choose….. I am fortunate to have known some of these beauties, and still do.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back