The most beautiful reef-safe wrasse is the epitome of beauty in a saltwater aquarium. But which one is it?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Attention wrasse lovers!

When it comes to reef-safe wrasses, there are many options, each with their own unique characteristics and beauty. The vibrant colors and patterns of the Fairy Wrasse are captivating no doubt! The variety of colors, the graceful swimming movements, and compatibility with other fish make the reef-safe wrasse a centerpiece for many reefs here at R2R and within the hobby as a whole. But which one is the most beautiful? I need your help!

Which reef-safe wrasse do you consider to be the epitome of beauty in a reef tank?

parachellinusattenuatussarab9-29-10b.jpg

Parachellinus: The “Flasher” wrasse image via @gparr

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the Anampses or tamarin wrasse are probably the most beautiful. The top 3 being the A Chrysocephalus, the A femininus, and the A lennardi. Unfortunately the first is Hawaiian and the next two are out of my price range. However my Anampses meleagrides is still very beautiful:

IMG_3102.jpeg

After them for me are the Leopards or the Macropharyngodon. They just have the issue that the males are not nearly as pretty. M cyanoguttatus, M geoffoyri, and M Choati are the best of this genus but I love my Red Sea, M marisrubri:

IMG_2887.jpeg

Of course then there are the flashers and fairies, Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus. These can be a little bland as juveniles and females but once they go male they usually become stunning. My favorites of these are difficult as they are all pretty equal if different but if pressed I’d go with the blue flasher, P cyaneus.

Some honorable mentions to other wrasse like the beautiful Pseudojuloides atavai, and one of my personal favorites the radiant wrasse, Halichoeres iridis:

IMG_3165.jpeg

I’d keep going but luckily “reef safe” was stipulated.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hard to choose! I agree the diamond tail flasher is one of the nicest... but there's so many beautiful wrasses!

Diamond tail flasher and Johnson's Fairy
051220222.jpg

Nahacky's Fairy
010420221.jpg

Earmuff wrasse
06022022.jpg

Radiant wrasse
05102023.jpg

Splendid pencil wrasse
01272023.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo, dragon wrasse before it matures.

edit: i completely blocked the phrase reef-safe from my brain when posting... i change my vote to the blue flasher wrasse.
I’m getting a couple blues in soon I think! Can’t wait!
IMG_6893.png

Back